edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

i don't know what striders you're looking at, but sng is 400... got it for lower... nothing wrong with a used strider, because strider offers you a lifetime warranty with no questions asked, as long as you haven't done any modifications that affects performance.

i used my sng to pry an abalone out its shell. worked great. just an overall beater/tank folder.

i'm not a fan of emersons... my cqc14 had problems with the lock, i sent it back for a fix and received it with the same problem. never had to send my sng back, but i bet it'll come back better than ever. i do love the sweater though.

i have a small sebenza 21 and i love it. i'm hoping to pick up a large plain one. i don't like the inlay designs. i wish it came with flatgrind though.

Concerning the cqc14 lock problems, that's why I mentioned the comrade, cause it has a similar framelock to your Strider..

Anyway, I was just wondering if there was anything particular about that brand (materials, construction, quality control, etc), cause IMO the premium they ask seems a bit hefty for production knives. They're cool, but at those prices, I'm not sure I'd be willing to do anything with one other than look at it :o

On a related note, I just received 2 new knives in the mail :D

I'll try to post a review and pics or a video this weekend when I go back home, I don't have a camera right now.

yup...they are junk.

I lost my other key last quarter :( Thankfully I was in the process of locking my bike up when it happened. For now I'm just using a spare cable lock I have while my u-lock dangles. Do you think bolt cutters can get through it? (sorry for getting off topic)

Hey, quick questions on the flashlights.

The thing that's holding me back from jumping on a Quark mini is that, from what I've read, I would need Lithium batteries for the AA and AAA version.

That shit's expensive as shit... Can they run on normal Duracell batteries? If they can, what's the power loss?

Also, I've read that some other flashlights can't handle the voltage output of a lithium battery. Do these lights have a lower light output?

And lastly, how accurate are the Lumens outputs for the Maratac AAA?

Low - 1.5 Lumens

High - 80 Lumens

http://countycomm.com/aaa.html

Hold on there, back up a bit.

The Quark Mini does not come in an AAA variety, first of all. Only the AA variety. AAA is 4sevens Preon line.

Next: distinction between lithium primary and rechargable[i/] lithium-ion (known as Li-ion).

Lithium primaries such as Energizer L92 are perfectly fine in AA lights, better than alkalines, but not necessary. Alkalines work fine in AA lights but there are several downsides, such as the possibility of an alkaline leak in a light that isn't used very frequently.

Lithium-ion cells are often denoted by the dimensions of the battery, for example AA is 14500.. 14mm diameter, 50mm length, 0 indicates a button/flat top of the cell etc. Li-ion chemistries are rechargable, but note that they are much higher voltage (3.7 nominal/working voltage, 4.2V max voltage) as opposed to the standard alkaline 1.5V. Putting a li-ion rechargable in a light rated for alkalines would do a number on the circuit.

Lastly, li-ion chemistries have much lower runtimes as they have a smaller capacity, especially those with protection circuits that take up more space in the cell.

The upsides to using li-ion batteries in flashlights that CAN support the voltage are that first of all they are rechargable, but secondly because the increase in voltage would basically mean an increase in brightness. In many cases, a little bit over double (voltage more than doubles). So a Quark MiniAA at 70lumens OTF gets 189 lumens OTF like the CR123 version on a li-ion rechargable (14500).

IMO, the best solution if you are not comfortable with running Li-ion AAs is NiMH chemistry, which are also rechargable with decent capacity and standard voltage.

Look for Sanyo Eneloop low self discharge (LSD) cells, or Duraloops, which are rechargable Duracells w/ white tops (rebranded eneloops).

Hope that helps.

from some swedish forum

for all y'all fiendin for all-black everything

edc1.jpg

Hello Kitty Band-aid

Gerber Multiplier 600

CRKT Get a way driver

Benchmade 5300SBK (Presidio Auto)

ToolLogic Credit card companion

Zak Tools cuff key

Fenix P3D

Casio G-shock Mudman

Oakley Monster Dog

Kershaw screw tool (?)

yup...they are junk.

I lost my other key last quarter :( Thankfully I was in the process of locking my bike up when it happened. For now I'm just using a spare cable lock I have while my u-lock dangles. Do you think bolt cutters can get through it? (sorry for getting off topic)

Cable locks are VERY easy to get through. Don't use a cable lock as your only lock.

Back on topic:

Decided to do a bag dump:

dsc04917a.jpg

Ortlieb medium messenger bag, Kryptonite combo lock, Kryptonite NY lock, CF hand pump, Stanley folding hex key set, Pedro's tire levers, some crescent wrench I found at home (don't plan on carrying it anymore though because of the following), and Atwood Metwrench.

I don't always carry everything up there, only when I have my bike with me.

dsc04918m.jpg

Engineering paper, random books, safety lab goggles, Ti-89, Lamy Safari, Uni-ball Micro Deluxe, Bic pencil .5mm, Sharpie, eraser, and Piccadilly notebooks per class.

