You Cot Damn Australians. SMH

Sayword

There are racist rednecks in every country. This isn't a good representation of what australians are really like. This is from a b grade tv show that was canceled in the mid 90's and is doing a comeback special. That the show's host. producers and even the guys doing the act themselves didn't see that there was something wrong with what they were doing speaks volumes about their levels of cultural sensitivity.

I've had one of my university professors who normally is a really funny and great guy ask some of us what some of us were up to during the mid-semester break, when it came to this young looking Asian girl her reply was "all I did was work" and then he asked her, "what do you do? sell ice in clubs?"

I thought it was both funny and kind of 'eh' at the same time, since I'm Asian myself. Even in university where people are better educated and affluent you still get some casual racism although it's very much tongue in cheek.

At the same time, my friend who lives in the more redneck areas of the same state complained to me that he has been racially harassed more times in his first two weeks there than he's been in his whole life. He moved there for a work as a professional process engineer so it's not like it's his fault for picking a bad area to live in.

yeah, cause one shit television show is indicative of an entire nation of people. the people that did it, and decided to air it are clearly moronic - it's lame, offensive and not funny in the slightest.

i find the paradoxical moral superiority of those taking the harry connick jr line bemusing. as though australia is any more or less racist than the united states, or any other country. 'post-racial' america - you've got to be kidding me...

This is how they get down yearly in NL... ZWARTE PEIT... or black pete... he is santas helper... they say he is black for one of two reasons, depends on how you ask... 1- he is a chimney sweep, and is covered in soot. 2- he is a bad kid, who went to hell, and is burned black, he is now helping santa to get out of hell or something. HERE is the wiki on it.

zwarte_pieten_groep.jpg

IMG_0016.JPG

20031207-nl-0014.jpg

people here dont seem to have any problem with it, its really baffling to me, even insulting... and i am a white dude... this shit would never fly back home.

Yup, Oprah would have the people lynched that produce/ sell gift wrapping with Zwarte Piet caricatures on it.

US have always been multicultural, Western Europe is only starting to be. I learnt a song in primary school about a little Chinese market seller, and the refrain would be about how little Chinese man walks, talks etc.

Attack Sinterklaas traditions and you'll find yourself in trouble: so many people feel threatened by the quick changes in society now that they cling to these things like mad.

I'm always interested in tales of racim in other countries, please, do tale what other blatantly racist societal norms go on in youse guys countries.

And for real what ever happened to th Aborigines? Do the have special privlages like our native Americans?

I'm always interested in tales of racim in other countries, please, do tale what other blatantly racist societal norms go on in youse guys countries.

And for real what ever happened to th Aborigines? Do the have special privlages like our native Americans?

yeah, it's a reasonably similar plight to that of the native americans. they have access to various benefits and initiatives.

in parts of remote central australia they essentially live in 3rd world conditions.

lol what special privileges did the natives get, i was watching a doc on them yesterday - the govt treated them like shit.

so to repay them for treating them like shit and stealing their land, natives are tax exempt (at least in Canada)

fair trade if you ask me. (10)

yeah, cause one shit television show is indicative of an entire nation of people. the people that did it, and decided to air it are clearly moronic - it's lame, offensive and not funny in the slightest.

i find the paradoxical moral superiority of those taking the harry connick jr line bemusing. as though australia is any more or less racist than the united states, or any other country. 'post-racial' america - you've got to be kidding me...

USA baby, stereotypes and ethnocentrism is how we roll

btw: U MAD?!?!?

i would've cut these australian dudes some slack, but they did mention that they would've never performed this in the usa, which leads me to believe that they at least knew it was risque, if not inappropriate to put on some black face and "coon" it up.

they felt it was ok to do this in australia because the sentiments and histories are different over there (though not so much given the way aboriginal australians have been systematically treated), but that doesn't stop it from being offensive to anyone outside of their country.

people got a lot to learn and the more you travel the world, the more you realize that so many countries are way behind the curve in terms of racial sensitivity and their treatment of immigrants and traditionally marginalized people.

To show how much aboriginal and torres strait islanders are on the mainstream radar. The hey hey segment debate( here anyway) all revolved around how much it offended a visiting white american and not a word about how the local aboriginal community could have perceived it.

Im not say HCJ was wrong but it shows how much the media really care about indigenous people here.