What albums of the 2000s will be considered classics in 10 years?

00'

Radiohead- Kid A

The Avalanches- Since I left You

Modest Mouse- The Moon & Antartica

Outkast - Stankonia

Godspeed You! Black Emperor- Lift Yr Skinny Fists Like Atenas To The Heavens

01'

The White Stripes- White Blood Cells

Jay-Z- The Blueprint

The Microphones- The Glow Pt. 2

02'

Interpol- Turn On The Bright Lights

Wilco- Yankee Foxtrot Hotel

Spoon- Kill The Moonlight

The Streets Original Pirate Material

'03

The Books- The Lemon of Pink

The Notwist- Neon Golden

Dizee Rascal- Boy In Da Corner

04'

Animal Collective- Sung Tongs

Madvillain- Madvillainy

Davendra Barnheart- Rejoicing In The Hands

05'

Sufjan Stevens- Illonois

Kanye West- Late Registrarion

Art Brut- Bang, Bang Rock & Roll

06'

The Knife- Silent Shout

Joanna Newsom- YS

Ghostface Killah- Fishscale

TV On The Radio- Return To Cookie Mountain

07'

Panda Bear- Person Pitch

M.I.A.- Kalla

LCD Soundsystem- Sound Of Silver

ok im done those are the ones i think will endure the times :)

what did you do go to pitchfork and pick their top 5 records each year? pshhhh

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many albums will become cult or niche classics, but I think these will become bona fide classics:

The Strokes,
Is This It

Radiohead,
Kid A

Green Day,
American Idiot

M.I.A.,
Kala

OutKast,
Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

nail hit directly on the head. i hated that green day album but kids will grow up thinking it's sliced bread v 2.0

even after all the hype i still think that album is underrated (the UK version). fuck, it should have sold like 2-3 million copies and had much bigger singles.

Truth. Is This It is so good that it sounds like a greatest-hits collection rather than a debut album.

I can only image that if its niche/underground and not that well received now that it probably wont be THAT celebrated with kids 10 years from now.

Not saying these are my favorite albums ever, but the kids in the future will call these classics.

Blueprint

Speakerboxx/Love Below

Get Rich or Die Tryin'

Graduation

Demon Days

American Idiot

Be

what did you do go to pitchfork and pick their top 5 records each year? pshhhh

ok guys, mabye I read a little Pitchfork. Lets just say if it weren't for them i wouldn't know shit about music. Is agreeing with a review site a crime? better than being like my lame freinds and listening to Red Hot Chili Peppers.

better than being like my lame freinds and listening to Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Oh fuck off. People will be listening to Californication long after everyone has forgotten who the fuck Jeff Magnum was.

I may not agree with that, but I wouldn't get condescending about it.

Oh fuck off. People will be listening to Californication long after everyone has forgotten who the fuck Jeff Magnum was.

I may not agree with that, but I wouldn't get condescending about it.

Not to be condescending..... but you know just because people will remember Californiacation deosn't make it good. Jeff Magnum may be forgotten but that doesn't mean that In The Areoplane isn't one of the greatest albums ever, i am sure lots of great music has been forgotten and lots of crappy stuff remebered

it's jeff mangum you weenies

i would say, thus far

the strokes - is this it

the exploding hearts - guitar romantic

justice - cross (i dont like it but this is what pushed electronic back into the forefront)

probably something by radiohead

lil wayne - the carter (2?)

a couple of these are pretty left field but i honestly think that they will withstand the tests of time specifically the hearts, if everyone isn't on guitar romantic in 10 years i will consider my life, and theirs, very differently

so yeah if you havent heard it already download it. then go buy it because its that good, still.

I'd like to point out that I knew it was Mangum and mistyped it. I'm not sure what the excuse is for the guy who has the album as his picture and signature. I'd never type out "Jonathan Rihcman".

