Who is the biggest sheep on Sufu?

djrajio

there are different kinds of sheep.

certainly there are the CLOPEK and DOCTOR WORM garden variety animals, but perhaps even more insidious are the sheep who might have you tricked into believing they are some sort of shepards.

I'm reffering to people like DJRAJIO, JMATSU, and HERPSKY in particular. and a few other demigods whose names escape me at the moment.

was thinking about this. admit that i have been sheep in the past, but not due to this board. every label i talk about or own i've either discovered on my own or have heard about through other channels off this board. true i've learned various shit on here, but i don't front like shit is genuinely mine nor do i have any perverse desire to hype that shit up for other then the benefit of friends or buy this or that season's entire line.

this subject and the fact that the thread was produced for this forum implies that we are talking about niagras who are sheep or lapdogs on superfuture.

there is also the matter of courtesy. obviously certain members will implement shit of worth that is infact introduced to them by other people who they respect and garner a certain amount respect from. it's like wolves from different packs giving props to or being invited to run with other packs and vice-versa.

other members try to mistakenly think they can buy their acceptance or respect with certain labels and trying to talk the talk. basically alota sufu sheep (and obviously there are degrees and some changes...not many) have nothing to give. nothing to contribute. that is why they are right for the slaughter.

while hap makes somewhat of a base point, we all know who the sheep-sheep are. they are hunted by the wolves. and then there are the bitchasses and the ying to their bitchyangs: those who are immortal.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shit there is probably more to talk about with regards to WKW movies than there is to whatever's coming out in ss09. And WKW is basically making the same movie over and over again these days

Slight thread derail, but you can't really judge an artist's oeuvre in this manner based on such a small sample size; people's expectations these days are so high it's unreal. And besides that, Hitchcock, Bergman, and Ozu basically spent their entire lives exploring variations on one singular theme, and they are all masters.

But the last movies WKW made were In the Mood for Love, 2046, and My Blueberry Nights--all very different from one another. (Ashes of Time Redux was a reedit and not a new movie proper.) Sure, My Blueberry Nights had a bit similar to Chungking Express, but it was made for an entirely new audience, and I think it's a fine introductory point for people who made me averse to watching foreign films to WKW's work.

P.S. Sup, Matt!

man i'll get to the heart of it

i think WKW is a hack in general, that said, if given the chance i'd work with him, but I would probably want to do so if given a certain degree of freedom over the storytelling and art direction. the guy is too formulaic

there was a similar discussion i had with polishmike earlier in the summer about this, my opinion hasn't really changed since then. Days of Being Wild and Happy Together are the 2 films of his where I think his vision worked, some others were OK, in general not a fan.

PS Sparrow was a great first watch, but i don't know what I was thinking back then praising it so highly. It's one of To's better movies, but not really a landmark work.

I think the best HK film to come out in the past decade is that movie with Lau Ching Wan that came out like 2 years ago...the one where he takes this unknown girl to cinematic fame then makes a comeback himself. That's the kind of HK movie that has a universal appeal and timelessness; the city needs to make more movies along this line if it is to resurrect the industry.

Disagree of course, but we don't want to derail the thread too much.

fallen angels very highly praised the film you're talking about, My Name is Fame.

Briefly, will say that I think WKW is one of the best filmmakers in the world right now. His methodology and his filmmaking is unlike anyone else's in the world; his films are less about the narrative arc, but you can say that about other filmmakers. So you're not really watching WKW movies for only the story; you're watching them for the manner in which he tells his story, for the performances he gets out of his actors, etc. Otherwise, his movies wouldn't be so endlessly re-viewable.

And Sparrow is arguably my favorite Johnnie To film. (Either that or Election 2.) Sparrow is a masterpiece in miniature, showing Johnnie To's tremendous range. The music is great, the directing is great, the story is great, the acting and the pacing are great--there's nothing not to love about it. I think you were maybe reading too much into it in our earlier discussions--I didn't see any political underpinnings in the film. I just a masterwork of craftsmanship.

WKW never really 'extracted' any remarkable performances out of his actors other than their usual range. The best he ever worked with were Leslie Cheung (who is gone now, probably the best talent HK has ever and will ever see) and Brigitte Lin. The rest of his usual actors manage to fit in well with his style with their limited range precisely because of that limitation. Some may call it nuance, eh I dunno that's giving some of these guys too much credit.

alright ... i'll shoot you a pm later on to discuss this further. didn't get much sleep last night and i'm probably gonna go out for a walk and grab the morning papers...looks like there isn't much more of a thread to derail anyway, but yeah.

