are low tops the new high tops?

kunk75

i dunno, but i find myself drawn to tennis shoe-styled sneaks and low tops much more these days, perhaps because i am just tired of the tuck. i had the mmm white high tops and sold because allthough they are lovely the tongue and such just feels overdone. thoughts?

Honestly, you're probably just getting overexposed in general. I've been trying to get off the internet so I can stop getting burnt out on shit i already have because in perspective to the people around me I've got awesome stuff but I look on Superfuture and only crazy outlandish impractical shit looks interesting and then I want to spend $1200 on 1 1/2 pairs of shoes.

I have a pair of beat Stan Smith that I wear a lot, IMHO having at least one of those is a must. I probably wear them 2-3 times/week right now. I'm not even remotely tired of high-tops though.

i agree with you. i think its just the effect of what you said, us shoppers getting tired of the elaborateness of (most) high tops. I find myself drawn to stan smiths, vintage nike tennis sneaks and the like lately.

have pair of old beat up diadoras that i wear a bit.

been wearing my authentics (overplayed I know) basically every day this summer. i just like how my pinky toes made holes for themselves to poke out of. in summer i can't wear hightops. gotta be plimsoles no socks. sweaty feet.

servo brings up a good point.

and every time I spend money on jawns (or actually more likely when I get something I really wanted/like regardless of price) I get this fear that soon enough I won't give a fuck about this item because it has happened before. I feel like jawn-wise I've neared a point of progression I'm pretty happy about but again I've def felt that before and the shit I had then is worth nothing to me now. For instance, my Raf SS02 sweater that I got lucky with on ebay, I love that shit and I wonder how long I will. Maybe that doesn't even matter if I love it now. I get this feeling with things other than jawns too though; as soon i realize something good I wonder how long it will last.

tl;dr IM SCARED OF CHANGE

all I want is some fucking addidas clean pack's in 14

is that so much to ask for?

(apparently)

and fuck CP for not making upwards of 46

hard out here for a tall gangly white dude with huge feet. I'm relegated to Converse and godawful looking approximations thereof.

I feel like low tops deserve their rightful place alongside high tops right now in fashion, but no one really makes an honest to goodness great profile anymore. The classic tennis sneaker and plimsoles have been co-opted and turned into ugly, mundane versions of how they looked upon their original conception. The whole idea of companies like CP and special lines by Addidas and Nike and Reebok is to bring it back to that simpler look, but for some reason people are so quick to deny that the look those brands are showing (either fully or in certain lines) is the original that they crucify it before they know the history of it.

More companies need to make simple tennis sneakers at an affordable price, good shape, good quality, and good longevity. Sneakers should be worn until they fall apart and the fact that high fashion sneakers fall apart before you can even wear them in is a sin.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i actually think high-tops are still "in". im 5'8 and if i was taller i would rock them but i tried wearing them and they make my legs look super short. so because of my height i am forced to wear low cut shoes to make myself look as tall as possible.. sigh..

i actually think high-tops are still "in". im 5'8 and if i was taller i would rock them but i tried wearing them and they make my legs look super short. so because of my height i am forced to wear low cut shoes to make myself look as tall as possible.. sigh..

I dont get why people keep saying that because I look taller with high tops and im 5'6" - 5'7" :confused:

but its true that we mostly wear low tops during the summer and hightops during the colder weather.

the raf velcro low tops are one of the few ones that I like, now. with the army trainers. the stan smiths are nice and simple too.

I keep coming back to Adidas Samba Classics. They are generic, but they work. I keep seeing hi tops and it's starting to feel a bit too played out. I think it is that natural cycle though, of hi/low being in trend, so you may as well just wear what makes you feel and look the best at the time.