Tumblr

NatseOklim

Saw a pic I liked on tumblr when looking at things tagged with #ithaca. Clicked it to check out the person's tumblr, stumbled upon a picture of my hand holding Ben & Jerry's ice cream.. who is -determined.tumblr.com?

• 2 weeks later...
Broke 20,000 followers. Sufu definitely played a part, thanks.

Damn, impressive. Read your post on your site just now but I'm curious (i'm not looking to up my followers or anything, I don't really care to put anymore time into my tumblr than I do and its already very, very little) but I'm more curious since you're in a unique position, what would you say you've learned to be the most effective in gaining / maintaining followers? Anything you feel like you've learned about controlling so many eyeballs? Anything that surprised you (say, something you thought would work with your rather strong background but didn't)? or anything else you learned / etc... that was interesting or surprising and doesn't have anything to do with followers, whatever really!

Damn, impressive. Read your post on your site just now but I'm curious (i'm not looking to up my followers or anything, I don't really care to put anymore time into my tumblr than I do and its already very, very little) but I'm more curious since you're in a unique position, what would you say you've learned to be the most effective in gaining / maintaining followers? Anything you feel like you've learned about controlling so many eyeballs? Anything that surprised you (say, something you thought would work with your rather strong background but didn't)? or anything else you learned / etc... that was interesting or surprising and doesn't have anything to do with followers, whatever really!

I think it's going to sound pretentious any way I try to answer this.

I will say though that when I first started, I used the blog mostly to just collect cool images and clothes I liked (which is what the bulk of sufu tumblrs are now). Eventually I got tired of it and since I was already a huge film and art buff, I started to work that in. Pretty soon, it was anything that caught my eye went up on the blog, which included articles and short stories.

There are sites that do menswear well. There are sites that do funny cat pictures well. And there are sites that mine the internets for great articles that challenge and inspire you. I think there are few sites that attempt to do it all and do it well. I want to connect with intelligent people. If I wanted to clear 20k a lot faster, I would have just posted tattoos, girls and cars. But what are all those followers worth if they're all simpletons? I'm not looking to inspire people, though that is a byproduct of the site. I see it more like i'm on a ham radio and I'm sending out signals and I'm hoping that the people on the other line are every bit as intelligent and creative as I'd like to be.

I think if I've learned anything, it's that variety is what I like, and obviously what a lot of people enjoy as well. People like to be pleasantly surprised with things that might not normally see. For me, I can only take so much jjjjound-esque streams of content before it all starts to blur together. That's not to say I've completely turned my back on it; I just get my fill by going to other people's sites and moving on. I don't feel the need to reblog it as I'm assuming most people have seen it already.

As for stuff I thought would work but didn't, I think everything works. I make a lot of posts in draft form first, even if it's just an image. I'll let it sit there for a while and if I still like it when I come back I'll post it. I also go back and edit posts quite often, esp if they're posts I've written myself. If there's something really weak I end up not liking later, I go back in the archives and delete it. I think for the majority of tumblr they treat it like moodboards, throwing up whatever they feel like at the time. I like to be deliberate about my posts. All articles usually sit in my instapaper account first. I'll read it through and if I still like it at the end, then it'll make it's way to the blog. I think if bloggers applied harsher filters to the things they put up and went with a less is more approach, they'd get a lot more loyal followers. Looking at my web stats, yes it gets a lot of new visitors a day (bigger sites, reblogs etc) but the recency of the visits from non-new visitors is more telling.

Once you pass like the 3k or 4k mark, there's no turning back. You don't really lose followers, you just gain and gain.

I hope that helps.

Good read man, appreciate you giving it some thought. Doesn't strike me as pretentious at all.

Once you pass like the 3k or 4k mark, there's no turning back. You don't really lose followers, you just gain and gain.

That makes sense, I've found it interesting how the domino effect happens occasionally (I've gotten more than a few posts that, usually through re-blogs from someone big since I only have like 80 followers on Codeine & Coffins, will pick up a few hundred re-blogs)* where one post gets hyped so people show up and run across something old and re-blog that, etc... so I imagine with your # of followers and posts it happens all the time.

*the archive thing is interesting too since I havent posted in New Reference in six months but it has almost as many followers and still gets posts, etc... since it's all original content and people will usually re-blog / like several posts