Clothing for The Great Outdoors

I didn't mean to make it sound like it was easy, but I think there are wealthy enough enthusiasts even on this forum who can do it if they wanted to. And if there are such people on this forum, Im sure there are tons more in the U.S.

And it doesn't necessarily have to be a line either, I think all of us have a similar sentiment when we think about how backward it is that all the American line's are going overseas. If a store can put serious concentrated effort into convincing some of these heritage brands to market in the U.S., I think it wouldn't hurt.

^^^How do you like the Haglöfs one? I think I´ll pick up a haglöfs soft shell in their "proof" material. Super light weight.

I like it a lot. I've used their gear for a long time since they are really good quality, they fit my (quite skinny and tall) body type well and they're nice to look too.

Only downside (this has nothing to do with Haglöfs or any other brand in particular) of using those technical gore-tex (or whatever) is that if you wear them as your everyday jacket the waterproof layer won't last that long. On the other hand, that is not what they are meant to be.

^^As I understood it from talking with one of the sales persons, fabrics that isnt Gore-tex, like Haglöfs "PROOF" fabric, are coated, and hence needs to be recoated to keep their waterproof proporties. He recommended it to be done twice yearly if the jacket was used alot.

^^As I understood it from talking with one of the sales persons, fabrics that isnt Gore-tex, like Haglöfs "PROOF" fabric, are coated, and hence needs to be recoated to keep their waterproof proporties. He recommended it to be done twice yearly if the jacket was used alot.

^^ That would be far better solution to everyday use. Once there is holes in the gore-tex layer there is no way of proofing it. Some of the PROOF material is also made from recycled polyester, thats good! You can also wash away the waterproofing when in dry / warm conditions and proof it again when needed.

simple light and basic parkas?
i would also like some options for parkas. just grabbed one off of the market, but i think i'll end up with another before spring is over. thanks

Ervell was the first to come to mind. Very light material. Engineered Garments and Loden Dager also put out nice ones this season. The other options should be kinda obvious (APC, OC, NdG, PRL, J Crew)

anyone into Outdoor Research?

washington based brand

somewhat macabre back story

super stripped down basically unbranded gear at recession friendly prices

people used to (and probably still do) fuck with their gear pretty heavy on the trails in the north east. I remember a lot of OR hats and gaitors in particular from time spent out of doors as as youngin.

What's the macabre backstory though???