supermeatheads

kunk75

Bumpity bump.

Have to get protein powder...rec's? Also, when to drink?

Best price I have found seems to be Costco or Sam's Club...6lbs for $36. Prices have gone up again..this stuff used to be $29.99.

As far as when to drink..it's really not rocket science. I for sure like to drink a shake before and one after working out. Usually do 2 scoops in each one, so about 46g of protein in each + w/e is in the milk.

I used to drink them when I am running late/don't have food ready to go as well. I used to average 3-4 a day

just found this thread: I'm 5 11 1/2" and 205 lb's. I wear a 35 waist but that doesn't mean that much. I was 185 of pure muscle (very low bf, 6-8%) in High school, beginning of college, then went up to 225 pure muscle (same deal) theeeeeeen literally gained 40 pounds of fat, then lost 65 pounds of fat/muscle in the past two years. I basically just bike to and from work, about 17 miles altogether, and do alot of pullups, pushups, dips, and bench. I'm always too broke to really commit myself to a diet and I drink, so I kinda feel like it defeats the purpose. I want to get down to 190 and increase my strength, I can bench around 280 now and do multiple sets of 15 pullups. any suggestions?

Yeah that's right. I usually eat cottage cheese as my last meal of the day because of the casein protein. For my shakes i use whey.

Probs a good idea to not rely solely on supplements, but I fucking hate cottage cheese and you have to a cup of it (gross) to get the same amount of protein. Maybe I'll try mixing it up...:rolleyes:

Bumpity bump.

Have to get protein powder...rec's? Also, when to drink?

To me, the best to get is Optimum Nutrition (I like chocolate mint. tastes decent + standard bit of chalkiness). It has Isolates in it, which is good, and 24g per serving. here are the macros:

1 scoop (30.4g)

120 cals (15 fat)

1.5g fat (1g sat)

30mg chol

80mg soldium

3g carb (1g sugar)

24g protein

it also has some aminos like glutamine in it.

Isopure is also a good protein. each pack is 50g of protein isolates (quite expensive). the downside is that it's more or less disgusting and the whole $$ part.

I'd say to buy your protein from supplementwholesalers.com. The 5.15lb jug of ON that i have is like $30 or so on there

Edit: When to drink

I eat breakfast at 6, so i have shakes at 9 and 3 (w/ meals at 12 and 6). W/ the shakes, i'll have something like an orange/apple and fat free yogurt at 9am and peanut butter sandwich on wheat bread at 3. makes for a good amt of protein in a small meal

started working out again for the first time in seven months.

currently a skinny bitch. used to be big(ger).

currently 5'9 @ 130 lbs. goal is to put on fifteen pounds of pure muscle by the end of december.

current pictures:

ref-1.jpg

ref2-1.jpg

i guess i'll post "after" pictures whenever it is i hit my goal.

kunk75: i'm looking at getting some isoflex whey protein isolate and take that shit while on a strictly power lifting regimen. i want to see results fast, but i can't be assed to cook my own meals since i'm up on campus four days a week (without a kitchen) so i'll be on a diet of shitty cafeteria food. what do you think? also, is cardio something that will stop me from seeing quicker gains when all i want is mass?

started working out again for the first time in seven months.

currently a skinny bitch. used to be big(ger).

currently 5'9 @ 130 lbs. goal is to put on fifteen pounds of pure muscle by the end of december.

current pictures:

ref-1.jpg

ref2-1.jpg

i guess i'll post "after" pictures whenever it is i hit my goal.

kunk75: i'm looking at getting some isoflex whey protein isolate and take that shit while on a strictly power lifting regimen. i want to see results fast, but i can't be assed to cook my own meals since i'm up on campus four days a week (without a kitchen) so i'll be on a diet of shitty cafeteria food. what do you think? also, is cardio something that will stop me from seeing quicker gains when all i want is mass?

let me answer one of the questions directed towards kunk (I'm pretty sure he'll agree with me).

"i'm looking at getting some isoflex whey protein isolate and take that shit while on a strictly power lifting regimen. i want to see results fast, but i can't be assed to cook my own meals since i'm up on campus four days a week (without a kitchen) so i'll be on a diet of shitty cafeteria food. what do you think?"

shitty diet = shitty results

and sorry to burst your bubble, but you might want to read this

How Much Muscle Can We Really Build?

The origin of the problem lies in the belief that our bodies can build a lot of muscle fast. Simply put, the average trainee has unrealistic expectations when it comes to building muscle.

I can't state a precise number, but the average gym rat (especially the younger members of said group) believe that gaining twenty pounds of muscle in three months is ''normal." In fact, I've seen many young lifting aficionados complaining about only gaining ten pounds in two months of training! I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your body (if you aren't using growth-enhancing drugs) can't build that much muscle that fast... not even close.

Normally I don't have any problems with people who have high expectations. However, in that particular case, the belief that it's possible to grow that fast can often lead to erroneous dietary approaches or even drug use (both out of frustration from not gaining twenty pounds in two or three months of training). So I'm here to set things straight. Many of you won't like what I'm about to say, but it's the truth.

