The Deck Jacket Thread

zackl111

I noticed there is a thread for flight jackets, and a thread for military and vintage inspired workwear, but, surprisingly, there is no thread dedicated to deck jackets.

This is a thread for discussing these jackets, as I know you guys have some great ones, they are posted in the other threads, but no consolidated place to discuss.

I thought they should have their own thread so that the knowledge on this forums regarding these jackets can be held in one place for all eternity.

Discuss!

At least post some pics of a deck jacket to start this off. At this rate this dude is getting locked.

another pic, trying to find pics that i haven't seen yet:

necizd.jpg

The Buzz Rickson repros are all really nice. I would like to find one in a size 44 for this winter. The Mister Freedom is probably the nicest, although I don't really like the US NAVY that is emblazoned across the back. That being said, it's a totally beautiful jacket.

I have seen some nice vintage jackets on the bay recently, but they have all been too small.

If you have worn it - properly, that is - you know that the Navy's present winter outfit is pretty good. It starts off with a special wool undergarment. Over this you wear your regular clothing. Then there is a blue, jungle-cloth, wool-lined, overall-type trouser which fits over your regular clothing. A similarly constructed zippered jacket is kept tight at wrist and neck by a knitted band. The feet are protected by heavy knee-length socks and arctics. Hands are covered by leather one-finger gloves which should be supplemented by a wool inner-glove in very cold weather. The head is covered by a fleece-lined jungle-cloth helmet which fastens under the chin and has a neck guard.

It is important that you do not overdress. Remember, body heat production increases with activity. Perspiration should always be avoided because if the body gets too warm it cannot stop the flow of water to the skin surface. This moisture damps the clothing and adds to the cooling effect. This cooling, incidentally, will continue even after the need for sweating has stopped.

If you are exposed to cold conditions you should learn to estimate your clothing needs in terms of the temperature, the wind velocity and what you expect to do. As a general rule, attempt to under-dress rather than over-dress for quiet conditions. Be prepared to take immediate steps to help your body cool by increasing ventilation, when body needs rise above a comfort level and you begin to sweat. You can do this by removing your gloves. Your hands then act much like an automobile radiator in cooling the body.

Wind and water resistance is the function of the third layer of clothing. Scientific studies show that about three-fourths of body heat loss is due to increases in air movement. The most successful way of reducing the loss is by creating a shell around the body which keeps out the wind. It also should help to keep out the water, but if it is entirely waterproof, you'll find that you will get wet from the inside just about as badly as from the outside. This is because a certain amount of body moisture and perspiration must be carried away or the clothing will become damp and you will chill. Clothing and fabric which permit this are said to "breathe". So unless you are working under conditions where you will be exposed to a great deal of water it's a smart idea to wear water-resistant and not water-proof outer clothing.

The Navy's wind-and-water-repellent gear, you will find, works out rather well. It consists of trousers of the overall type and a parka-type jacket which are made of very tightly woven material. Both are water repellent. They break the force of the wind and prevent water from saturating the insulative garment layer. Naturally, they are worn over the regular winter clothing issue unless conditions do not require such protection. Of course, if you're going to have to work in heavy seas where you're subject to repeated dousings, you will wear oilskins and boots. But make every effort to get dry clothing on as soon as possible.

Source: "How to Beat Old Man Winter: Tips for Sailors in Cold Climates … How to Avoid Colds, Thaw Out Frozen Fingers." All Hands. 322 (January 1944): 29-30, 52.

Cool thread! BTW, all of the photos posted have been of the USN N-1 deck jacket. They were issued from WWII (early ones were blue with USN stenciled on the back) till early Vietnam War era. The general term deck jacket could apply to other USN jackets of which there were a few variations. I'll post pics later of my WWII N-1 as well as a Korean War era N-1.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

Lost worlds jackets are to die for , I have one of there flight jackets and every time I wear it I catch people in cars taking photos , and I know it's not my good looks !

Well it seems almost fraudulent to put this up, as it's a Rakuten cheapy, but for the money I think it's pretty nice. The cut is fine, and the quality is better than you might expect for the money. It's warm and hard wearing, and fun for the money. It looks like an N-1 and I'm happy with it. I guess it will last a couple of years before the acrylic fur wears out!

16332108290_057d62c96b_c.jpg

edit - did you see how many times I said 'for the money' in that post!

Edited by holio cornolio

Looks good, how much was it, what brand?

Not sure, no name, no branding. I've had to spend some time snipping off stray and loose threads, but if you search n1 deck jacket, on rakuten, this, or one like it comes up. It was about $100 plus shipping if I recall. I got lucky with customs, no vat or duty to pay, but those shysters at Parcelforce charged me £16.88 handling fee anyway, which is borderline extortion IMHO. Not the price, but the principal of charging a handling fee for something which required no additional handling process. Anyway, I will get off my soapbox now.

^Looks like a Houston Jacket maybe? This was actually one of the brands I was most impressed with when I was in Japan last month due to the excellent quality to price ratio. 

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/vari/hu-jk-5n-1

Almost bought a B-10 of theirs but ended up with jeans, or course... ;)

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/boomjapan/houston_50159/

Edited by aho