Workshirts

gimmegimme

what the 'ell is up with Lands Ends..! they have a great looking red chambray, vintage sweatshirt I'd buy and work boots now....?

what the 'ell is up with Lands Ends..! they have a great looking red chambray, vintage sweatshirt I'd buy and work boots now....?

Yeah I went to check out the pricing on some stuff and discovered a shitload of awesome looking stuff.

Yeah, the LE Canvas stuff is really nice for the price. I have a couple of the chambrays, including the red one, and for $40 the are great. Looking forward to checking out the new selvage one, but price is getting steep relative to the rest of their line. Sweatshirts are also great.

Red chambray is my favorite though, killer shirt and highly recommended.

Yeah, the LE Canvas stuff is really nice for the price. I have a couple of the chambrays, including the red one, and for $40 the are great. Looking forward to checking out the new selvage one, but price is getting steep relative to the rest of their line. Sweatshirts are also great.

Red chambray is my favorite though, killer shirt and highly recommended.

sold!

I've been wanting a red chambray anyway... I'd like to see that sweatshirt up close though... it looks like it could be a winner.

well I did it... ordered a red one... I got both large and xlarge just to make sure I get the right size... then I'll return the wrong one to sears...

the sweatshirt is nice but it's 88/12 cotton poly ... I need 100 cotton...

Whenever I see a chinstrap on a kid on TV, I take it for granted it's J Crew. J Crew seems to be the baseline signifier of semi-stylish teen on tv.

Either that or GAP. I believe there are even some pictures in this thread of nippers wearing the big G.

This brings up a question that is, as far as I know, still unanswered: what specifically is the chinstrap supposed to do? Make really, REALLY sure the top button doesn't come undone? I guess maybe if you have a super-thick workingman's neck then this could be important?

Maybe it's just supposed to look cool?

Personally I wear my chinstraps buttoned back. I do not let it all hang out like they do on the TV. The TV and I will just have to disagree on that one.

This brings up a question that is, as far as I know, still unanswered: what specifically is the chinstrap supposed to do? Make really, REALLY sure the top button doesn't come undone? I guess maybe if you have a super-thick workingman's neck then this could be important?

Maybe it's just supposed to look cool?

It's a functional period element.

If you look at a lot of photos of the period you'll see a lot of men wore their shirts buttoned all the way up and tucked in, even out in the fields in the summer. Why? Maybe it was the style back that even though you were doing manual labor you should still be as neat and presentable as you possibly could, and the strap would let you button yet keep it loose OR if you did have wider shoulders you could still button it. Just a guess. I button mine in the winter when I have a couple of layers underneath and you can't button it normally.

Quite a few pics in here of men at the time buttoning all the way up. No chinstraps to be seen though. You can also just do a google search of 1920s farmer or something similar. Surely there are people in here who can answer this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/sets/72157603671370361/

men in the 1930's were not the slobs they are today.

They tucked in shirts, polished shoes, wore a sports/suit coat to go anywhere (if they owned one). Even if your clothes were patched and tattered you tried to look the best you could with what you had.

Manual labor is tough on any piece of clothing and having a double chin strap just insures that the top button does not get ripped off, plus like eczer said, you can loosen it up if you want, but still look presentable.

It might also be a throw back in design to when shirts didn't have collars?

It's a functional period element...the strap would let you button yet keep it loose OR if you did have wider shoulders you could still button it.

Manual labor is tough on any piece of clothing and having a double chin strap just insures that the top button does not get ripped off

Yes, I know that people used to dress better, and that David Lynch didn't invent buttoning all the way up.

But it has never been specifically clear to me, even now, what exactly the chinstrap is designed for. It does certainly reinforce the top button. But were people really blowing out the top button that often? Sure, it can give you a little wiggle room in case you gain some neck-weight. But did that happen?

Understand, I'm looking for a definitive answer, not speculation. Like how we know that LS&Co and Jacob Davis patented riveted pants. I am looking for primary documentation.

But yes! You are both surely right! And since no one holds the patent on chinstraps, my unreasonably specific question will probably go unanswered. :D

EDIT: Amazing shirt Riff! How many people in this thread have one coming? Looking forward to the photos...

And to Eczerwonka and Happy Hooligan--thanks for taking a stab at my question. I realize my response here sounds defensive. That's because it is! I made myself sound like a know-nothing in the original question, and I'm not a know-nothing, so I came back a little strong in re: your answers. I am apparently kind of insecure sometimes. Sorry about that!