Vintage Cars

Vitamian

i love dumped old vws as well. especially this squareback

resize20of20dscf4142py4.jpg

word. that looks nice but the back wheel doesnt look too healthy, i member my uncle had a vw bus the one with a camper back in the 80's but it had a hard time going uphill

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

f1-1.jpg

Practicality out the window, this is (among many others) my dream car, a white 2000GT. I have this real soft spot for 1970's/1980's Japan and this one really does it for me. Given that these are probably gonna be like $200,000 by the time I can finally afford one, I'd settle for a Datsun G-nose possibly...

As a kid though, I had a real thing for the round Euro headlamp-ed cars. That look of two columns of light blazing through the pitch dark, awesome and timeless. I started with a Mk. II GTi before I even had a license, went through a couple E30's, took a really brief detour with an Integra GSR and a Civic hatch made from the then-crashed GSR, lost interest in the coveted/mystical JDM thing after going to Japan and realizing i was buying junkyard throwout parts from Japan for a small fortune (buying rare stuff from Japan over the internet and browsing internet message groups, hmmmm), and then my dad gave in and got me a slightly used 540i before I went off to college.

Shit, I miss this car so much, easily a favorite car of all-time for me. I will probably own another like someday for nostalgia. It's been sitting collecting dust at my parents house for a couple years now, this is how I left it; pretty much stock except for some software changes, big BBS's and P-Zeros, and a suspension. In my mind, this car was great because it mixed a slightly vintage look with modern mechanicals, last of its kind in my opinion.

atcarwash.jpg

Money no object, I'd have at least the following vintage (and not so vintage) cars in my dream garage:

-2002Tii, absolutely mint condition, in a cornflower metallic color, period-correct upgrades and 15" 3-piece Panasports or magnesium Watanabes, with an E30 M3 S14 engine swap. to tear around in...

-an old-school 911, like a late-60's/early-70's with all that chrome, houndstooth seats, in some piss beige color...

-a last-run Mercedes W124 500E, completely blacked out like all of those AMG's that used to run around Japan in the late 80's and early 90's...

-a vintage Alpina of some sort in Malachite Green metallic, preferably an E24-based car just to enjoy the color of...

-the white 2000GT as above

-an E34 M5 touring wagon, one of the limited edition ones like a Nurburging or something in British Racing Green for the groceries

-a dark blue/robin's egg blue leather F355 Spyder for when I feel like going for tacos or kebabs

... a bit eccentric, but all for pracitical day to day driving, influenced by all the cars that've made an impression on me in my lifetime. I can enjoy museum-quality cars like Gullwings and Ferrari Daytonas, but I really just want to drive my cars. Among new cars, the only two new cars I'd be interested in having off a showroom floor would be an Aston DB9 Volante and a white Maserati Quattroporte...

• 1 month later...
What, no Astons? Even their current lineup is gorgeous, though since they've been dropped by Ford I'm wondering how much money will be going into the next generation.

img01.jpg

"Dropped"? It was bought back by a British consortium for 400 and something million...I actually drove one of these once (or at least a DB6-same thing but with a bit longer boot). Pure 60's driving...wheel spins on wire wheels (wasn't mine and was wet so couldn't really be avoided;)), 150mph top speed, and wipers that just kinda move the rain around rather than get rid of it. Nothing compares to driving one of these though...I have rarely experienced such conscientious road users as I have when driving one of these. Other things are fun to drive, but nothing beats seeing everyone smile at you (at least in England), and let you in front of them just to watch it glide by. Truly an awe inspiring experience. Try doing that with a Porsche, and you recieve jealousy and contempt. These just get smiles:D

On sound alone I would have one of these...they sound fantastic, and get the same sort of reaction from on-lookers as the aston (at least in America where I drove this). Not mine-my brother's-btw (:()

xk120.jpg

xkint.jpg

And that's me trying really hard to not wrap it round a tree...

xkme.jpg

On sound alone I would have one of these...they sound fantastic, and get the same sort of reaction from on-lookers as the aston (at least in America where I drove this). Not mine-my brother's-btw (:()

xk120.jpg

xkint.jpg

And that's me trying really hard to not wrap it round a tree...

xkme.jpg

That's a Jaguar XK150 isn't it?

That's a fantastic sort of car.

That's a Jaguar XK150 isn't it?

That's a fantastic sort of car.

I think it's an XK120 (not sure though could be a 150). It's from 1953 if I remember right. They sound and drive fantastically! Everyone has posted beautiful cars on here. To change the pace slightly, this one is mine...1963 Royal Enfield Crusader Sports (currently under resto.)

crusader.jpg

i was in a ferrari 360 spider the other day and it was an experience. i loved that the interior was bare except for the essentials, no luxury whatsoever. the windows don't even open electronically. the stereo isn't built in (you can add it if you wish) because the only music you are supposed to be hearing is the sound of the engine.