Workshirts

gimmegimme

Original work shirts have much longer tails than current Japanese reproductions. Here's a cool Red Ram brand salt and pepper shirt from the 50's. Check out those long tails! I prefer to tuck in my shirts and find Lofgren and some of the others too easily pull out because of the short tails.

saltII.jpg

saltlabel.jpg

I recently got this shirt from local thrift market, can someone id what kind of shirt is this? It has something stamped on the back collar (unreadable). It is wool herringbone fabric with orange selvedge.

IMG00363-20110114-2153.jpg

The shirt

IMG00359-20110114-2150.jpg

Selvedge cuff

IMG00355-20110114-2149.jpg

Lands End Canvas online has their red heritage chambray on a nice sale. Some folks may be jaded with their Japanese super-chambs, but these are actually very nice. I've got the striped navy version, and it is fast becoming one of my favorite shirts. The picture seems to show them using matching top stitch, but I seem to recall when they had them at the local Sears (the red didn't last long) that the top stitch was white. I've got no problem with tuck length on these, but then most of my pants tend to crowd my bellybutton.

wow, $14.99 for the LE Canvas red chambray is a steal! I have one and like it quite a bit for a $40 shirt even. I actually had my company logo put over the left breast pocket so I could wear a shirt I actually like when times call for company apparel.

I love workshirts, almost all I wear most days, and I have amassed a decent selection of them lately. I think I probably have 10 or so now including some nice ones from Mister Freedom, Sugar Cane, Sunny Sports, Iron Heart, EPs by Epaulet, and KMW along with the more mundane from J Crew. Love all the pics posted here and thinking I might need to add a wabash shirt next, the FH one at Self Edge looks pretty nice.

Gonna go ahead and post this link here. I got this SDA shirt for sale:

11oz of pure chambray heaven. Eat this shit up.

Texture is nicer than a muthafucka.

It's really hard to photograph this fabric with my crappy camera...

p1210033.jpg

Have to say Lofgren's stuff is good quality at a decent price, the measurements provided are spot on, they make them bigger than other Japanese brands, and the e-mail support is super helpful (not to mention the small discount given) - will have to do some more business with Speedway in the future :)

So I've never liked the pockets on my gap shirt. So I took off the tiny top flap and added a button hole, and made the other pocket into a cigarette pocket with a pencil holder.

My stitching isn't the best as I'm a bit out of practice. But at least it looks better than those tiny flaps. The old stitch holes should disappear after a wash or two..

DSC09793.jpg?t=1295818031

DSC09794.jpg?t=1295818031

DSC09795.jpg?t=1295818031

DSC09797.jpg?t=1295818031

DSC09799.jpg?t=1295818031

• 2 weeks later...

just got this Rising Sun Chambray a few weeks ago on a flea market. i dont know about the Rising Sun, but its made in China, are this shirt legit or what? unfortunately i cant take some fit pics at the moment

tretr.jpg

htrg.jpg

this is the real color of the shirt, and i dont know how to describe the white line, are those selvedge or what?

just another tasty fabric

hytr.jpg

Not positive, but I don't think that shirt is made by rising sun out of pasadena. Also, I don't think that is selvedge detailing, but maybe some other white fabric sewn over the chambray. I can't tell from the pics though.

Shirt does look nice though. You should post some full shots of it.

^ I'm afraid I'll have to take a rain-check for now as well.

I'm looking for a chambray shirt in a slightly different colour anyway...a light heather grey, similar to the Neal Cassidy Rail Road one in white pepper by Freewheelers.

yeah, i have to skip as well although I would love to get my hands on the black covert and plaid chambray shirts. For may he has some black duck products planned (railroad jacket and work pants)