Suggestions for Supermarket Rule Changes

jimmyc

Ok lets here 'em.

Bumping threads repeatedly is being enforced as well as aimless chatter in new post that is really just and excuse to bump threads to the top.

I'm concerned about members who join only to sell here and offer nothing more to the forum. I'm also sick of seeing members who ignore all rules, are generally a pain in the ass to other forum members but still have about 10 open threads in the supermarket.

So what's your beef.

imo it works just fine

but if you wanna tweak...

-2 month of seniority here to be able to sell, seems reasonable

-4 thread max per person, ppl can merge if they can't do otherwise

-warn people with pictures over 1000pix wide (rather okay under that limit)

as a 1.5yo supermarket lurker, still, that's all that came up

as far as the chat bump is concerned, you can't really do anything about that. too much hassle to control, and not a serious threat over supermarket, imho. as long as the 24h/bump is respected...

this rule is bullshit. because what we need to address first is a maximum to the number of threads someone can make. anyone looking at supermarket is not going to take it seriously when they see half a page filled by massi, cmirsky, etc. so fix that and maybe people will actually listen to this rule and others

I second this, it seems like people are constantly making new revamped topics with mostly the same pieces. Since you can edit a thread title and its tags there is no reason for this to be allowed.

I think a max of three threads would be appropriate, this would make sense if you were selling a variety of shirts/pants/shoes and made a topic for each individually. It would also be helpful if you could delete or close your sale threads.

And finally, someone brought this up once, but I forget who and when but I think it would be cool if there was a mega thread that served as a trading post. It would be a topic for stuff that you wouldn't bother to sell, but someone might want to trade you a different garment for it.

I understand the stickies are a necessary, but they should only display on the first page. I'm sure they can be set so they don't show up on every page - this forum moves fast and only 20 viewable threads per page makes keeping up with it a chore.

Alternately, maybe the forum could be changed to display more threads per page?

I saw your other thread Jimmy...I had a question. Why specifically 630pixels?

because if you keep your pics no larger than 630 pixels then it wont cause the thread to expand to accommodate them. a 1200 pixel width pic not only expands the thread to hold that one picture it also expands ever other post before and after and you find you have to scroll left to right to read them.

It's just a courteous thing to do, not just in the supermarket, but every forum.

Again, It's only a request and I'm sure it will be ignored.

Oh ok, I didn't realize the forum was normally set at 630.

I don't think the trading post megathread thing would work out well. In theory yes, but I think irl, it'd just be a big mess and hard to keep track of things. No better than just putting it in your signature I'd say. Maybe if we could check a box during searches to look in sigs?

shouldn't this be in superofficial?

I find the way it is right now is fine.. Stickys only on the first page sounds good. But as far as subgroups and sections go, it will only make things more complicted. Say i have a whole bunch of things to sell, i don't want to break everything up into multiple threads in different places, might make it hard to keep track of.

With the picture sizes.. I think that is the sellers choice, which ever way he/she chooses to sell the item is up to them. If it sells it sells. If it doesn't they can change it.

But.. Why fix somethin' that ain't broke?

yea. for the most part, supermarket is ok. what we need to focus on is people getting ripped off. because getting ripped off is not cool. not cool at all.

I know I've been guilty myself of bumping sales threads multiple times, but the forum does move fast. I am in agreement with keeping the stickies to the first page.

Another suggestion is possibly allowing supermarket thread creators to change the title of their sales thread. I think this will let a person keep the same thread, and keep updating them with whatever items they have to sell. It'll also cut down on the clutter of opening multiple threads to sell. However, I dunno if this maybe to technical of a probability in happening.

i hate to burst everyone's bubble but in the near future, there won't even be a supermarket for you to gripe about, because it will be ten times better and have a totally different name.... sharp-eyed forum addicts may have an idea of what that might be... a lot of your concerns about supermarket won't even matter/have already been taken into account... stay tuned!

• 3 weeks later...
i hate to burst everyone's bubble but in the near future, there won't even be a supermarket for you to gripe about, because it will be ten times better and have a totally different name.... sharp-eyed forum addicts may have an idea of what that might be... a lot of your concerns about supermarket won't even matter/have already been taken into account... stay tuned!

Ahh I thought this was all but a forgotten idea... i look forward to this. Any idea when it is going to happen?

Another suggestion is possibly allowing supermarket thread creators to change the title of their sales thread. I think this will let a person keep the same thread, and keep updating them with whatever items they have to sell. It'll also cut down on the clutter of opening multiple threads to sell.

Yeah. If we can edit our titles to show items have been added/changed/updated etc that would be great.

In addition, it would be great to be able to delete the threads once all items have been posted. I don't know how many times I've gotten PMs from people asking if I still have items from listings a year ago, even though I've edited the original post to reflect that items have been sold.

• 3 weeks later...