Most overrated brands

MilSpex

• 3 months later...

their embroidered circle cases are p cool. What makes them overrated tho?

look just like any vintage studded punk jacket but for like 2k $ i guess ? ( idk there price , probably really expensive )

shit look like hobo punk things /japanese brand that take too much inspo from american culture, its like visvim but in a punk way lol.

never understood the hype for it at all.

Edited by aymerikmd

just browsed their website, seems like their bread and butter is schott knocks, i guess i just never realized they had that much hype behind them. 

i've always thought that cote&ciel bags look horrible and impractical but "you just do not understand ergonomics dood" 

Rick owens, takahiro miyashita the soloist, cloak basically fashion rn

I can sort of understand Rick (not that I necessarily agree), but The Soloist and Cloak both had/have totally unique aesthetics that are entirely different than anything else out there.  If anything, the two are underrated.

I can sort of understand Rick (not that I necessarily agree), but The Soloist and Cloak both had/have totally unique aesthetics that are entirely different than anything else out there.  If anything, the two are underrated.

so, by your logic if I created a clothing brand where every garment was inspired by a picture of dogshit, it would be underrated because its a totally unique aesthetic entirely different than anything else out there? 

so, by your logic if I created a clothing brand where every garment was inspired by a picture of dogshit, it would be underrated because its a totally unique aesthetic entirely different than anything else out there?

Obvi not lol. Not everything is affected by some universal truth that applies to every scenario. But you can't say that the two aren't ridiculously creative, something that shouldn't be undermined as overrated; even if you dislike the designs you can't discount the ideas. If anything, there should at least be a little respect.

Also, dog s/t is gross, but grunge cowboys and futuristic medieval hunters (those are the best categorizations I could think of) are cool.

takahiro's work.. underrated? both cloak and (n) enjoyed a considerable following in their time and were carried widely in 

retail back then. the soloist generated a fair amount of interest still, but its forced eclecticism has something in common with cloak's very direct referencing of vintage uniform & athletic wear patterns. the sort of people interested in those aesthetic directions had always enjoyed piecing their wardrobe together from disparate finds: thrift, surplus and militaria collector circles. you'd see cloak or soloist often worn in combination with other things. 

i've no personal interaction with today's consumers of 'fashion' beyond the internet, so its difficult for me to say what the audience is looking for. but what i have noticed online have been people looking to subscribe to lifestyle brands. maybe the idea is that the clothing will associate one with some kind of culture, a sense of community, some personal attribute it carries and confers upon the wearer. while that kind of a relationship towards cloak or soloist would not have been impossible (anyone remember winQ?), the brands prominent online today are either good at catering to that need or those of yesteryear that were mythologised by later generations. often without any regard to the clothing they produced back then.

I've sold all of my ________, for what it's worth, but I formed the opinion.

didn't you sell literally everything? and those trousers that went to jin.. i'll never forgive you. you hear me? never!

i keep reading your name as 'saturdaynight duke nukem'

Edited by merz

you'd see cloak or soloist often worn in combination with other things. 

Cloak I'd probably agree . Again, like you, I don't have much of a vantage point on "fashion" consumption beyond the internet, but it seems like there are two distinct camps of people who wear the Soloist seem divided into two camps: people like you're describing, who have quite ecclectic closests, who'll buy a one or two items and assimilate them quite well into their own style, More often than not, it seems to be the hats - Diniro & Swims have both posted a great number of outfits topped off with a Soloist hat. On the other hand, there's people with a large wardrobe and enough money to assemble full "looks" of the Soloist, and other designers, and for them it seems the look is as interchangeable as any other: t3sjelly, a certain bearded fellow, even Diniro's made a post that looks near-to-full Soloist, and then there's even some styled as dead-ringers for takahiro, and of course, it looks a bit costume-ish, and where the often the pieces worn by the people in the first camp could be interchangeable with say a CA4LA or a handmade hat for example, the looks are so distinctly "Soloist" that these people are where the brand gains its visibility and its prime examples of being worn, and perhaps that's where the backlash comes from, people thinking the Soloist is nothing but a costume people can be subsumed by. Perhaps, like Supercilious said, Takahiro should be applauded for creating such unique and somewhat powerful garments, as head-to-toe APC or Acne would just look banal. 

The second paragraph brings up some really interesting ideas as well.

didn't you sell literally everything? and those trousers that went to jin.. i'll never forgive you. you hear me? never!

i keep reading your name as 'saturdaynight duke nukem'

Well, close to everything, I still have almost all my Schneider. But yeah, essentially everything else but a few pieces on Junya and Ann went. Not necessarily for being overrated mind you, but while I'd love to buy back some of my CdGH+ (And have tried), I certainly don't see myself buying Undercover again for a number of reason.

I have to say though, Jin wears those Evoluzione trousers far better than I did, I'm just glad he's happy with them. 

And the name was "Deux Nukem" (Hail to the king, baby) before i asked for a name change, but they couldn't fit the, err, "

" in there so it's Nukeman  :P

Rick is interesting enough and fills a niche that you can't replace. There are plenty of knockoffs and designers with similar aesthetic but none of them are quite the same. I think the problem is you either like Rick or you don't, and more often than not people who do like Rick really, really like it just because nothing else compares. It gets overrated when you see the ridiculous levels it gets to for some people.

I don't understand why cloak is in this conversation but Geller is not. I buy my fair share of Geller pieces each season, in some cases full retail, but I'm not afraid to admit a huge amount of his shit is overhyped. It's especially bad on styleforum. They ate up last seasons tarmac bomber which had an awful cut and ended up selling at 1/3 retail. Quality of the brand for its price point is not at all impressive either. Not to mention a lot of Geller's stuff is NOT cut for the average body type. Shit just don't look good on most people. 

Edited by Method

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

abercrombie is certainly shitty and it's popular with teen girls because of how it's marketed but I don't see how it's overrated ???

people who wear a&f could give less of a fuck, I don't see em going on the internet buying vintage abercrombie telling everyone how great the construction is

Hood by air, off white

was talking with someone who worked with hood by air when designer was coming up. i know nothing of the brand, but she was saying how the t-shirts and logo shit is just to make money for the artistic high fashion stuff the brand actually cares about. i havent looked into it, but i wonder. hba could in fact be the most underrated brand. i feel like if that is the case, did well with hypebeast crowd picking something up and brand taking advantage. w/e.

• 4 weeks later...

it's easy to rip on lots of shit regular people wear, but in regards to sufu-approved specifics:

cav empt - "hey everyone!!! i use the internet!!" 

wtaps - was cool before the explosion of lames wearing shirts/hoodies that say wtaps. still cool i guess, but a wtaps hoodie is akin to a supreme box logo hat nowadays

acronym is definitely cool, but beyond ergonomic to the point of being just corny. "oh shit my jacket got a dick sling on the inside that has a hidden zipper than i can fit my eighth of weed in haha what would i do without this dank jacket"

Edited by Mauisnake

• 2 weeks later...

was talking with someone who worked with hood by air when designer was coming up. i know nothing of the brand, but she was saying how the t-shirts and logo shit is just to make money for the artistic high fashion stuff the brand actually cares about. i havent looked into it, but i wonder. hba could in fact be the most underrated brand. i feel like if that is the case, did well with hypebeast crowd picking something up and brand taking advantage. w/e.

still waiting for their artistic high fashion stuff that the brand actually cares about.