wallabees... worn out vs. fresh

showbiz00ditc

the thing I love about walaabees or Clarks if u wish... is that you can rock them formal and casual. There reach in my wardrobe is least confined of all my shoes. And in this respect they must stay fresh! .....unless your dressing them down (which is more than exceptable) they gotta look sharp. The two cats that i have personally seen rock the walabees in the best way are:

1) my buddy from bahamas who i would describe as classy yet chillin

2) an old man of whom just looking at him u knew he was the best dressed in his day

-------both these ppl kept there wallies brushed and sharp

finally. i believe these shoes go for two rounds--- one as a Fresh/ sharp lookking shoe and the other - a comfy, slipperesk, walk around and do what ev in (ex. back yard BBQin , portch monckyin)

Argh! Looking at reviews on Zappos, I see some people say they're small, some say they're true to size, and some say they're big! I'm fairly sure that they're talking about the China-made ones, though, so are the Padmore ones true to size? I'd really hate to get the wrong size...

Quote: Hey anyone know if the official Padmore & Barnes site is updated or not? http://www.padmore-barnes.com/ It says the online store will be up soon, but I think it hasn't been updated in a while. Any ideas?

that thing is hardcore outta date considering they're no longer in business, but it's sick that it's still up anyway... you can try emailing them to see if they've got any more bits in your size left in their warehouse...i was able to do that w/a couple pairs of wallabees and a couple pairs of wallabee weavers. tough to get a reply back from them but worth a try. expect to pay full retail in euro's (between 100 and 125 dollars). in fact here's some direct email addresses:

[email protected]

[email protected]

Edited by rhythmandsound on Oct 25, 2005 at 07:22 PM

Quote:

1) Is there any difference between Clark and P&G Wallabees other than price?

2) I wear a size 8.5 New Balance; would 8.5 P&G's be about right?

--- Original message by Ziddy on Oct 25, 2005 02:10 PM

1) P&B made Wallabees in their factory in Ireland for Clarks for decades until Clarks moved production to Asia around 2001. P&B also released Wallabees under their own name, as well as their other self-owned brand Erlandia. While they were in business P&B also made various styles of Wallabees for labels such as Supreme, Paul Smith, United Arrows, etc... The P&B Wallabees had different characteristics than current Wallabees: firmer crepe sole, non-removable leather insole, firmer overall feel and construction and more refined, classic-shoe-style construction and stitching, as well as snugger fit thru the toebox. Current Wallabees are kinda like mushy blobs compared to the irish ones. Also the price was/is about the same...at or above $100 for new pairs.

2) no idea how NB's fit, but if you generally wear a certain size in athletic shoes (i.e. 8.5 in most sneakers), then an 8.5 in US-sized P&B's (which is what the ebay ones are) should work well. I normally wear a 10.5 in most shoes, and I can actually wear a 10, 10.5 or 11 in P&B wallabees...the suede ones can stretch a bit if needed as well.

Quote: -------both these ppl kept there wallies brushed and sharp

finally. i believe these shoes go for two rounds--- one as a Fresh/ sharp lookking shoe and the other - a comfy, slipperesk, walk around and do what ev in (ex. back yard BBQin , portch monckyin)

I gotta agree Lockhart. i typically wear leather ones with chinos to work and wear suede ones w/jeans. hit the leather ones w/polish if they start getting too roughed up and keep the suede tidy w/a suede brush and block. there's a point at which, esp w/the soles, you just gotta let them take their own natural course. and this is when they become great for just kicking it in.

Quote:

Argh! Looking at reviews on Zappos, I see some people say they're small, some say they're true to size, and some say they're big! I'm fairly sure that they're talking about the China-made ones, though, so are the Padmore ones true to size? I'd really hate to get the wrong size...

--- Original message by Ziddy on Oct 25, 2005 05:55 PM

yeah the ones on Zappos are China-made, and imo those usually run quite big. If you hit the P&B's on ebay I'd go with whatever your typical sneaker size is.

Quote:

champagne_bubblebath;

What are those two Clarks you posted?

--- Original message by meditation on Oct 25, 2005 06:29 PM

The black ones are actually from a pic of some that i sold on ebay a while back: they're the p500 plain-toe wallabees. P&B also did this style for Supreme back in 2000/2001.

The lower ones are the one-piece side-lace wallabees, aka 'luggers.' the china ones have leather mocassin-style laces, and the irish ones have normal laces.

if you've not already, check this post for more pics and info re: P&B/Clarks:

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=1104

Quote:
Quote: -------both these ppl kept there wallies brushed and sharp

I gotta agree Lockhart. i typically wear leather ones with chinos to work and wear suede ones w/jeans. hit the leather ones w/polish if they start getting too roughed up and keep the suede tidy w/a suede brush and block. there's a point at which, esp w/the soles, you just gotta let them take their own natural course. and this is when they become great for just kicking it in.

--- Original message by rhythmandsound on Oct 25, 2005 07:36 PM

yea i definately love just chillin with wallies and no socks. just chillin out on the porch drinking beers or whatever. a good slipon shoe for a quick drive to the corner store or whatever.

• 2 years later...

if what r&s says is true, then the wallies i was rockin' 10 years ago must have been p&b's, but i didn't know back then, because they just said clarks on the insole. but the weavers i bought like in '98 had a much softer sole, which i enjoyed as something novel. i thought the whole shoe was meant to be more comfy. somehow i feel better knowing i actually had some p&b's. its funny how my steez is to rock them with the utmost attention to keeping them fresh, until they get a bit worn, and then its whatever. i like them new and beat.