hey you know all that shit i said about macs?

Gouf

ended up returning that dell and getting the new 15.4in macbook pro.

more than anything its more reliable,

built sturdier (the dell was OK, but the design stlll had a cheap look to it... and i could never get over the dorky ass DELL on the front of it.)

even with 4gigs of ram that dell took a minute to start up, mac is on and up in seconds

im in love with the extra 2.4 inches, the dell only had 13 inches which was so limiting and frustrating especially when working with programs like dreamweaver where you cant easily manipulate the window size once youv initially set it.

i like this new touchpad bullshit that manipulates my screen like an iphone.

verdict: macs are still completely insistent upon themselves and too gotdamn expensive, but vista is clunky and full of problems that make you want to shoot yourself, and from the amount of times my dell was locking up dell still uses cheap parts...

should've waited like 9 more months for Windows 7 before making up your mind on getting a Mac.

I'm using a Dell, it has lasted me more than 3 years. Cheap parts or not, the warranty is top notch. Doorstep technician service, anything and everything is replaceable if you complain about it (from the handrest, harddisk, heatsink, optical drive).

I have no reason to switch to a Mac when Dell can give me more bang for buck and a great warranty plan.

I'm no microsoft lover, but it's easy to avoid the problems with vista. Just use XP....

My biggest problem with Apples is that they're just so fucking expensive. In the powerPC days they could at least CLAIM that the architecture was better and justified the price, but since they've switched to intel you can compare apples to apples so to speak (no pun intended). And there's really no excuse for charging 30-35% more for the same hardware. Especially when you can't choose your configurations (more than 4 gig of ram, SORRY!).

Also MacOS is unix essentially. A nice X11 shell, but unix nonetheless. I've been using unix for 15 years and there's other variants I'd rather use than NextSTEP.

Actually my biggest problem with apple has nothing to do with the machines, but the absolutely unjustified rampant fanboyism that their computers engender in those who own them. Sometimes I feel like I'm speaking to objectivists when I speak to mac users. Not only are you inferior for using windows, but you're WRONG and borderline EVIL. In the end a lot of people buy macs for the wrong reasons (its so pretty! I just want something that I don't have to worry about. It makes me look cool in the coffee bar, etc).

Any XP machine with 2 or 3 non-MS-supplied freeware software packages and 10 minutes of configuration will run just as stable as MacOS, and without the security holes!

PC TALIBAN TILL DETH

Gouf I hope you enjoy your new life as a sheep, you could've just put XP on in place of Vista like real men do.

i would describe it like this. everything is alot more chill. I think less about what my computer is doing and more about what I want to do with it.

thats it, no point in justifying anymore than that.

Does apples advertising and gimmicky sponsoring push a hot nearly foul smelling air of conceit where ever it pops up? sure does.

but seeing as how PC users are still the majority of consumers, I dont really feel like a sheep.. just a guy with a better computer.

I recently made the switch to mac, as well (got a macbook, but with 4 gigs of ram and 2.4 ghz processor). I figured since I'm going into advertising it was time to make the switch.

I don't really care one way or another, honestly...the mac hardware is nice, but I am not really convinced that they are any more reliable. And I'm still pretty sure my airport card is having issues...and my screen brightness flickers a bit at low brightness settings.

and hey Kunk

let me work for you this summer

you know you want free creative labor

Macs all have a 3 year built in obsolescence. Maybe 4 if you push it. 3 years is usually when the next generation of the platform comes out, so you can bank on your Mac-whatever dying in 3 years, if not a hair more.

There was an article in the NY Times about this last year.

saying a mac is a better computer is relative

it is no way a better gaming machine than a pc

for editing macs seems to be used more often than pcs

i also agree with youkinorn2 i have a mac and i dont know if its more reliable than a pc

ive had some issues with the monitor flickering and having bars show up

running XP on my mac works smoother than a brand new PC ever did. I'm not even running a particularly updated version either - just XP Home edition, SP2 probably 2002 release or so. Very stable and graphics for all games I run on it look great.

no i couldnt give a gay fuck about gaming guy.

and jeep you could argue that 3 year obsolete rule with virtually any notebook. I know plenty of people that got vaios and in 2 years those shits were trash.

i dont have to justify jack shit bitches

no i couldnt give give a gay fuck about gaming guy.

and jeep you could argue that 3 year obsolete rule with virtually any notebook. I know plenty of people that got vaios and in 2 years those shits were trash.

i dont have to justify jack shit bitches

had the same feeling when i copped my ipod touch

i'll be copping a macbook shortly

consume consume consume is what i say

I have this weird ass averatec laptop that is still technologically relevant and working mostly fine 5 years later. Sure it has heating problems and 25 minutes of battery life. But fuck, i'm getting 5 years out of it and with a cooling pad thing underneath, it's fine. Fuck spending money on a computer every 2-3 years.

As long as i can browse the internet, illegally download media, organize and listen/watch/play that illegally downloaded media, and create documents/presentations/etc... for school/work i'm ok. Anything else isn't really necessary

Well, its just a thing that was very pertinent to consumers back around the time the iPhone was gearing up for release. AppleCare doesn't go past 3 years for many reasons, the main one being that Macs and Mac products have that built in life.

Of course other technologies do as well, but for such high quality and expensive gadgets, 3 years is pretty quick to have to put down another 2.5k :\

namsayin?

Macs all have a 3 year built in obsolescence. Maybe 4 if you push it. 3 years is usually when the next generation of the platform comes out, so you can bank on your Mac-whatever dying in 3 years, if not a hair more.

There was an article in the NY Times about this last year.

I can't really say that's true. I've been fixing macs pretty regularly since 2001 and most of them last way over 3 years. Right now my everyday mac is from may 05 and going strong. I also have an ibook from 04 that wasn't probably even turned off in 3 years.

I also think most pc's will last that long.

That shit I've been slinging about macs for the previous 9 years? Still holds true. Fine machines, just overpriced and underpowered.

Got me a little netbook and a self-build beast dual-booting xp and linux. Both combined for 600 cheaper than a 15" macbook pro with less power and less convenience. No shit components, because I build myself and don't let Dell and the like fuck me over.

No hate for macs in general, but I've yet to heard a good argument for people outside music production/graphics using macs besides fanboyism. Sorry, just calling it like I sees it.