what to do with $300 workpants

klue

thats where i think people have shit twisted. i dont think these dudes do anything in their jeans that they wouldn't do if they were ten dollar thrift store jeans. as long as you dont paint my shit...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, they are right in treating them as they want to, but Hendodo has a good point.

It seems like they do all their treeclimbing, bodybowling, lavadiving etc. just to get the fades. Like the guy in the gymn that does all the workout in front of the mirror, checking himself every 5 sec.

Then again, if they just do it to have fun, then whatever. I just doesn't go with the whole "wabi sabi, "show your true side", and "relax, take it easy and chill" spirit that gets a lot of praise (it should. I agree) in here.

When the sun goes down the entire night is spent spot washing,mending by hand, watering bonsai, blazing,contemplating suiseki, looking at the growth on the bonsai, and studying the fades of the day. We wear them relentlessly yet handle them like newborn kittens in our laps. It would be weird to post picks of that, I'm sorry the pics made us come off like some wild Steve o shit just trying to get wicked fades for rep points online. We do some things for the fades but it's just for the fades, not because we are trying to impress anyone. We only share the pictures because we thought there would be other people that like to look at fades too. Maybe wearing your jeans to get fades is lame to some but I suspect that is why most of us wear raw denim.

i don't really care what these guys do with their property.

but this shouldn't have started in a contest thread. it's insulting to the forum members who are competing honestly. artificially beating up your jeans, be that sanding, pinching, starching, or painting, ripping, carving or whatever these guys are doing is not right.

when we're talking about a contest.

and really, this thread should just die already. i don't get into attention whores when we're talking about a woman, why should anyone pay attention to guy's being outrageous for outrageousness' sake?

If "bent out of shape" means laughing at and/or calling people out on some bullshit, then I guess I am bent out of shape about it.

P1010529.jpg

You can't post shit like this and not expect to get called an idiot.

Sorry, but this is the internet we're talking about.

ps: ride your fucking skateboard/freelines the authentic/legit way - one at a time, by standing on them.

This is superfuture why so much hate on shit you've never seen before, aren't we looking for something new? Or do you want another poorly lit picture of another guy looking incredibly akward in brand new ruggedworkwear from sixty years ago on a carpet floor and flourecent light.

i don't really care what these guys do with their property.

but this shouldn't have started in a contest thread. it's insulting to the forum members who are competing honestly. artificially beating up your jeans, be that sanding, pinching, starching, or painting, ripping, carving or whatever these guys are doing is not right.

when we're talking about a contest.

and really, this thread should just die already. i don't get into attention whores when we're talking about a woman, why should anyone pay attention to guy's being outrageous for outrageousness' sake?

No one I know is getting fades without working for them. This means no pinching cutting shaving scraping or any of the inimaginative crap you would think to do to accelerate the process of fading?

When the sun goes down the entire night is spent spot washing,mending by hand, watering bonsai, blazing,contemplating suiseki, looking at the growth on the bonsai, and studying the fades of the day. We wear them relentlessly yet handle them like newborn kittens in our laps. It would be weird to post picks of that, I'm sorry the pics made us come off like some wild Steve o shit just trying to get wicked fades for rep points online. We do some things for the fades but it's just for the fades, not because we are trying to impress anyone. We only share the pictures because we thought there would be other people that like to look at fades too. Maybe wearing your jeans to get fades is lame to some but I suspect that is why most of us wear raw denim.

Probably a nice study in how denim breaks down via crooking, and yes, i stare at the grain of my kato and enjoys the green/blue/turkish sea emerging (Damn it! I'm starting to sound like you guys!).

The (mine too) bitching is mainly the "Wear to fade! Wear to fade! Faster pussycat! Kill! Kill! Kill!" way of wearing and fading your jeans is usually the sign of people having just discovered raw denim and wants to know "how to do it", which i despise in a sort of snobby way.

It doesn't really seem to be the mindset of you guys, just the same "method".

Different taste.

Gotta say that i look forward to see the jeans of you and your "crew" in a few months.. if there is anything left to show.

P.S. How much time do you guys have on your hands?

P.P.S. Crew? Crew?! I mean come the fuck on! Half the flaming probably comes from you guys using this word to describe your friends! Crew?!? It makes you sound like 13 year old kids really gunning for a way to look so different. /end of rant

If "bent out of shape" means laughing at and/or calling people out on some bullshit, then I guess I am bent out of shape about it.

