The History of Supreme, Once & For All

soundune

If anyone out there has stories/rumors/anecdotes about the beginnings of good old Supreme I would love to hear them. Let the haters hate, but I love the brand but being out in the NW and only getting to NYC every once in a while I don't really know too much about the history of the company.

So, if anyone has knowledge on who the owners are, who the 'famous-in-Japan' staff is/was, where they're from, when the brand began, the connections to Tokyo and elsewhere in the world, as well as the whole "RETAIL MAFIE" connections, I would love to know. Again, haters go elsewhere, only positive vibes here.

Grazie & Ciao

fuckin' right i'm a doctor

I just happened to flip to the Supreme sectcion in the fashion now 2 book by I-D that I got today. I'll paraphrase the bio

Supreme founded in 1994 by UK born James Jebbia.

Left london for NYC in mid 80s with no plans.

After getting into all sorts of scenes (art, hip hop clubs, fashion), teams up with Mary Ann and opened Union, through where they met Sean Stussy.

Together they open Stussy in Little Italy in 94, things blew up, began their own clothing line in 95 (strange since it says Supreme was founded in 94)

97 he takes Supreme to Japan an opens 3 stores there. Opens store in LA in 2004.

Anyone interest should look at the questionaire they ask him (and all the designers in the book as well)..great book. def a pick up for anyone interested in how certain brands/comapnies/designers got started as well as what motivates, inspires them and what their goals are.

Edited by mouko on Jan 14, 2006 at 06:04 PM

Quote: there've been a lot of copies of ebay... really sick but unfortunately everything's in japanese

quick interviews with all the players are in English. another `supreme bible` came out a couple of years back in Japan with more pics and data.

when did Kids come out? `95? if you look hard there`s a box tee in there. Didnt Leo Fitzpatrick work in Supreme or something when he did that movie too?

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.

Edited by MilSpex on Jan 16, 2006 at 12:07 AM

Quote:
Quote: there've been a lot of copies of ebay... really sick but unfortunately everything's in japanese

quick interviews with all the players are in English. another `supreme bible` came out a couple of years back in Japan with more pics and data.

when did Kids come out? `95? if you look hard there`s a box tee in there. Didnt Leo Fitzpatrick work in Supreme or something when he did that movie too?

--- Original message by MilSpex on Jan 16, 2006 12:06 AM

Yeah, I noticed that box tee too.

For the cats that ain't catch it .. I think it's in that fight scene at the park when everyone jumped in and started pounding the guy. I used to watch that flick all the time, it was weird cause my friend's ex girl is in it.

The kid with the most knoweldge

Will touch and attain top dollas

Quote: Together they open Stussy in Little Italy in 94, things blew up, began their own clothing line in 95 (strange since it says Supreme was founded in 94)

that info is worng..not sure where u got it.........Stussy was not in little italy....it was in soho...on prince or spring...forget which.....and was def open before 1994...like 1991 or 92......james and mary ann used to work in the store all the time...both good people...happy that they are doing big things.......

www.wellbred.org

Quote:

along with that box tee i saw another supreme tee...and of course the og zoo york shirts.

--- Original message by majah flavah on Jan 16, 2006 10:53 AM

off topic, but. do they even still make majah flavah clothes? last i heard they sold it at against all odds but that was like two or three years ago lol

larry clark is a director and directed kids (a movie about NYC city kids and the "scene").....which has some of the Supreme / LES kids in it like Harold Hunter and Gio and was the first movie Rosario Dawson was in...I believe...another LES kid (lower east side NYC)..larry clark is also a photographer and supreme has used his pics on some of their tees......

justin pierce played casper in the movie and later killed himself....not sure why.......

www.wellbred.org

Quote:

larry clark is a director and directed kids (a movie about NYC city kids and the "scene").....which has some of the Supreme / LES kids in it like Harold Hunter and Gio and was the first movie Rosario Dawson was in...I believe...another LES kid (lower east side NYC)..larry clark is also a photographer and supreme has used his pics on some of their tees......

justin pierce played casper in the movie and later killed himself....not sure why.......

--- Original message by dunkin deeznuts on Jan 17, 2006 12:54 PM

Larry Clark is a talented photographer and hit-and-miss director obsessed with underage sex and seeing boys shirtless, he's pretty disturbing sometimes but Kids is worth watching. Aside from his weird voyeuristic tendencies or maybe because of them Clark has been able to successfully capture the aimlessness and somewhat pathetic lack of substance and value system in today’s youth, which mirror his own experience growing up in Tulsa (it’s also the title of one of his photo books) in the 40s. While drugs and skate/street culture are usually part of his work I don’t think we can say the later is a central of even positive part of his work. “Kids†is definitely NOT about LES or street culture as the previous poster might lead you to believe….it’s more about the themes mentioned before and the prevalence of AIDS.

Edited by Fuuma on Jan 17, 2006 at 01:31 PM

Quote: Larry Clark is a talented photographer and hit-and-miss director obsessed with underage sex and seeing boys shirtless, he's pretty disturbing sometimes but Kids is worth watching. Aside from his weird voyeuristic tendencies or maybe because of them Clark has been able to successfully capture the aimlessness and somewhat pathetic lack of substance and value system in today’s youth, which mirror his own experience growing up in Tulsa (it’s also the title of one of his photo books) in the 40s. While drugs and skate/street culture are usually part of his work I don’t think we can say the later is a central of even positive part of his work. “Kids†is definitely NOT about LES or street culture as the previous poster might lead you to believe….it’s more about the themes mentioned before and the prevalence of AIDS.

i agree with most of what u say about larry clark........and Kids is predominantly about AIDS and today's youth and although it is not solely about LES kids / street culture...it does take place in NYC with mostly NYC kids as actors and even more specifically around the LES / downtown area. Most of the movie takes place downtown from Washington Square park to Hell Park in Soho where they go swimming.........so while its not all about downtown NYC, the backdrop is a big part of the movie and feel of it......grittty and dirty........

his movies Bully and Ken Park (krap nek) were just ok...watchable, but not great....though the preview for "Wassup Rockers" looks pretty good...though I havent seen or heard anything aobut it in a long time....and don't know if it even came out...anyone know?

www.wellbred.org

Edited by dunkin deeznuts on Jan 17, 2006 at 04:10 PM