What albums of the 2000s will be considered classics in 10 years?

ok and I'm sure this told you: Ok, I'm not longer aloud to like Kanye and Magnum because Pitchfork likes them. It seems you are influenced by Pitchfork just as much as me. and oh, i like the I was on the I hate Pitchfork band-wangon, before you ever listened to music attitude. Pitchfork isn't a trend, but people professing their hate for it is.

Ok, shit I am going to stop now because this isn't going to go anywhere. music is about having fun, sorry for bitching @ you guys.

yeah, animal collective is loads of fun.

btw, if your name and avatar are going to dick slob a certain band, at least know to spell the lead singer's/brainpiece's last name, you poser twit. it's MANGUM. shit, learn to spell in general. allowed? jesus

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hating pitchfork has been around since about two years after pitchfork started. for all the reasons people have stated, and for people like you that blithely defend it without understanding a. music b. the industry c. history.

-----

californication was released in 1999, by the way, for everyone talking RHCP business.

and yeah, i can see that standing the test of time. but if we're going to include 1999 albums, another MAINSTREAM OMG WTF record that is probably going to get a healthy re-evaluation is OMFG ARE U FOR REALZ Korn's Issues. if anyone remembers the amount of airplay all the singles off of that record got and how for about six months after its release all everyone from hardcore fans to TRL watching teenie-titty-boppers would talk about was "FALLING AWAY FROM ME, FALL-ING A-WAY FROM ME!" then you know what's good.

yo follow the leader shits on korn issues tho word to jesus

Okay you are going to hate me for this. I still think this attitude is of the person who used to like Pitchfork, but then when it became an indie staple and everyone discoverred it went OMGZ HOW CAN I BE INDIE NOW??? I KNOW! LETS ALL PRETEND TO HATE PITCHFORK AND TELL EVERYONE THAT THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND US UBER-INDIE PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW ANY MUSIC, HISTORY AND INDUSTRY.

well cult can speak for himself but it might merit consideration that there may be people out there who their own reasons for disliking the site, its content or its devoted readership other than the kind of knee-jerk "you sold out" hipsterisms espoused above that pretty much define the limited worldview that can make the site's content so uninteresting.

well cult can speak for himself but it might merit consideration that there may be people out there who their own reasons for disliking the site, its content or its devoted readership other than the kind of knee-jerk "you sold out" hipsterisms espoused above that pretty much define the limited worldview that can make the site's content so uninteresting.

I understand this, Pitchfork can be dicks, i just agree with them most of the time. just take into consideration the same that there are people who like this site not just because of those "you sold out attitudes", they might just just genuinly agree with their taste.

ill list some albums that i think will be remembered and stand the test of time. I dont think albums that never came close to selling platinum in this day and age will remain relevant or memorable to most people simply because of the massive amount of music coming out, bands and artists slip through the cracks and rarely survive more than a couple flop records

QOTSA - songs for the deaf

n.e.r.d - in search of

Coldplay - Rush of Blood to the Head

Eminem- Marshall Mathers LP

The Strokes - Is This It

White Stripes - Elephant

Daft Punk - Discovery

Kanye West - College Dropout (spawned alot of the lupes, wales, and pharrell (rap mode) type dudes now)

Jay-Z - Black Album , Blueprint

50 cent - get rich or die trying . hate it or love it. In Da Club will be played forever

pretty much all of radioheads albums. (their following is one of the most loyal)

The Libertines - self-titled

on interpol

my thing is, i totally find antics to be way more stupefyingly boring because as songwriters, interpol are super-limited in scope. antics lacks the obvious hunger and intensity of their first record, which makes up for a lot of its faults. like retarded lyrics. also, take you on a cruise muahahahahhaaaaa. ahem. also, i love the chameleons.

just wanted to say that.

on bjork

i once beat off to the pagan poetry video. no joke. and that was after i met bjork in person. the story is somewhere on here, but anyway, she was pushing a baby carraige filled with books down lafayette street. it was amazing.

on joanna newsom

she performed live at the presentation for built by wendy's s/s08 collection or something like that and i swear to god, she is not as fuckable as you might think.

on chan marshall

feist is one ugly fucking slag. and who's acting like jersey shore cougar is a bad thing? i would floss with her goochyhairs.

on this silly dude that needs to bow down

that might be the attitude of some folks, but you're talking to a guy whose second suggestion for a classic is an unabashedly mainstream record by a band that many people, indie or not, would probably love to forget. also, don't be a fucking john mccain-- if you say you dont know that much about music, take your fucking lumps when someone who does know music speaks to you.

on chan marshall

i would floss with her goochyhairs.

that might be the attitude of some folks, but you're talking to a guy whose second suggestion for a classic is an unabashedly mainstream record by a band that many people, indie or not, would probably love to forge.

chan - awwwwww hell yeah

silly dude - which record is this?