P1010529.jpg

You can't post shit like this and not expect to get called an idiot.

Sorry, but this is the internet we're talking about.

ps: ride your fucking skateboard/freelines the authentic/legit way - one at a time, by standing on them.

First off, don't get all "bent out of shape" because I wasn't referring to anyone in particular, but the pic you posted looks like some dude having fun. If we are banning fun in jeans, then what is the point.

P1010529.jpg

This is denim contests jumping the shark.

I don't have a problem with people doing whatever they want to that denim, whether that is painting them, gold-plating them, mud-dyeing them or deliberately partaking in activities that will create hyper-wear. I don't really get the attraction of buying a pair of raw repro-style denim (an item that is usually desired for its potential for the subtractive process of fading) and them embellishing them, but that's my failing, and indicative of my own personal preferences for jeans wearing.

However, the fact that these shenanigans are taking place in a contest makes it a whole different story. The premises at play in the Superfuture-based denim contests are easily understood as being based on the 'wabi-sabi' philosophy that is espoused by a predominant faction of superdenim posters. Such blatant disregard or disdain for this mode of 'contest' must necessarily be either the result of ignorance and confusion, or an attempt to provoke people. I can't make a guess at the motive, but everything I have seen to this point leads me to believe it is the latter. Like I said, it really really doesn't matter, but causing static just because you can is rather bad form.

Yeah, if it was really a hard competition it probably would.

But it is not like the contestants are speculating in doing anything to get the other contestants down.

You pretty much only get nice responses (op and "crew aside) whenever people post their jeans, no matter how close the run is.

wouldn't competitively wearing jeans contradict "wabi sabi"?

That is precisely what I was getting at when I said "jumped the shark". Denim contests up until now have managed to not directly contradict 'wabi-sabi' because the mode in which they have been conducted has at least seemed to have a significant amount more to do with a transformational experience than the actual competition itself. There seemed to be an implicit rule that part of the contest involved not doing anything deliberately because you were in a contest, but instead just letting a year of your life happen in that particular pair of jeans. That said...now that this discussion is being had, and people are being compelled to actually examine the factors at play in denim contests, it seems that people will be forced to confront those contradictions that were up until this point, tactfully ignored. If calling people out on this was the goal, then you win I guess...brilliant victory.

P1010529.jpg

This is denim contests jumping the shark.

I don't have a problem with people doing whatever they want to that denim, whether that is painting them, gold-plating them, mud-dyeing them or deliberately partaking in activities that will create hyper-wear. I don't really get the attraction of buying a pair of raw repro-style denim (an item that is usually desired for its potential for the subtractive process of fading) and them embellishing them, but that's my failing, and indicative of my own personal preferences for jeans wearing.

However, the fact that these shenanigans are taking place in a contest makes it a whole different story. The premises at play in the Superfuture-based denim contests are easily understood as being based on the 'wabi-sabi' philosophy that is espoused by a predominant faction of superdenim posters. Such blatant disregard or disdain for this mode of 'contest' must necessarily be either the result of ignorance and confusion, or an attempt to provoke people. I can't make a guess at the motive, but everything I have seen to this point leads me to believe it is the latter. Like I said, it really really doesn't matter, but causing static just because you can is rather bad form.

Have no fear, the Cosmic Fool is here, to blow the lid off your conformist button-down world!

I like when people talk about wabi-sabi, and then go on about how people wear high end "work" denim, because they want to achieve a fade.

If the purpose of wearing denim is to achieve a "fade" then that contradicts this whole wabi sabi mentality. Just wear your jeans and the fade is a biproduct of wearing them.

I personally like every part of my denim's life, from the pitch blackish blue, to the slight fade, to the beat up holes. I personally feel the darker the better, but wearing one's jeans causes them to fade, so be it.

I just don't see the issue with these dudes hyper wearing their jeans in a "contest." If the judges don't like their jeans at the end, which they probably won't then who cares?

You obviously never seen a Dior Homme jean.

I was going to mention this earlier.

I like when people talk about wabi-sabi, and then go on about how people wear high end "work" denim, because they want to achieve a fade.

If the purpose of wearing denim is to achieve a "fade" then that contradicts this whole wabi sabi mentality. Just wear your jeans and the fade is a biproduct of wearing them.

