supermeatheads

kunk75

i dont do HIIT anymore. matter of fact i just dont do cardio at all now lol.

I did some HIIT last year when I was trying to cut with my roomate but i just dont have it in me to keep up with it. its too much work for something I can just obtain with a good regulated diet and regular work out.

Arms is all bicep and triceps.

I focus much more on isolation movements (preacher curls, hammer curls, etc) as opposed to my back days, where i usually let my back work outs do alot of the work as well as some basic standing barbell curls.

I try to keep my bicep work outs very focused.

For example, my arms workout will go something like this:

-warmup with some cable curls, i hit sets of 10 and go up in weights by 5 lbs until failure then go back by with sets of 6. This burns your bicep pretty hard by the end of it.

- preacher curls with ezcurl bar or dumbell

- incline curls

- burn off on those bicep curl machine things, light weight, until failure.

then i go onto triceps:

-warmup with some pushdowns

- skullcrushers

- rope pulldowns

- reverse pushdown depending on how my arm feels at this point.

My arm days are pretty open usually...whatever I feel like doing.

Just remember to always keep your arm workouts tight and clean. try not to cheat at all. squeeze each rep!

fuck i want fmbh to be my workout partner.

hahaha, nah. most of this is shit i just pick up cuz I am surrounded by a bunch of nutrition and fitness freaks.

Hailxenu knows a lot of my work out friends.

this guy Danny, my coworker, is like a fucking gorilla and a nutritions guru. guy knows exactly what to do and what to eat. Its good to have him as my work out partner ( hes the dude that got me on my new back routine)

I always do weights and cardio on the same day, though my weight training is very low intensity compared to most of the people here, probably. I don't eat enough to get "big" anyways, so I'm mostly just trying to get my body fat percentage down.

3 day cycle (I realize the groups I'm working are probably not the best together, but it's the routine I'm in right now):

day 1 : chest and abs

day 2 : arms/shoulders/back

day 3 : light leg workout (my legs get quite a bit of work daily because I bike for transportation)

day 4: rest

Cardio follows weights each day. Usually about 30 minutes of intervals with 5-10 minutes of cooldown/warmup.

And I try to keep my caloric intake under 2000, but as clean as possible as to not waste calories.

why no weights and HIIT in same day? too much?

i'd rather go to gym 3 days a week instead of 5.....

If you do HIIT right you're not going to want to do anything but catch your breath, every time I do it I feel a little nauseous until I rest for a little while. To me it's easier to do it in the morning then work out later on in the day.

hmmmm, maybe i'm not going hard enough but I'm def winded for a good 10 minutes. i dont liek running so i jump rope...my HIIT routine the last couple of weeks has been 1 minute jumprope, 1 minute shadow boxing with small weights in my hand.....either for 15 or 20 minutes.....

so i did 20 minutes of this last night and stretched and rested for like 10 minutes and then did some shoulders and tris. i didnt go heavy, i did 3 exercises for each with 3 sets x 10-8 reps.

should i be doing something else with the HIIT?

If you do HIIT right you're not going to want to do anything but catch your breath, every time I do it I feel a little nauseous until I rest for a little while. To me it's easier to do it in the morning then work out later on in the day.

hmmmm, maybe i'm not going hard enough but I'm def winded for a good 10 minutes. i dont liek running so i jump rope...my HIIT routine the last couple of weeks has been 1 minute jumprope, 1 minute shadow boxing with small weights in my hand.....either for 15 or 20 minutes.....

so i did 20 minutes of this last night and stretched and rested for like 10 minutes and then did some shoulders and tris. i didnt go heavy, i did 3 exercises for each with 3 sets x 10-8 reps.

15 minutes of HIIT (if it doesn't include 5-10 minutes of moderate effort as a warmup) shouldn't really be possible. The idea is to be going at literally as full pelt as you can for the sprint sections. Check the link I posted and try that routine, when I was doing it a few years ago it was the fittest i've ever been.

