Givenchy Haute Couture A/W 2009

Givenchy is one of the few couture houses that are even relevant, whose aesthetic actually carries some weight outside of its immediate clientele. The Margiela couture showings have become pretty ridiculous, too. Chanel and Dior only keep it up for the sake of appearances and prestige. The newcomers are also a pretty mixed bag, with Alexis Mabille being really boring and Felipe Oliveira Baptista and Josep Font being two of the more interesting young couturiers out there. Still a really good showing from Tisci, though.

agreed that this is very ricardo. it's nice how he has progressed with the spike/pyramids ornamentation... i guess this is what gets him editorial feature... and i read in tfs that now the house is using chicken leg leather? wtf is that?!

054968888209912293lo.jpg

but lara with dyed black hair is a vision. and not to mention her ample bosoms. hmmmmmmmmm. :D

Why would anyone discuss wearability, we're talking about haute couture here; no one wears it. It's true that Tommy from J&J totally jizzed over it but that's his thing, he likes strong, flamboyant women, high heels and Vogue editors. He's still my fav fashion blogger because he's got a concrete angle and true passion for it. You see him at men's shows and he's almost yawning, he knows what he likes and that's what you get.

Even if we want to talk about how hardware has played into Tisci's development of the Givenchy couture look, it hasn't been the same, year in, year out. Unlike a lot of the other couturiers around, at least Tisci takes all the aspects of couture – fabric, construction, silhouette, color, drama – and makes an entirely enjoyable experience. Granted, there are other designers who make more "cohesive" couture collections, but I don't demand much from clothes that I'll never wear other than that they look cool and that they make me genuinely interested in them.

All in all some really inspiring items. Was most fascinated by the post about the "chicken leather" though, so I had to google it. Read: http://leatherplaza.tripod.com/chicken.htm

Not a bad idea actually considering the sheer numbers of chickens consumed each year...I wanna see a chicken leather trench coat---very 'next level'!! :)