PETITION FOR MORE FORUMS

KING CHOCOLATE

I've requested this before and just made a post in another thread about this, but decided to actually see if I can get anywhere this time.

As much as I'm interested in all the denim discussion, I think the original spirit of Supertalk as a "Global Shopping Expert" board is but a distant memory. Correct me if I'm wrong, but style and fashion goes beyond APCs and bathtub-shrunken levi's. So how come that's all that people not only discuss on ST, but come to expect from this messageboard? (other messageboard posters refer to Supertalk as the Denim boards)

Because of the influx of denim-ness, it's hard to find any non-denim related topics amidst all the selvedge and enzyme-wash, so..

Please sign the petition if you'd like to see more forum divisions based on DENIM, SNEAKERS, HIGH-END, DESIGNERS, STREET WEAR, and whatever else. Just to help with navigation and draw back more of a diverse audience. Perhaps in the process we can win back some of the original ST regulars who've been alienated by all the denim talk.

KING CHOCOLATE IS BACK

Edited by KING CHOCOLATE on Nov 30, 2005 at 03:15 AM

it is a good idea.

the problem with supertalk is that it's so hard AND annoying to find certain threads. it's like trying to find a book at a library that doesn't categorize their books. that's why some ppl here don't bother with the search, and just start a new topic on things that have already been talked to death about. anyone who thinks this isn't a good idea should also never tell someone to use the "SEARCH" function either.

Word. I agree with KING.

Supertalk has lost much of it's original flava. Not to mention most of the OG crew who talked a good roundtable on all fashion, not just denim.

Would just make things a lot more streamlined, functional, and inviting, to delineate a distinct denim forum for all that relevant information.

thehundreds is huge.

www.thehundreds.com

I also think think that it's fine as is. Separating out the FS section was a good idea and cleaned out SuperShopper alot. I'm afraid that if you make a separate demin section, then there won't be as much contribution to the threads.

I can see how the Search function can be a hassle on this forum. It's weird that the search will always bring results of individual posts that match the query. Usually MSG boards have an option to where you can have the results show the topics only and not the individual posts. That'll help people with searching.

If this forum is overrun with denim discussion, that's because that's what people want to talk about. If you want to talk about something else, start a new thread talking about something else... and people will reply to it, or they won't. Creating a new denim forum won't somehow "magically create" all sorts of non-denim discussion.

Quote: I think ST deserves a while new forum upgrade. Perhaps use vBulletin?

I agree... this CFBB v1.1.3 seems a little behind. The message boards I go to that are using vBulletin have nice features.

Edited by bufo on Nov 30, 2005 at 03:14 PM

I'm afraid that if you make a separate demin section, then there won't be as much contribution to the threads.

i can't speak for everyone but for me...i don't spend as much time on supertalk as i do on other forums because it's so unorganized. i think this is what actually causes less contribution to threads. because ppl have to search through pages and pages before they can find something they are interested in. look at other forums. they have different sections for a reason. i'd much rather have this than use the search function(which takes forever), or skim through a bunch of pages.

lets ask a better question: would it hurt to have a different section for denim??

Quote:

I'm afraid that if you make a separate demin section, then there won't be as much contribution to the threads.

i can't speak for everyone but for me...i don't spend as much time on supertalk as i do on other forums because it's so unorganized. i think this is what actually causes less contribution to threads. because ppl have to search through pages and pages before they can find something they are interested in. look at other forums. they have different sections for a reason. i'd much rather have this than use the search function(which takes forever), or skim through a bunch of pages.

lets ask a better question: would it hurt to have a different section for denim??

--- Original message by chadler on Nov 30, 2005 07:14 PM

We should make this in to a poll. Does this CFBB allow us to do that??

my fear is that denim forum will become just the same as supershopper has become has become

in super shopper, there are more than often threads about things NOT RELATED TO SHOPPING.

if the majority of the posts are on this denim forum my guess is that the same will happen and it will become the same thign as supershopper is now and super shopper will become jsut another forgotten forum

chwa?

i like ST because of the simplicity of interface.

i think alot of the extra funtionality results in a clutured screen, surely superfuture must look nice and clean.

ive read in many place about diiffulculty in finding things on the board, and suggestions for improvement in this area. it has alway seemed straightforward to me and i can't help thinking if you cant find stuff on here am i really going to be interested in what you have to say.

teisco.gif

Quote:

i like ST because of the simplicity of interface.

i think alot of the extra funtionality results in a clutured screen, surely superfuture must look nice and clean.

ive read in many place about diiffulculty in finding things on the board, and suggestions for improvement in this area. it has alway seemed straightforward to me and i can't help thinking if you cant find stuff on here am i really going to be interested in what you have to say.

--- Original message by haptronic on Nov 30, 2005 07:31 PM

The interface of other msg boards is very customizable. Here is one that I read alot: http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/. Compare it with this one: http://www.styleforum.net/index.php.

They both use vBulletin but Acurazine is much cleaner and gives me much less of a headache compared to Styleforum. So you can definilty design a clean/simple interface with alternate msg boards.

bufo

that board is slightly cleaner than styleforum. i use recent posts as my bookmark for ST, so see the active treads across the forums, so the seperation doesn't effect me anyway.

though where is that option ont the boards you suggest.

teisco.gif

I feel like "supershopper" incorporates more than just shopping/fashion right now.

For example, the thread about graffiti. Don't get me wrong, it's a great thread, and I'm a writer myself, but does it belong in "supershopper"?

It seems like there are too many topics unrelated to clothing that would be better suited for a general forum.

Rather than make seperate denim/streetwear/high-end fashion the way Style Forum is set up, I think there should be a general forum.

It would remove a lot of the posts that seem to clutter the board right now. I would imagine it would be tough to draw a distinction between something that could fit into both forums, but that's why we have mods, right Minya? icon_smile_wink.gif

Also, I don't think sneakers should really be talked about here, Just as denim shouldn't be talked about on Niketalk. Let's face it, if you want to learn about computers you go to a computer forum. So doesn't it make sense to ask sneaker questions on forums that are dedicated to sneakers like Niketalk, CrookedTongues, 5th Dimension, etc?

I'm a member of Niketalk, so I really don't want to be reading about sneakers here, or reading about denim there.

Ya feel me?

Prefiero morir de pie que vivir siempre arrodillado

this is ridiculous... supermall or whatever.. ok...

superdenim?

talk of supershoes?

holy shit. why cant we keep shit simple?.. i dont want to be flying through a bunch of forums to read something interesting when everything can all be on one. what is so wrong with how things are now?

this isn't niketalk, we dont have 40,000 members to fill up every forum. People really only go to supershopper anyways, and even this is a pretty slow moving forum.... keep it small. no one wants a thread with 1 reply that's been on the front page for a week.

• 6 months later...
Guest ARCANGELO
Word. I agree with KING.

Supertalk has lost much of it's original flava. Not to mention most of the OG crew who talked a good roundtable on all fashion, not just denim.

Would just make things a lot more streamlined, functional, and inviting, to delineate a distinct denim forum for all that relevant information.

thehundreds is huge.

www.thehundreds.com

I second BobbyHundreds. A forum that would focus on the design/art (and not to mention photography) aspect side of the industry could be worth looking into.