radiohead vs. every other band on earth

cjbreed

is radiohead the greatest band on earth?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. is radiohead the greatest band on earth?

• yes
    • no
    • no because the rolling stones still perform and they are even better than the beatles
    • no its the beatles, even with 2 dead members
    • no its john mayer because he nails A-list ass
    • sanjaya rules
    • lil wayne yo
    • pussycat dolls?

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone else into the birthday party?

i have been listening to the new Nick Cave while i have been painting the house----it does the trick

nick cave is the one of the nicest & most awesome dudes i've ever met. mad talentz too.

if you want to know what "amazing" means in terms of a live performance, watch this:

3g5-AEI4-BA

haven't checked sufu in a few days but i just read over the last several pages of this thread and laughed out loud many times.

and about that ministry video, i, like kunk, was there. (i even referenced jello biafra's guest rant years later in a paper i had to write for an english comp class on modern protest. funny). i used to be so in to ministry. ha.

anyway, this kind of illustrates my point that, for me, it is easy to like all kinds of different music. i mean i love radiohead, but i also love ministry and pigface and tool and wilco and built to spill and the flaming lips and bjork and the grateful dead and widespread panic and the beatles and the stones and slayer and bob dylan and paul simon and hank williams (I, II, and III) and billy joe shaver and willie nelson and talib kweli and raekwon and jay-z and nas and wolf parade and band of horses and sex pistols and the clash and the pretenders and the talking heads and stevie wonder and parliament and prince and michael jackson and stevie ray vaughn and blitzen trapper and mogwai and tv on the radio and who fuckin knows who else. it doesn't have to be one or the other.

the main thing is that it just has to be good. they have to be good at what they are trying to do. and true to what they are trying to do. the first thing that will turn me off to music is if the primary purpose of the music is to be a commercial product. to make money. if something is good and artistic and still makes money (radiohead) then so what and good for them.

it has to be some form of artistic self expression. and it has to move me in some way, whether it be moved to happiness or sadness or to anger or to dance or to self reflection or whatever it is. it just has to be good at that thing. then once they have the substance, style comes into play.

well sorry for rambling. it could also just have a good beat and be easy to dance to...

i was soooooo into ministry back when

i feel like i was walking in al jourgensen's footsteps when i lived in Florida in the early 1990s

his relations were everywhere, i'd say, say hi to al for me, and they'd be like, sure

it seemed like every post apocalyptic movie set in the early nineties had STOMPING soundtracks featuring ministry, NIN, front 242, mussolini headkick and whatnot

those were good times for getting part of your head shaved, letting the rest dread-up, and asking mom to drive you to the record store to pick up t-shirts, wax trax black box, and stickers to put on your skateboard

speaking of which

i know i have pictures of yours truly from the early 90s wearing a ministry shirt, part of my head shaved, skateboarding in now-coveted skateshoes

i sometimes miss the US vs THEM-ness of those days when listening to that music meant being spit on and having only say 5 friends and getting a NIN tape (for god's sake!) was a fucking quest instead of a couple clicks to DL

ddml... aren't you like, 19/20?

I don't even remember those days because I was a kid when it all went down. All I can say I remember is seeing "N.W.O" by Ministry on Head Bangers Ball like, late late at night when I was 6 or 7 and being like THIS IS THE HEAVIEST THING IVE EVER HEARD. that song has two chords in it. so badass.

I hate what's become of industrial/electronic-goth culture due to the rise of Hot Topic. I was never into it, but the music was so cool, but now seeing fat kids walk around in bondage pants and a NIN hoodie just means that they're angry at their parents and have no real talent. Back in the day, those kids would like be like computer programmers or genius writers or musicians and would form bands or groups or create the next cool-underground late 90's fad, but instead, the obese of my generation have turned it into something extremely lame and consumer-based.

WHAT HAPPENED KUNK?

I hate what's become of industrial/electronic-goth culture due to the rise of Hot Topic. I was never into it, but the music was so cool, but now seeing fat kids walk around in bondage pants and a NIN hoodie just means that they're angry at their parents and have no real talent. Back in the day, those kids would like be like computer programmers or genius writers or musicians and would form bands or groups or create the next cool-underground late 90's fad, but instead, the obese of my generation have turned it into something extremely lame and consumer-based.

WHAT HAPPENED KUNK?

same thing that happened with skateboarding, punk, hardcore, etc... they became "styles" and then became commodities. see, back then, if you wanted to be into that kind of shit, you had to work for it. you had to WANT to be into it. now you type it into google and its in front of you. you go to the mall and they have a store for that shit.

same thing that happened with skateboarding, punk, hardcore, etc... they became "styles" and then became commodities. see, back then, if you wanted to be into that kind of shit, you had to work for it. you had to WANT to be into it. now you type it into google and its in front of you. you go to the mall and they have a store for that shit.

exactly. I think that happened about the time when I tried my hand at skating, like late '98/99 when Tony Hawk Pro-Skater came out. I remember my brother started getting a subscription to CCS and I beasted of skating stuff, though I had yet to even be able to do a rudimentary ollie. I was never into the clothing though, it was more of the attitude. Didn't stick with it long cause I grew too tall and my center of gravity went to shit so I couldn't really stand on a skateboard let alone try a trick.

yep... 98 was the tipping point for skateboarding.... or THPS was really. i miss the days where we would get made fun , get shit thrown at us from passing cars, and get shit on by society in general. it made it that much more intriguing, and you knew that the kid you saw with the fucked up skate shoes loved it just as much as you. now, its like being into any other thing. its a style for people to emulate instead of a worldview.

only thing that i like about now is i actually can get laid and skate. girls seem to like it now.

Its funny, I grew up in a relatively metropolitan area (New Haven), and I didn't notice skating culture until I moved to a suburb (Wilton). Considering there was a huge college population where I was living before and a considerable middle-working class population that supported that college population, looking back, I don't know why/how I didn't notice it at the time. Maybe it needs a much more urban or much more suburban setting to become extremely noticeable. Skating culture always was about extremes, and developing at those opposite poles of socio-economic locations makes some sense, right? Still, I find it really odd that I didn't notice it (even though it didn't break until I moved to that suburban town) before I moved to a suburban town. Odd how mainstream culture adopts things, especially when your life gets transplanted to an entirely new environment.

how are we meeting nick cave, thom yorke, et al?

i work for jellynyc, a brooklyn booking company, who sponsors the PLUG independent music awards. i met him at the award show this past may along with dizzee rascal, el-p, etc.

i had to shadow dizzee and el-p for about 4 hours before they were on stage, which meant i had to get them drinks and basically be their bitch. dizzee is real cool and kept calling me ma the entire night. el-p is dope too cos he invited my friend and i to the after-party, which had open bar till 6am.

i don't envy you for hanging out with el producto

i was at that gig when his whole crew was dusted and EL-P smacked a kid for heckling him during stepfather factory; it might be the worst concert experience for me; bug-out city, homophobic tirades by CAGE (iirc) between songs, 9-11 towers footage looped on the screen.... ugh; shortly afterward, i purged most of my Jux records, with only a few exceptions