Under the best possible circumstances (perfect diet, training, supplementation, and recovery strategies) the average male body can manufacture between 0.25 and 0.5 pounds of dry muscle tissue per week. That is the amount your natural body chemistry will allow you to build. So we're talking about around one or two pounds per month. It may not sound like much, but that can add up to twelve to twenty pounds over one year of training.

Understand that it's possible to gain more weight without adding fat because when you increase your muscle size you also increase glycogen and water storage in those muscles. More muscle equals more glycogen.

A trained individual can store up to 40g of glycogen per 100g of muscle tissue. So if you're gaining ten pounds of new muscle (4545g) you'll also increase glycogen storage by around four pounds (1.8kg). So if you gain ten pounds of muscle, your scale gain will actually be closer to fourteen pounds (if you didn't gain any fat).

Chances are if you're gaining more than three pounds per month, you're gaining some fat.

He will have noob gains out the ass tho, keep that in mind..

true on the noob gains. but honestly, 10 pounds of pure muscle is still on the high end by december.

5x5 routine is a great suggestion. might I throw out westside barbells for after the 5x5 routine.. might be a good thing to build up to since it's not really the right routine for novice level lifters

oh MAN i wish i could down cottage cheese,

i have probably bought 5 containers of it in the past couple years and never eaten more than a spoonful of it.. and itd be the best thign to eat at night

if you're looking for a slow-digesting protein source for bedtime and you hate cottage cheese (or lactose-intolerant, like me), you can always turn to micellar casien or calcium casienate

i have probably bought 5 containers of it in the past couple years and never eaten more than a spoonful of it.. and itd be the best thign to eat at night

I'm trying 1/2 cup of cottage cheese mixed with a (small) container of yogurt...seems to be a bit better. Still gross texture, but flavour improved.

true on the noob gains. but honestly, 10 pounds of pure muscle is still on the high end by december.

5x5 routine is a great suggestion. might I throw out westside barbells for after the 5x5 routine.. might be a good thing to build up to since it's not really the right routine for novice level lifters

One thing to also remember is that barely any amateur (esp. standard college student) will put on only muscle. With the 10lb of muscle, you'll likely gain some fat (not sure how much) and retain more water. Overall, you'll look bigger, though.

All the different types of lifting suggestions are great. Personally, I just do my own powerlifting workout. The one thing you HAVE TO DO is lift consistently and intelligently. Don't lift so much weight on your 2nd set that you only get half the reps on your third set. The more perfect your form becomes, the more weight you'll lift with less pain.

I hate it when people skip lifts and then wonder why they don't get results. I see it all too often. Don't become one of those people.

One thing to also remember is that barely any amateur (esp. standard college student) will put on only muscle. With the 10lb of muscle, you'll likely gain some fat (not sure how much) and retain more water. Overall, you'll look bigger, though.

All the different types of lifting suggestions are great. Personally, I just do my own powerlifting workout. The one thing you HAVE TO DO is lift consistently and intelligently. Don't lift so much weight on your 2nd set that you only get half the reps on your third set. The more perfect your form becomes, the more weight you'll lift with less pain.

I hate it when people skip lifts and then wonder why they don't get results. I see it all too often. Don't become one of those people.

agreed with all of that except "Don't lift so much weight on your 2nd set that you only get half the reps on your third set." I feel that all depends on the person. some people benefit from high intensity (failure or near failure) sets.. some don't.

a lot of my sets are to near failure and I think I have done pretty well for my weight and age.

anyone else here who eats particularly clean notice that when they cheat or eat something high in refined sugar they get "high"?

im cheating a lot more these days but a few months ago the only simple sugar i EVER consumed was post workout (didn't even eat fruit, drink milk, etc) and when i snapped a few times throughout the year and ate a litre of ice cream i was literally euphoric while eating it

shits crazy

I was at the gym the other day and overheard two guys talking about something call Freestyle-Freeform Functional Dynamic Training. It sounded crazy but these guys were pretty cut and decent shape. Maybe it is just this new German thing or I misunderstood them, they were speaking English which I’m a little rusty on. I wish I knew a little backstory on them first, but whilst listening to their description of some of the things they do I was really intrigued. They said things about rooftops, squatting tree logs in the forest, scaling cranes for pullups. I’m really thinking about trying this out as there is a forest and a construction yard about 2 miles from me. Anyone doing anything similar to this? What kind of supplies would I need? They had some scrapes and bruises so I imagine I need some sort of first aid kit.

I had the same problem, but now I eat it with oatmeal + milk which disguises the taste of the cottage cheese completely.

anyone else here who eats particularly clean notice that when they cheat or eat something high in refined sugar they get "high"?

im cheating a lot more these days but a few months ago the only simple sugar i EVER consumed was post workout (didn't even eat fruit, drink milk, etc) and when i snapped a few times throughout the year and ate a litre of ice cream i was literally euphoric while eating it

shits crazy

If by "high", you mean "pissing out of your ass", then yes.

If by "high", you mean "pissing out of your ass", then yes.

hahahaha I owe you a rep

shits crazy

but yes I know what you mean.. after every workout, I have my post-workout shake which is basically 60g whey protein, 35g dextrose and 35g maltodextrin. when I drink it I definitely feel a little "fuzzy" inside from all the high glycemic carbs