just as a final aside - caught Eat Drink Man Woman for the first time ever a few weeks ago on Cable...previously i was never exposed to Ang Lee's local films before he went Hollywood. Amazing storyteller, perfectly captured, and a great example of how overt stylistic dependencies aren't necessarily the only tool to which 'mood' can be evoked. It was a great movie, Brokeback Mountain is probably one of the top 5 films of this decade. Ang Lee is the best Asian filmmaker in the world today I'd say, I can't think of another who compares. I love Beat Takeshi too, but that's more of a personal favorite I'd say.

was thinking about this. admit that i have been sheep in the past, but not due to this board. every label i talk about or own i've either discovered on my own or have heard about through other channels off this board. true i've learned various shit on here, but i don't front like shit is genuinely mine nor do i have any perverse desire to hype that shit up for other then the benefit of friends or buy this or that season's entire line.

this subject and the fact that the thread was produced for this forum implies that we are talking about niagras who are sheep or lapdogs on superfuture.

there is also the matter of courtesy. obviously certain members will implement shit of worth that is infact introduced to them by other people who they respect and garner a certain amount respect from. it's like wolves from different packs giving props to or being invited to run with other packs and vice-versa.

other members try to mistakenly think they can buy their acceptance or respect with certain labels and trying to talk the talk. basically alota sufu sheep (and obviously there are degrees and some changes...not many) have nothing to give. nothing to contribute. that is why they are right for the slaughter.

while hap makes somewhat of a base point, we all know who the sheep-sheep are. they are hunted by the wolves. and then there are the bitchasses and the ying to their bitchyangs: those who are immortal.

missed u man

hope the hate is back

damn im drunk right now

gettin laid by avg vienna hoes

nuthin spesh but its pussy

so what would you do if you had bombs falling on your street? people don't seem to realize that hamas is targeting CIVILIANS and always has targeted CIVILIANS. you argue that the hamas bombs are pieces of shit- this is partially correct' date=' the other part being that they have russian-made katyusha rockets, courtesy of iran...hmmm.

what would you have israel do? let its citizens rot in bomb shelters? fire back their own homemade rockets? of course not, that makes no fucking sense. you say excessive force; try living with bombs raining on your head and then see how what you think about striking back with "excessive force." we do surgical strikes. of course civilians die. you'd have to be high off your ass to think that in a war, civilians won't die. and it's fucking sad that they do, no one wants innocents dead. but it is unavoidable, especially when you have hamas operating from inside apartment buildings, filled with palestinian civilians.

but let me break it down: israel is attacking hamas targets, hamas people, hamas gunmen, hamas rocket squads, hamas hamas hamas. meanwhile, hamas is attacking ANY israeli it can get its hands on, and it prefers civilians because mass panic and fear within the entire country, not just the military, is good for them. we're talking about the same hamas that was behind hundreds of suicide bombings of civilian targets in the past two intifadas. who is the fucking bully? the israeli government, that is trying to protect its citizens, and by doing so, has to fire at the enemies who are hiding in the middle of cities? or is it hamas, the group that targets citizens and doesn't give a fuck about their own as long as there are enough to serve as human shields? and as for the ceasefire, you can't gloss over the fact that rockets were still being fired from gaza on a regular basis.

the blame for this situation lies on hamas and i hope to god that every last fucking one of those terrorists dies because maybe, maybe then, we can get people together who aren't just interested in shooting one another and they can figure out a peaceful solution to the whole situation.

/end of rant

ps arguing about politics on superfuture is fucking retarded, lets just go back to talking about jeans[/quote']

Bah. Bah. Baaah.

this looks suspiciously like political discussion.

spacer.gif

Bah. Bah.

ftb you need to watch more movies...

Yes I do...i got all this free time and I am just too damn lazy to go get some dvds or something. I spend more time reading these days because I can read for a bit, go do some other shit before i get back to it...feelin kinda restless and don't know if i have the patience or concentration to sit through and really absorb a whole bunch of movies. I also find I can only enjoy movie watching at night now, and I go to bed early as hell these days so don't have too much time for that. I bought American Gigolo and Red Cliff like 2 months ago and they are still sitting in the wrapper.

Red Cliff is good but if you don't plan on watching it just give it away or something.

Man, wanted to really love Red Cliff (especially since Hard Boiled is one of my favorite films of all time), but I came away disappointed. John Woo's directing has gotten kind of bloated since he left Hong Kong.

Yes I do...i got all this free time and I am just too damn lazy to go get some dvds or something. I spend more time reading these days because I can read for a bit, go do some other shit before i get back to it...feelin kinda restless and don't know if i have the patience or concentration to sit through and really absorb a whole bunch of movies. I also find I can only enjoy movie watching at night now, and I go to bed early as hell these days so don't have too much time for that. I bought American Gigolo and Red Cliff like 2 months ago and they are still sitting in the wrapper.

would benefit from relaxing in general F2B you seem very restless these days