I do 30 seconds of sprinting followed by 30 seconds of jogging 10 times and it has me pretty winded. Make sure you go all out for the 30 seconds of sprinting.

how was bruce lee so strong but not kunk sized

Training for strength rather than size, some athletes just can't afford to be bulky. Most of it was probably his diet. To be honest something like 70% of fitness is your diet.

how was bruce lee so strong but not kunk sized

dude was about 4% body fat when he died

I remember reading some article about how he would eat eggs with the shells (??) and other crazy shit

he worked out every single muscle in the body, fingers and shit included to make himself strong at every point - no weaknesses

like i stated before, most people who I have seen doing HIIT don't do it right. Its good to have a partner when doing HIIT, keep eachother in check. its crazy how much you can push your body when you REALLY want to. truth is, people convince themselves they cant do something just cuz its tiring but you can't let your mind trick you. if you're sprinting and ur struggling, sprint faster

also like i said before, size is not always related to strength.

i just gotta say though, Bruce Lee had lats like nobody's business.

but yeah, when every single muscle of your body is strong, you're alot more stronger in general.

this is why you should squat/deadlift/bench/core training for overall body strength.

Do HIIT properly and you shouldn't be able to do weights properly afterwards. The reverse is also true.

can't agree with this

i've been doing treadmill hiit after lifting every workout and then i play ball for a couple hours

maybe ya'll have some crappy stamina or are doing a lot more than me

can't agree with this

i've been doing treadmill hiit after lifting every workout and then i play ball for a couple hours

maybe ya'll have some crappy stamina or are doing a lot more than me

just out of curiosity...why hiit after lifting? your muscles are already burnt out as it is. you're risking catabolic state if you're hitting your HIIT hard and lifting hard.

maybe i have bad stamina but after a heavy lift, my body is completely drained...HIIT is the last thing my body needs. needs food!

wow i just reread this...

you lift...then hiit...and then play bbal for a couple hours?

are you superhuman or something?

you're either not lifting hard enough, not sprinting hard enough or something.

after a good work out, my muscles are so dead that I can barely get the strength to shoot a three.

re: Bruce Lee

Strength is a combination of 3 things:

- muscle mass, having the muscle fibers

- central nervous system, getting the most out of those muscle fibers

- technique, using the right muscle fibers at the right times

Bruce Lee could punch through a concrete wall because he combined all 3 so well.

The same thing can be seen in professional athletes. They're not big but they are able to put out a great amount of energy at the right time and in the right direction. Ronnie Coleman could crumple Jan Zelesny like a paper bag but he could never chuck a javelin like him.

wow i just reread this...

you lift...then hiit...and then play bbal for a couple hours?

are you superhuman or something?

you're either not lifting hard enough, not sprinting hard enough or something.

after a good work out, my muscles are so dead that I can barely get the strength to shoot a three.

same here

i airball my first couple shots but eventually i'm adjusted

i don't know what kinda workouts you're doing but most NBA workouts consist of work like this but probably harder

my lifting takes around an hour and a half and I treadmill hiit for 20 minutes

yeah, sorry, but you really aren't doing it right if you can do those other things.

i dont think you can make a blanket statement liek that

not saying i could do that but people have different levels of conditioning and stamina

20 minutes of high intensity training may seem like nothing to someone thats been doing it a while.......

i guess it's because I train as an athlete and most of yall train as bodybuilders

cos even after my 20 minute hiit i rest for a good 5-10 minutes and i play ball, i've been athletic my whole life

during the summer i used to play ball from 8 in the morning to 9 at night, i'm sure i just got way better conditioning than ya'll

i understand that but your body can adjust and even if you push it, your recovery time for someone who has been doing it for sometime is likely quicker

you telling me someone that trains all day long (professional or someone really serious) is done for the day after a 20 minute HIIT session?

i understand that but your body can adjust and even if you push it, your recovery time for someone who has been doing it for sometime is likely quicker

you telling me someone that trains all day long (professional or someone really serious) is done for the day after a 20 minute HIIT session?

This is pretty much undeniable, I would think.

For someone who is extremely well conditioned, there is probably nothing they could possibly do in a 20 minute period that would put them down for the rest of the day.

I've always wondered how doing a slightly more relaxed workout but doing lifting/cardio like...6 days a week, both every day, compares to lifting 3 times a week and doing cardio 2/3 times a week intensely. I'm guessing that people generally consider it best to do the latter, but I've always found it more pleasant to do the former. Maybe just because I like doing cardio so much.

Is anyone in this thread a professional athelete? I don't deny a pro athelete can do this but I don't think that's what we're talking about here. Pro atheletes have genetics on their side, not to mention the time/money to be able to train hard for a few hours a day then rest fully for as long as they need to. They'll have tricks like alternating hot/cold baths, massages and often will be taking performance enhancing drugs.

Under those circumstances, sure, you can do HIIT and also lift weights and play a game of basketball. For anyone else, that's going to be too much if they're done at the intensity they require.