Workshirts

gimmegimme

how much do those SChiesser shirts cost? I checked out some local shops that carry Schiesser but they dont carry that line...

But, I did receive my black organic chambray work shirt today from Sunny Sports. Amazing shirt and lots of nice details, will post pictures soon

• 2 weeks later...

Tried my hand at sewing a work shirt. Doing a flatfelled seam on the body/arm seam is a bitch. I cut the pattern too large so I will not be wearing this. I think a co worker of mine is going to get it. Anyways, my first try at a shirt. Scored some mediocre chambray off of ebay for like 4.99 a yard.

frontef.jpg

"Placket" It is actually a fake placket.

centerline.jpg

Tried my hand at gussets.

gusset.jpg

Cigarette Pocket.

leftpocket.jpg

Utility Pocket

rightpocket.jpg

The whole thing. As you can see the shirt (shit) came out too wide. I don't know what I was thinking, but I cutout the medium pattern. I knew it was too big when I cut it out. Oh well.

frontwhole.jpg

well, damn that looks pretty good. nice work for a first try o_O.

those gap shirts a page back or so actually look pretty good too. their small button downs fit me decently so i might drop by and check them out.

i'm mainly wanting to find a work shirt that's just black or dark gray and less than $150. not a western, no epaulets. just something pretty plain.

Nice first try on the shirt.

For Christmas my cousin bought me some old Big Yank chambray shirt that's waaaayyy too big that I'm considering deconstructing and trying to piece a usable shirt out of. Fabric and stitching looks similar to the shirt you did...maybe this is what I needed to see to make it happen for myself. My wife even has a nice Janome I can use...to be continued.

thats a hell of a homemadeshirt!was it your first try and how do you learned to sew?i ask cause there is some cheap sewingmachine down the cellar,maybe i should give it a try.

It doesn't really take much to learn how to "sew." I bought a machine (singer 15-91) and just set it up and bought some cheap denim to practice on. Setting the tension right was a bit difficult, but the operational portion of sewing is pretty easy, but piecing everything together and making something that fits is a bit more difficult. The only other garment I have made so far is a pair of canvas shorts with denim accents. They are kinda ugly, but they do fit and i wear them around the house.

I recommend everybody who is interested in garment production to try their hand at making clothes. It helps you appreciate the difficulties of the process, but it also helps you spot the "gimmicks," like selvage accents, and others. It can help you see why a shirt costs $30 as opposed to $150. Anytime a serger is used on a shirt, it is a definite turn off to me. It usually means that someone was trying to cut corners and limit productions costs, not to mention it just doesn't look like a clean finish. I am referring to shirts, pants are a bit different.

Nice first try on the shirt.

For Christmas my cousin bought me some old Big Yank chambray shirt that's waaaayyy too big that I'm considering deconstructing and trying to piece a usable shirt out of. Fabric and stitching looks similar to the shirt you did...maybe this is what I needed to see to make it happen for myself. My wife even has a nice Janome I can use...to be continued.

This would be worthwhile to do, but i would suggest you try constructing one from scratch first. It would be a bummer to ruin nice fabric and a shirt. If the shirt is just too wide and too long, it shouldn't be too hard, but if you need to adjust the collar it may be pretty difficult.

a chambray is my next project... I have the vintage fabric, and load of old buttons, but I think I should make a test shirt first in the pattern I want before I ruin what I have.

My first shirt was with flannel and I would not suggest doing your first shirt with flannel as it frays quite easily. A tight chambray cotton would be much easier to work with.

That 15 singer is a nice machine. I'm using an old white rotary and it just has trouble with really thick denim. Plus it doesn't have reverse which I wish it did.

I love to see people make their own stuff! excellent work....

I just gave it to my coworker and he was ecstatic. It actually looks pretty good on him. I ain't got a camera here, but I would take a picture. Fit is a bit boxy, but I expected that. Overall, I am much more proud now that I see it on him.

He's just happy with the utility pocket. I work at an engineering firm and we are all a bunch of geeks and get a kick out of seeing how many pens we can fit in a single pocket.

