Places of Higher Learning

Miyavi

How selective was the process when you applied? Did you have a higher GPA than my sperm count, or were your essays Nobel Prize worthy? I applied Early Decision, and I could use some moral support. :\

It was probably just as selective when I applied as it is now, though I think now that they take the common app a lot more people are applying.

Well, my HS gpa was 4.0 unweighted and something like 4.8 with the wonky system my HS used; I didn't have outstanding test scores either like mid 700s on the SATs and chemistry, bio and math subject tests. I would say that my admissions essays were pretty good, just the general bullshit about urban campus, meeting diverse people, liberal education...etc.

It's good you applied ED since they accept much more from that pool that the normal admissions, plus you get two shots at it if you don't make it the first time.

It was probably just as selective when I applied as it is now, though I think now that they take the common app a lot more people are applying.

Well, my HS gpa was 4.0 unweighted and something like 4.8 with the wonky system my HS used; I didn't have outstanding test scores either like mid 700s on the SATs and chemistry, bio and math subject tests. I would say that my admissions essays were pretty good, just the general bullshit about urban campus, meeting diverse people, liberal education...etc.

It's good you applied ED since they accept much more from that pool that the normal admissions, plus you get two shots at it if you don't make it the first time.

Did they request an interview with you? I got an email from an alum today saying she wants to meet up with me. >< My valedictorian friend applied ED too and she didn't get one. Is this a bad thing, like they need an interview to see if they want me at their school? I'm nervous like hell.

interviews aren't deal makers or deal breakers half of the time. Usually, its kind of a check to see that you aren't socially inept and that you are a balanced individual. I had one for columbia, and it was basically a Q&A type of deal. It was nothing like a "tell me about yourself!" meeting. just don't be nervous and sound interested.

Playing baseball at Swarthmore College (third best Liberal Arts school according to US News) next year! Turned down U of Chi, Johns Hopkins, and Pomona.

swarthmore over u of chi? wow.

Anyone write the Oct ACT and get a score back?

Guidance counselors told our class that Canadian students tend to do better on the ACT than the SAT so I gave it a shot. Went in cold but my equivalent score is like 100 points higher and now competitive for the schools I'm applying to.

pretty good day.

Anyone write the Oct ACT and get a score back?

Guidance counselors told our class that Canadian students tend to do better on the ACT than the SAT so I gave it a shot. Went in cold but my equivalent score is like 100 points higher and now competitive for the schools I'm applying to.

pretty good day.

got my scores (w/ writing) today

Don't let GPA or a low test score discourage you from applying to schools. As long as one part of your app stands out then you'll have a shot. I had a 3.0 cumulative but got into a top 25 because of my test scores. I remember stressing HARD about this (if I didn't get in it would've probably been CC for me) senior year but just study your ass off for the SAT's if you're gpa sucks.

Don't let GPA or a low test score discourage you from applying to schools. As long as one part of your app stands out then you'll have a shot. I had a 3.0 cumulative but got into a top 25 because of my test scores. I remember stressing HARD about this (if I didn't get in it would've probably been CC for me) senior year but just study your ass off for the SAT's if you're gpa sucks.

actually i think it's the opposite way, and you're an anomaly.

my guidance counselour said i could be absolutely fucked for my colleges because i have a 2240 and high 700's on my subject tests, but i have a 3.73 cummulative

It's something about how your GPA shows how much of a hard worker you are, and tests show your intelligence. They don't want a lazy ass bum at their school I guess.

some colleges are willing to take really motivated dumbasses or smart bums.

Not sayin' i'm smart; I ate, slept and shit prep books the week leading up to the test. Point is, just make sure one part of your app stands out.

can anybody give me some input about the quality of the economics department od the university of wisconsin, madison? i am a graduate student at a german university and contemplating pursuing an academic career. i have the possibility to go there for a year. i am freed of any tuition fees whatsoever. even if its not the premium university, its probably still lengths better than here where some class sizes are in the range of several hundred people. also, how is the town / area? ive never been to the us.

some colleges are willing to take really motivated dumbasses or smart bums.

Not sayin' i'm smart; I ate, slept and shit prep books the week leading up to the test. Point is, just make sure one part of your app stands out.

agree. make sure something sets you apart. be confident but humble, you're in highschool, you really don't know jack shit about anything