I personally like every part of my denim's life, from the pitch blackish blue, to the slight fade, to the beat up holes. I personally feel the darker the better, but wearing one's jeans causes them to fade, so be it.

I absolutely agree and I think this captures the essence of wabi sabi. appreciating the details, imperfection, and changing nature of denim over time. if people just want sick fades, why just not purchase a prewash jean?

I just don't see the issue with these dudes hyper wearing their jeans in a "contest." If the judges don't like their jeans at the end, which they probably won't then who cares?

The thing that bugs me about these guys is more so the "cool guy" attitudes than anything else. it's sort of like the opposite of internet psuedo-intellectualism. it reminds me of that guy on SF a while back with those iron army jeans, NoleAnderson, I think.

Have no fear, the Cosmic Fool is here, to blow the lid off your conformist button-down world!

Haha exactly! Took too many hallucinogens, now has an individuality complex. False weirdness for weirdness sake.

The thing that bugs me about these guys is more so the "cool guy" attitudes than anything else. it's sort of like the opposite of internet psuedo-intellectualism.

This too. I don't think anyone is losing sleep over what these guys did to their jeans. But based on the entirety of their posting they are ridiculous. Mocking ridiculous people is fun, and I enjoy having fun.

The hyper-wear and painting alter what has been the implicit intent of the contest from "whats happens to a pair of jeans you wear for a year" to "what can we do to a pair of jeans over the course of a year". There isn't anything wrong with what they are doing to the jeans, the issue is that by doing so in a contest setting, it insinuates that they are "playing the same game" as the other contestants, when in fact they are not. Authenticity arguments are bullshit for a plethora of reasons, but deliberately imposing aging on jeans is fundamentally the same whether it is with pinching, sandpaper, or more "clever" means.

The hyper-wear and painting alter what has been the implicit intent of the contest from "whats happens to a pair of jeans you wear for a year" to "what can we do to a pair of jeans over the course of a year". There isn't anything wrong with what they are doing to the jeans, the issue is that by doing so in a contest setting, it insinuates that they are "playing the same game" as the other contestants, when in fact they are not. Authenticity arguments are bullshit for a plethora of reasons, but deliberately imposing aging on jeans is fundamentally the same whether it is with pinching, sandpaper, or more "clever" means.

I definately used to grind griptape on my apcs three years ago, but it turned out like shit . I read every thread in this forum and learned traditional "Sufu" way. It wasn't untill kawawaka got a pair of deadstock vintage cowboy jeans that i learned my current style of wearing denim. In the first week he came back with some of the most facinating and unique fades i had ever seen. They had more character than any of the jeans I've seen in this forum. It wasn't long before there were elaborate and organic hand repairs. I fell in love with these jeans and wanted to see what it would be like to wear japanes denim with the SAme spirit of kawawaka and at the same time i was ready to make the purchase, the contest jeans were availadle and it is the ideal fit to work and play in, plus why not share my experience with the community, I felt upuntill now I had not much to add because so much has been covered. many people have contributed to this disscussion and I thank all of you for that. I am passionate about my denim .I plan to start a denim company as soon as I graduate. I love japan denim but I am not going to limit myself to levis style. The Japanese have perfected it. I am looking to find the essence of the thing that I love and exploring it in everyway. You are all helping me do this. I apologize for being so serious, it isn't very fun.

I think the whole reason a lot of 'contestants' are pissed/scared/threatened by klu and kawawawa is the fact that deep down, I think we're all a little insecure about purchasing $300 workpants and so need to compensate for them. We know that for the most part, we can get comparable garments for cheaper, but we do so anyways. Why? For the elitist sake of claiming their superior durability or superior 'fading' properties, when most of us just ride our bikes or go to the bar with them.

klue and kawawawawa threaten our illusion of elitism but injecting some 'devil-may-care' attitude.

Sure, it violates wabi-sabi.

It violates your sensibilities.

It's a little too 'LOOK AT ME'

Gold pants are always hilarious.

But you guys are seriously getting butt-hurt about a bunch of dudes running around in gold-painted jeans?

...start laughing at yourselves for buying $300 jeans first.