I'm not sure about "cross" bucause I'm really not sure how popular it is with people who aren't filthy AA shits. That being said, I'm quite sure Daft Punk will make it through, probably with "Discovery". Everyone from everywhere seems to love that album.

Coldplay will probably squeak an album through. "Rush of Blood to the Head" would be my guess.

Remember that we're only working on a ten year scale here, I mean, we still consider lots of absolute trash from the eighties as classic.

lots of love for Is This It. totally agree too. i remember when it dropped it was totally mind blowing. had it on repeat for an eternity.

how about:

at the drive-in - relationship of command

arcade fire - neon bible

Guy, Arcade Fire will get their classic, but it sure as hell won't be Neon Bible.

Most people don't listen to At the Drive In now, so fuck ten years.

so i liked is this it and i was like damn this is pretty ill...fastforward to recent times and there is this one really fucking annoying chick that plays that album every time i am at her house and she even asked a dj at a party once to "play the strokes"..wtf...and mind you this dj was spinning dub and raggae...wtfffffffffffffffffffff

relationship of command is going to go down as one of those important-for-a-particular-genre records.

lots of people still got love for ATDI.

is this it i fucking hate and always have but, i have to admit it will be remembered for setting way too much of a tone and yeah ok the songs are good. but fuck that shit.

i think asobi seksu will be remembered in the same way as my bloody valentine or slowdive...dunno.

lil wayne will be considered a biggie, tupac...fuck that he is already a living legend.

Asobi Seksu is in that vein for sure...more towards Cocteau Twins imo. Can't wait to see what's next for them.

I second the Black Keys mention, but I've always liked Rubber Factory the best.

Atmosphere -- Lucy Ford

The Hold Steady -- Separation Sunday

co sign on atmosphere

Dunno about Lucy Ford though... t'aint even a proper album. Toss up between God Loves Ugly and Seven's Travels if you ask me.

As to whoever mentioned Outkast, I think Stankonia will go down as their 'classic' record as opposed to the double solo project CD.

so i liked is this it and i was like damn this is pretty ill...fastforward to recent times and there is this one really fucking annoying chick that plays that album every time i am at her house and she even asked a dj at a party once to "play the strokes"..wtf...and mind you this dj was spinning dub and raggae...wtfffffffffffffffffffff

I remember seeing the first single off of that album on the TV and thinking 'this scene won't last more than two years tops'.

How wrong I was.

re-cap of what's been mentioned with my 2 cents. i dont think these are all classics but most likely they'll be remembered as such.

strokes - is this is

interpol - totbl

arcade fire - funeral

wilco - yankee hotel foxtrot

kanye - all dem shits

radiohead - kid a

coldplay - rush of blood

ghostface - supreme clientele

jay-z blueprint

lil wayne - carter 3

50 cent - get rich or die tryin

white stripes - elephant (surprised no one mentioned this yet)

maybe that 1st shins records for whimsical ass motherfuckers

lcd soundsystem - sound of silver

killers 1st records (good god do i hate them but people still love this shit)

madvillainy

justice - ?

m.i.a. - kala

feels like a good makeup of what's been popular this decade.

i cannot stress how much everybody in this thread is overrating is this it. don't get me wrong, it is a personal favourite of mine, but just because they launched a thousand NME covers means diddly fuck in terms of recorded material. the same goes for the libertines. or would you put highly evolved in your lists as well?

and fuck a "well it's crap sure but people are so stupid they'll think it's a classic heh heh" argument, that's like the perfect rebuttal of your original position. ten years from now kids are going to go straight to the velvet underground and the stooges just like how we skipped elastica and went straight for wire. the second round will fall away with time.

ten years from now kids are going to go straight to the velvet underground and the stooges [\quote]

we can only hope so

just listened to some old john cale this morning

Since they're basically my 2 favorite bands of the last 5 years, can someone explain to me how they thing Neon Bible is better than Funeral and Boxer was better than Alligator?