The Perfect Trenchcoat

lucky_cloud

Consider this a subthread of the Winter Coats thread. I'm looking for something that's preferably khaki or navy rather than black. Something fairly prep, but still interesting.

alaindelonab6.jpg

Alain Delon looks pretty badass in a tenchcoat, but I'm thinking of something maybe a bit more modern (i.e. shorter, not belted, something like that).

Also partially thinking of Rogerio Duprat:

rogerioduprat.jpg

Or M. Hulot, or Marcello Mastroianni. Pretty much any 60's art movie has a guy looking rad in a trenchcoat.

Anyway, who's got some recommendations?

beautifulonesvyu6.jpg

This is what I'm looking for, personally. Beltless, khaki and mid-thigh. Good balance between what a classic trench-coat is ostensibly "all about" but still fairly modern.

The one pictured is from an argentinian brand called The Beautiful Ones. Between the strange looking "collar" and the highly implausible nature of buying anything from the brand I'm going to pass on this one but it's a good reference point.

Great thread.

I have spent the past year and a half looking for the perfect trench coat and although I have been very close to buying one several times, something has got in the way. I'll add this thread to my favourites in case a beautiful pops up.

I myself am looking for black, with a belt, or perhaps a dark brown. Double breasted is preferred as well.

Is there any chance of a decent trench in the sub <300$ range? I was eyeing Michael J Krell's, but does anyone have experience with his trenches? I ordered a pair of slim dress pants from him and the fit was spot on.

burberry trenches can be had on sale for about $700. they also offer a good amount of accessories like linning for winter and collar linners for their trenches. another option is burberry's made to measure program, but that's if you have a couple of grand sitting around.

Is there any chance of a decent trench in the sub <300$ range? I was eyeing Michael J Krell's, but does anyone have experience with his trenches? I ordered a pair of slim dress pants from him and the fit was spot on.

I've seen one or two worn on people and if you get the right size they're well made and fit nice. If a few minor details were changed in his design i would have already bought one by now.

perfect trench coats do not have belts because they fit well enough.

whilst i place that outrageous comment on the table, i'm going to agree with ken shinoda.

also, mmm's.

this seems like a joke but, im going to strongly disagree with the above statement. this would mean that burberry, viktor & rolf, etc. and every other trench coat with a belt fits poorly.

imo trench coats without belts look too much like lighter versions of peacoats and seem to lack form to an extent (appear a bit like long boxes).

burberry trenches can be had on sale for about $700. they also offer a good amount of accessories like linning for winter and collar linners for their trenches. another option is burberry's made to measure program, but that's if you have a couple of grand sitting around.

Burberry's fit like trash bags unless you buy Prorsum

^Truth. I remember trying on a normal burberry trench and not being impressed with the fit.

That Beautiful Ones trench looks pretty solid. I remember hearing/reading about the name elsewhere but never actually looked into them. I'm definitely interested in where this thread is heading.

Robert Geller had that Prussian Coat fall 07 and i think maybe even a version in spring that fits in this category. There was one hanging around in the supermarket for a steal price for awhile.

The RG prussian coat, like chronoaug mentioned, is perfect for a modern trench, so long as you don't mind black over the more traditional khaki/brown/navy. Trust, it doesn't come off as goth -- more moody Eastern-European. If you can find it, pick it up. I never wear it with the faux-fur, always with the collar turned. It's better with a cigarette.

And a trenchcoat needs a belt. Cinch the waist or tie it up and let it hang in back.

The RG coat came in khaki as well. Someone had in on supermarket and it looked sex.

I tried on a Prorsum trench last week and it was soooo nice but the price was way out of my comfort zone. I'm going to try the regular Burberry one too but I assume I'll be disappointed.

I want the whole steez... belt, epaulettes, double breasted, ending slightly above or at the knee.

I already have a Henrik Vibskov trench but I'm looking for something more "mature".

edit: if you buy a trench from yoox you're pretty much guaranteed to have it not fit perfectly, no matter the brand, and for $1000 it should probably fit perfectly.

I tried on a Prorsum trench last week and it was soooo nice but the price was way out of my comfort zone. I'm going to try the regular Burberry one too but I assume I'll be disappointed.

I want the whole steez... belt, epaulettes, double breasted, ending slightly above or at the knee.

I already have a Henrik Vibskov trench but I'm looking for something more "mature".

edit: if you buy a trench from yoox you're pretty much guaranteed to have it not fit perfectly, no matter the brand, and for $1000 it should probably fit perfectly.

What was the difference in price of the Prorsum and the regular? If its small, fuck it...Money comes and goes, get what you want and like!

my friend worked at burberry and got herself a women's trench.

i tried it on and fit was unbelieveable, esp. for some of you skinnier mofos.

the best part is, you can button it the other way like a man's trench, so noone will know the diff. ive been eyeing them on ebay.

otherwise, if you're a solid 38/39 like myself, try the new banana republic one.

for $200, the S fit me pretty well. and i see it for like $100 on ebay every once in a while.