I’ll admit that I was as stunned as anyone when I first saw the paint job. I didn’t like it, and it did have a bit of a juvenile poser sorta feel. But, the more it progresses, the more fun it seems. And the more I wanna see. Sure, it ain’t my style. I like wearing my jeans when I should be wearing more “grown-up†fare, but that means I like my fades coming on really slow and organic-like. I have zero interest in “winning†any contest of most perfect fades. That’s just me.

This stuff is more art-house/act-out style, and there is definitely a place for it. And I really like seeing the posts. Hell, why waste time reading this stuff if they all look the same? More power to you! And keep posting more photos, too.

For the contest-worried, I have no fear that these will fall into a “Special Mentions†or “Trashed Denim Art†category, as no one else will have anything close to it. Moreover, given the current rate of trashing, there won't be nothin' left to judge!

Now. Lose that pussy backpack. The hat is still in question.

I think we're all a little insecure about purchasing $300 workpants and so need to compensate for them. We know that for the most part, we can get comparable garments for cheaper, but we do so anyways. Why? For the elitist sake of claiming their superior durability or superior 'fading' properties, when most of us just ride our bikes or go to the bar with them.

While I don't disagree that some people on this forum are into Japanese denim for the 'elitism,' that is hardly the reason the cult of japanese denim exists. It's a bit like the people that go to the modern art gallery and say that everything is crap because they could make the same thing at home themselves, or looking at japanese pottery and saying it sucks because it is lumpy or lopsided. I think most people that are in to this deep are into it for the geeky details and geeky qualities of really well made denim. They would appreciate the modern art or japanese pottery for its imperfections and quirkiness rather than the exclusivity of the artist.

You obviously never seen a Dior Homme jean.

actually i have, i believe pictures of it have been posted up on the 'ugliest jeans in the world' thread.

but there is a BIG difference with the paint of the Dior Homme jeans, and using spray-paint from spray cans bought from the good ol' hardware store.

go try it yourself, the spray paint is like some super starch, it hardens the material and when you bend the material after the paint dries, it actually cracks. I'm saying this because i have tried the spray-paint on cotton t-shirts and such, before i discovered silk-screening

that is of course, assuming that the dude used spray paint.

I think the whole reason a lot of 'contestants' are pissed/scared/threatened by klu and kawawawa is the fact that deep down, I think we're all a little insecure about purchasing $300 workpants and so need to compensate for them. We know that for the most part, we can get comparable garments for cheaper, but we do so anyways. Why? For the elitist sake of claiming their superior durability or superior 'fading' properties, when most of us just ride our bikes or go to the bar with them.

klue and kawawawawa threaten our illusion of elitism but injecting some 'devil-may-care' attitude.

Sure, it violates wabi-sabi.

It violates your sensibilities.

It's a little too 'LOOK AT ME'

Gold pants are always hilarious.

But you guys are seriously getting butt-hurt about a bunch of dudes running around in gold-painted jeans?

...start laughing at yourselves for buying $300 jeans first.

I dont think many are seriously hurt over this matter, i think its more of an attitude issue. its fine and dandy to have fun with ur jeans, paint them, abuse them, etc., i think the thing that gets ppl riled up is the attitude behind it. like what's been said before, its appalling to do this crap for the sake of fades and whatever else ( glory, recognition, fame, u get the point). If the "crew"'s just having fun, then its fine. Its just that i dont see ppl climbing trees , camping in the middle of the street, "handboarding" ( is that what its called??) , etc., in 300 dollar jeans ...

actually i have, i believe pictures of it have been posted up on the 'ugliest jeans in the world' thread.

but there is a BIG difference with the paint of the Dior Homme jeans, and using spray-paint from spray cans bought from the good ol' hardware store.

go try it yourself, the spray paint is like some super starch, it hardens the material and when you bend the material after the paint dries, it actually cracks. I'm saying this because i have tried the spray-paint on cotton t-shirts and such, before i discovered silk-screening

that is of course, assuming that the dude used spray paint.

On the pic where kawawaka is lying on the longboard,the paint is nearly gone,the fullcounts looks already blue to me.Forthcoming pics will show if the denim will break or not.I remember seeing pics of tahonng in a pair covered in paint from some paintballgun (searched for pics,but no success,if you read this,can you shed some light?).It looked heavy but disappered on later pics.Another pair I remember are some sugarcanes that somebody used for constructionwork and they where absolutely covered in mud,dust and paint...