Guest jmatsu
on interpol

my thing is, i totally find antics to be way more stupefyingly boring because as songwriters, interpol are super-limited in scope. antics lacks the obvious hunger and intensity of their first record, which makes up for a lot of its faults. like retarded lyrics. also, take you on a cruise muahahahahhaaaaa. ahem. also, i love the chameleons.

just wanted to say that.

on bjork

i once beat off to the pagan poetry video. no joke. and that was after i met bjork in person. the story is somewhere on here, but anyway, she was pushing a baby carraige filled with books down lafayette street. it was amazing.

on joanna newsom

she performed live at the presentation for built by wendy's s/s08 collection or something like that and i swear to god, she is not as fuckable as you might think.

on chan marshall

feist is one ugly fucking slag. and who's acting like jersey shore cougar is a bad thing? i would floss with her goochyhairs.

that might be the attitude of some folks, but you're talking to a guy whose second suggestion for a classic is an unabashedly mainstream record by a band that many people, indie or not, would probably love to forget. also, don't be a fucking john mccain-- if you say you dont know that much about music, take your fucking lumps when someone who does know music speaks to you.

why you gotta b so funny?

yo wierd records NYC. only shit i listen 2 now. considered classics within elite circles. i know you dig. please introduce me!

lol this thread is funny...

someone recently said that sufuers are just slightly ahead-of-the-curve hipsters...god damn that shit is some real real real talk. i know pitchfork is generally loved by lower level hipsters and hated by higher level hipsters, but i mean fuck it you gettin a lot of your music info through SOME kind of publication so why you mad cause your friends and your little sister caught on to a specific one? shiiiiiiiiiiit.

i think love angel music baby will be a classic. cmon dont lie that hollaback girl beat is bananas and you wish you made it and rapped over it.

arular was tight and had some great songs but kala seemed more focused especially on that third world tip.

Yeah but i don't really care about focused when i'm listening to m.i.a. and i'm humping a 17 year old, fucked on blow and dark is taking pictures. Arular is much better for that.

shit.... this is a pretty good idea for a thread but sadly very few people in it are informed..

anyway, is a decade really enough time to have an album become a "classic"?

most of the artists you all put in here haven't even been around for a decade.

when I think of a classic album, I think of something that people will still listen to and love today, despite the album being released for a different generation.

for example, you'll see hundreds of kids everyday walking around with a Led Zeppelin Stairway to Heaven t-shirt, which I believe to be a classic album, even though I hate Led Zeppelin and that album. It has stood the test of time, and is "so good", even a new generation can pick it up and dig it.

oh well, pardon me if this seems like just arguing semantics, but I don't think that any of the albums mentioned in here are worthy of a title past "instant-classic".

you know why you didnt hate that album? because, for better or worse, those dudes have some insanely good songwriting chops. their follow-up was way bloated and grandiose but still has some decent songs under all the overblown pomp...

also, their first record has a few good chunes. but three cheers is a really fucking solid rock record. i will fight anyone on this and win.

^^ but back then it didnt matter if shit stayed stale or was an instant classic...music, how it was listened, how it was distributed, etc flowed so differently that an obviously shitty record couldve turned into an instant classic...lets be real, a lot of classic/staple bands as we know it have put out shitty albums or flat out suck as a band, but they simply stood the test of time(which wasnt hard to do back when innovation was so easy to come by)...everythings been done and everythings been heard...thats word.

My list would probably look something like the state's or shoreman's, but my knowledge of 2000s bands is severely lacking, ie, I don't even recognize any of the groups bonjin named. Def will check them out.

As far as timeless or having any significance 30 years down the road, I'd probably vote for Kid A or YHFT.

Has anyone mentioned magnetic fields I?

whatever, I don't even have use a portable music device so what the fuck do I know.