how to wash your jeans, so they wont get fading and loose indigo

ulrich

Hey Ulrich, welcome.

I'd also politely suggest you use the search feature, as this topic has been discussed many times, and you'll be able to view many opinions on your question.

Personally I would suggest the following:

1. Dry Cleaning - the only caveat would be to be very wary of this cleaning method if your jeans have leather labels.

2. Cold water soak. Good for just getting rid of dust and non-greasy dirt. You'll lose a little indigo, and may get a bit of shrinkage (depends if your jeans have been preshrunk) , and lose the shine that characterise many dry jeans.

3. Cold-to-tepid soapy water soak. If you have greasy stains (eg food), this may work for you. It's like washing delicate items, like handmade quilts & cashmere knits - use a simple soap (eg pure vegetable soap, no enzymes, no phosphates, no bleach). Soak and rinse in clean water until satisfied.

Turn inside out before washing, and hang dry.

Wet washing will remove the shine, but you'll get some of that back with wear - as the natural compression and friction will recreate a calandering effect. (like when you iron a black cotton shirt and create unwanted shine).

Good luck.

Quote:

Quote: use the fucking search function.

--- Original message by witts on Nov 24, 2005 06:34 AM

mind your own business you dont have a answer to my topic so what about just shut up

Ulrich, not to condescend to you, but judging by the number of your posts, you're pretty new here. Ringring is a saint, but Witts is just bluntly letting you know that most people picking up your thread are thinking. They're thinking it because this forum is built on people who've asked questions like yours, so the amount of archived knowledge is considerable and it's frustrating when people neglect it.

Whether you were aware of it or not there is a search function and it's really easy to use, so in future, just take a couple of minutes to look the subject of your post up before you start a new thread, and you may find your answer.

For instance. Here's a thread I started just a couple of weeks back on much the same topic as the one you're asking about.

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=5907

IMO vinegar makes denim softer post rinse. It smells faintly for a couple days and disappears quickly after a couple of days normal wear.

Quote:

Use the search button eldave! LOL, only joking.

Vinegar will clean your jeans up a bit, but that's about it.

--- Original message by ringring on Nov 24, 2005 08:13 AM

is this whole vinegar thing a myth or not? cheap mondays actually smell vinegar, so is vinegar or something similar used in the production of some jeans?

SOME GIRLS ARE BIGGER THAN OTHERS

I think the vinegar thing is pretty much a myth. I have tried in the past with LVC (which have indigo that doesn't stay very well) and still got a lot of indigo loss. I haven't tried it in an experimental "this vs that" situation, but I don't think it hepls. Use some castle soap like Dr Bronners, that is all I use now.

Carpe Denim! (not the jean brand silly!)

1123865699585_selvage_edited.JPG

Quote:
Quote:

Use the search button eldave! LOL, only joking.

Vinegar will clean your jeans up a bit, but that's about it.

--- Original message by ringring on Nov 24, 2005 08:13 AM

is this whole vinegar thing a myth or not? cheap mondays actually smell vinegar, so is vinegar or something similar used in the production of some jeans?

--- Original message by horriblyjollyjinx on Nov 24, 2005 10:01 AM

As far as I know, acetic acid (vinegar) is not used in jeans production. Vinegar is can be used in dyeing wools and silks in the acid dyeing process - where the salf & vinegar story springs from.

Indigo is an alkaline dye.

Anyway, testing it would be easy enough. Get a pair of dry jeans. Soak one leg in vinegar & leave to dry. Then rub a white cloth on each leg using equal pressure. Check for crocking.

My advice would be to save your vinegar for your fries or a nice salad.

I don't know why Cheap Monday's smell. Oh well, it could be worse....(think of the traditional practice of tanning leather with dog waste)

I think the idea of vinegar is a little bit of home chemistry gone wrong.

I guess what they were trying to say was that you could reduce some of the solid indigo that was layered on top of the fibres (which would come off next wash) back into liquid which could bind to fibres again.

Im pretty sure there is no way this would happen with acetic acid.

I hope that itch isn't what i think it is...

... could someone take a photo of me like this

Quote:

the last time i had a look at dr bronners in the shop there were a few flavours, perhaps about 4 i recall, does it matter which one?

--- Original message by meditation on Nov 24, 2005 09:55 PM

It makes no difference, depends what smell you prefer on your clothing (there'll only be a slight perfume when your jeans are wet). They have a non-perfumed version too.

Peppermint is nice.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sometimes dry cleaning involves hot evaporation of the cleaning fluid (perc). This can have a detrimental effect on some thin leather labels. I've seen some deer skin labels shrivelled up after dry cleaning. If you're worried, ust check with your dry cleaner to see if they are confident that their process won't have any effect on leather.

• 1 month later...

does the length of time you soak the jeans affect the loss of dye? i know that the longer you soak it removes more dirt right?

and is it alright to use yuri-matic fresh lilac. it has antiredeposition which prevents dirts in the wash water from re-deposit back to the fabrics during the wash cycle.

it contains deminerazlied water, linear dodecyl benzene sulphonic acid, sodium polyacrylates, sodium hydrroxide, alkldimethylbenzyl ammonium chlorides, defoamer, triclosan, fragrance and colours.

is any of the ingredients unsafe. i know i might be a little paraniod, but it's better to be on the safe side.

or should i just use mild liquid hand soap which cost $1.99. haha.

My advise if they are dry unwashed is to wear them unwashed for several months until you can't stand them and wear them a while longer, then rinse them in COLD water (NO SOAP) in a tub or sink and hang dry. That way the denim stays very dark while the high wear areas become very light and get those wonderful cat whiskers. It really works but is not for the impatient.

it has been four months and i just did my washing. i realise the whiskers are visible even when it's wet but the honeycombs behind the knees weren't really there, although there's a color contrast when i turn it inside out.

btw before i wash it, it seems to get moist the next day after i took it off. could it be the humidity?

Quote:

it has been four months and i just did my washing. i realise the whiskers are visible even when it's wet but the honeycombs behind the knees weren't really there, although there's a color contrast when i turn it inside out.

btw before i wash it, it seems to get moist the next day after i took it off. could it be the humidity?

--- Original message by boomslang20117 on May 7, 2006 12:58 PM

sweat more likely.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sauce1

^ but even coldsoaking will remove the luster/shine, yes?

are there ways to retain the shine?

Just want to confirm...in that case i guess i will never soak my denim.

someone took my niketalk name here.