I just picked up a nice grey chambrey workshirt off ebay. I've had a couple in the past but they were either too faded (not dark enough of a grey / already faded out) or not the right size. This one will work nicely though and be a good break from the blue all the time. I want more colors now. Will be getting the tan one from The Gap with the tab collar, if they ever decide to put them on sale in my area. Ignore my dirty ass mirror !

flattop5.png

Speaking of Gap (for the Poors on sufu), what do you guys think of this chambray pullover? To cop or not to cop...

gp719552-00vliv01.jpg

this picture is deceiving. i checked this out today and it has this weird sheen to it. it's pretty shiny. really thin. i wasn't digging it. it's noticeably tighter than gap's normal button down sizing too. the shirt is built to cuff above the elbow, which i don't do, so the button on the sleeve looks kinda weird there and there's stitching around it to make it stand out.

i did like the way the twill and light infantry shirts fit, though,

this picture is deceiving. i checked this out today and it has this weird sheen to it. it's pretty shiny. really thin. i wasn't digging it.

Yea, that's true.. when borkborkbork originally posted that picture, I replied on page 82:

" however be aware that this particular one is not so much a chambrey shirt (though it is called that), to me it's real close in texture to a poplin rather than chambrey"

Update for the Poors: Just got my Ben Davis shirt (size medium-tall.) Definitely need to wash it to get the starch out. VERY happy with the cloth - super thick. Also very happy with the sleeve length - actually long enough for my ridiculous arms.

Only downside is that it is INSANELY long. I presume they're intended to be tucked in. I'm going to see what happens after it sees some hot water. I may have to hem it a bit shorter.

Update:

Obviously designed to be tucked in. Even after a hot soak, it's excessively long (like, absurdly long, despite me being 6'3". This is not a problem I usually face). Also, the arm holes are gigantic. Totally out of proportion, makes the sleeves billowy.

The length of the sleeves is spot on, and I love the giant pockets, the little part of the pocket for a pen/pencil, etc. But overall it's a no-go.

I remember a few months ago I was bummed when History Preservation sold out of the Sugar Cane Satokibi Paradise denim workshirt:

http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/detailpop.php?uniqnum=392

http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/images/sc_stkbiplovr_mont.jpg

Details up the wazoo!

They got a restock and had 3 size larges in stock, and I just placed an order for one. Should be here next week. SUP!

I remember a few months ago I was bummed when History Preservation sold out of the Sugar Cane Satokibi Paradise denim workshirt:

http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/detailpop.php?uniqnum=392

http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/images/sc_stkbiplovr_mont.jpg

Details up the wazoo!

They got a restock and had 3 size larges in stock, and I just placed an order for one. Should be here next week. SUP!

normally not a fan of denim tops but that shirt looks great!

I'm really liking this Monitaly shirt. I won't be buying it, though, as I'm still working on my MFSC denim utility shirt.

1944.jpg

So I received the Ben Davis hickory stripe shirt, size medium/tall (MT). The fit is absolutely ridiculous. It's super, super long (obviously designed to be tucked in). The shoulders are pretty big on me, and I'm not a small guy (6'3", 200lbs). But the most absurd part are the sleeves. I could easily - EASILY - fit two of my arms into one armhole. The sleeves are gigantic and billowy, and then taper to a very slim wrist. Overall, the fit is ridiculously bad.

Here's a pic.

aw6jj9.jpg

I just got a Big Bill shirt that fits like a charm, so I'm going to try copping their hickory stripe shirt and see if it's any better. It's also priced for The Poors, at <$50.

So I received the Ben Davis hickory stripe shirt, size medium/tall (MT). The fit is absolutely ridiculous. It's super, super long (obviously designed to be tucked in). The shoulders are pretty big on me, and I'm not a small guy (6'3", 200lbs). But the most absurd part are the sleeves. I could easily - EASILY - fit two of my arms into one armhole. The sleeves are gigantic and billowy, and then taper to a very slim wrist. Overall, the fit is ridiculously bad.

it is a work shirt buddy. meant to be tucked in and to have ample space for arm movement. stretching and reaching for shit. I understand its not the "fashion fit" you wanted but, its far from ridiculous methinks.

you ever had to pick up things all day with a shirt that is too short? its terrible.

Yeah, I got the tall. The regular might help to resolve the hem length a bit, but the sleeves would be too short (as is, they are *just* adequate in length). I'm not sure where the convention in tall sizing of extending the hem by far longer than the sleeves came from, but it's a bad one :)

lol @rob. Yes, I know, the labels are a little ridiculous. But my regular camera is fucked, so I've been using my cellphone, and the pics are somewhere short of clear and crisp :)