EDIT: I don't always carry all these books/notebooks. It depends on what classes I have that day. And the two pens and metwrench are in my pockets.

School is a bitch this semester. Can someone recommend me some nice 0.5mm mechanical pencils?

some of you people carry way too much shit

and some of you readers are posting way too much shit. generally people only carry what they feel is necessary, so kindly take your trolling elsewhere. at least offer minimalist alternatives.

IRX: why the fck you carrying all your books at once for? i don't even do that.. and i might be ordering some 0.5mm pencils, if i do i'll review them and let you know. i'm gonna stop advocating things without reviewing them first, because it seems a lot of my suggestions only end up in mindless copping --> complaints because they dont fully understand what they're buying

yea im grumpy, wanna fight about it

looks like second year engineering (mechanical probably) to me. thats the year i drank the most. i highly recommend that.

You are correct in all cases except for the drinking part (for now...maybe...).

Kuru Toga, no doubt. Auto-rotating pencil lead so you dont have to deal with dull lead tips. Next level stuff

its on Jetpens

Thanks, never heard of this auto -rotating thing. I'll check it out.

IRX: why the fck you carrying all your books at once for?

Oooh haha, thought it was implied that I carry only the books I have classes in for that day.

Basically any bike lock can be picked. Even the "unbreakable" Kryptonite Evolution 2000 can be broken into

yeah, it's just the matter of how long it takes to cut through the lock. Best bet is to lock up in high traffic area/two u-locks/well lit areas/etc.

I don't think so. I've come to trust that they actually use this stuff, I'm still baffled as to how though. I carry nothing and am never like "man i wish i had a flashlight/knife/whatever". exciting lives I guess.

Last week, I had to fend off a lion with my mini-grip. But in reality, today I couldn't find my scissors, so I used my knife + ruler to do some paper cutting.

today in lab, I needed to turn in a paper and it didn't have perforated edges, so i just used my SAK's scissors to cut it out, no problem..

the bus driver almost left without letting me on, srsly was about to blind the fck out of her to get her attention but luckily i didnt have to resort to that..

and i used my handkerchief to wipe my face after the rain repeatedly bitchslapped me.

i rarely have to use my knife, tbh. my flashlight is getting less use as well.. sharbo x is always out though, since i'm in school. but just because i don't use them as often as others, should I stop carrying them? I don't think so, if I can make them available and it doesn't bother me, why limit my options? etc.

today in lab, I needed to turn in a paper and it didn't have perforated edges, so i just used my SAK's scissors to cut it out, no problem..

the bus driver almost left without letting me on, srsly was about to blind the fck out of her to get her attention but luckily i didnt have to resort to that..

and i used my handkerchief to wipe my face after the rain repeatedly bitchslapped me.

i rarely have to use my knife, tbh. my flashlight is getting less use as well.. sharbo x is always out though, since i'm in school. but just because i don't use them as often as others, should I stop carrying them? I don't think so, if I can make them available and it doesn't bother me, why limit my options? etc.

that's legit. I take scissors and glue and stuff to school. about the 2nd part, that's still alright. just i have literally not once needed a knife or a flashlight.

Not that I don't think you can just carry this stuff around because you think it's cool, like jewelry or whatever. I'm just curious because you lot seem to actually get some use out of them and you aren't manual labourers or whatever.

i say this a lot, and some might not believe me, but when you EDC you sort of change your approach to daily tasks simply because you have more options. I gave my dad my old flashlight not expecting much.. he wasn't either, but when i visited home he told me he's found uses for it maybe every day and he actually carries it in his pocket around the house.

what i want to tell you is to maybe try it, and i would bet you'd find uses for some things, and maybe not for others.. but you sound like a smart guy that wouldn't buy something just because i told you to ;)

I don't think so. I've come to trust that they actually use this stuff, I'm still baffled as to how though. I carry nothing and am never like "man i wish i had a flashlight/knife/whatever". exciting lives I guess.

you say why, I say why not blah blah blah efficiency blah blah preparedness blah its another niche to learn

spend money on what you wanna spend money on

what i want to tell you is to maybe try it, and i would bet you'd find uses for some things, and maybe not for others.. but you sound like a smart guy that wouldn't buy something just because i told you to ;)

yeah was thinking it would be cool to have a little pen knife in my bag or wherever just for this. i like the opinels and it's not like I'd miss the $15 or whatever. it's also fun to nerd out huh.

nerding out on my g-tecs lately.

i'm gonna stop advocating things without reviewing them first, because it seems a lot of my suggestions only end up in mindless copping --> complaints because they dont fully understand what they're buying

yea im grumpy, wanna fight about it

du, you got so much power in this thread

FCK YOU JETPENS

this new pencil better make me enjoy drawing reaction mechanisms

and this new notepad better make me more organized

EDIT: im an idiot.. just remembered my sharbo X has components, I could have bought a 0.5mm component instead of buying a new 0.5mm pencil. :|||||