supermeatheads

kunk75

how do you guys feel about using stretch reflex/bounce at the bottom of high bar a2g squats?

also note the butt wink in these videos - is this acceptable for high bar a2g purposes?

His butt wink isn't really pronounced, but yes you can get away with butt wink for oly squats, because most people don't have that optimal mobility to not butt wink.

Also I oly squat and bounce out of the hole, but in a controlled fashion. In a sense the oly style differs from the pl style in that the motion is more dynamic, and a certain amount of stretch reflex is helpful, but divebombing is something else entirely.

My cues are: controlled descent, slight bounce off the bottom and then try to get the butt under the hips.

Edited by DJ_Flame

re: usher, dj flame's pretty much right, but i'd like to add:

that dude clarence in the video is actually very flexible (he's from a tricking background). i wouldn't call his a butt wink either; it never goes beyond neutral.

some people with a butt wink (that produces a curve) seem to be fine in the bottom position, but i'd highly recommend fixing it, with hamstring stretches, since it can pull other muscles/joints in a weird fashion to compensate. when i used to lift, i'd have a butt wink if i didnt warm up/stretch, which would slightly pull on a nerve and produce a slight cracking sound in the tibia.

note on the bounce: it's essential in oly lifting. for squats, that helpful return energy (if you time it right) aids the bottom portion of the squat, but doesn't help after you go beyond parallel (the sticking point) since it's bouncing up and then back down. most high lvl oly lifters use pause reps in movements that have a bounce (bottom of the squat, and between the dip and drive of the jerk) so they know they know they have the strength, in a addition to the bouncing ability.

i can ramble on more about the bar/body bounce if you want; i'll leave it there for now.

thanks dj flame, that's exactly the kind of feedback i was looking for.

i've been on starting strength for about 8 months but i'm coming back from about a month off. i already dropped some weight to work on my form but i guess i should take even more off and really get it perfect. now i'm thinking i should tape all of my lifts.

i've been a member of planet fitness for a year now and i wanted to upgrade to a gym that has an actual bench and squat rack. i did 2 days free at NYSC to test waters and i loved it but it's like $70/mo. i'm broke out here so does anyone know of an affordable gym in nyc?? maybe upwards of $40-50/mo? i don't want any fitness classes, or a sauna, none of that bullshit. i just want some weights, some barbells and a squat rack.

starting to learn how to do snatches with the barbell. worked on my technique today after deadlifting and rows, it's totally an awesome exercise, but have to get the overhead squat down to a lower level. started off with just the bar, and ended up loading some 25's on to test out the technique, to success. might go for it on friday... i'll have to see how i feel. the california strength instructional videos really helped, but any suggestions for technique?

here's my progress so far, final weight for last sets on my 5x5's:

DL: 295

Squat: 235

Front Squat: 205

Power Cleans: 175

Rows: 175

i'm not really that good at snatching but the people who gave me advice said to really get to know the positions well, and only focus on improving one thing at a time. for accessory stuff, lots of high hang high rep(2-3 lol) work, and paused overhead squats. i was also able to hit a lower bottom position more consistently when i started doing these warmups

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1ja4EFIKtc

Edited by e0d9n0b5

i've been a member of planet fitness for a year now and i wanted to upgrade to a gym that has an actual bench and squat rack. i did 2 days free at NYSC to test waters and i loved it but it's like $70/mo. i'm broke out here so does anyone know of an affordable gym in nyc?? maybe upwards of $40-50/mo? i don't want any fitness classes, or a sauna, none of that bullshit. i just want some weights, some barbells and a squat rack.

affordable gym in nyc (i presume you mean manhattan) with bars? doesn't exist as far as i know.

rent is high, bars take up lots of room, and neighbors complain when you drop weights.... so you pay for the privilege.

Edited by Stacks

starting to learn how to do snatches with the barbell. worked on my technique today after deadlifting and rows, it's totally an awesome exercise, but have to get the overhead squat down to a lower level. started off with just the bar, and ended up loading some 25's on to test out the technique, to success. might go for it on friday... i'll have to see how i feel. the california strength instructional videos really helped, but any suggestions for technique?

here's my progress so far, final weight for last sets on my 5x5's:

DL: 295

Squat: 235

Front Squat: 205

Power Cleans: 175

Rows: 175

I would get really comfortable with a2g overhead squats first (hold the bottom position for 10+ seconds) before progressing too far on snatches. To build shoulder mobility and back flexibility I used a long towel at home as a substitute for a bar and just did a lot of reps when I had the time. I still do that now to get better at clean grip ohs. You might develop a tendency to relax on the lockout since there's no weight overhead so just be mindful of that.

what are some supplemental exercises for the squat core-wise. my back keeps rounding and my form collapses. Im thinking planks and ...?

Try Dragon Flags (or any of its variations) if you want to do calisthenics for assistance work, it's really good for core strength in my experience. You'll also get to work your grip and lats for dat v-taper

do u guys prefer pendlay rows (from the floor, pull to lower chest) or convential BB rows (hanging the bar at thighs/knees, pull to navel/upper abs)????

i feel like pendlays are more practical since they train for explosiveness, but I just cant get any damn progress on them (i've been through so many weight deloads)

starting with Stronglifts 5x5 this next week. i'm in the worst shape i have ever been and i used sports very regularly a few years ago and played competitively volleyball for 7 years during youth and even though i would be able to lift way more than it is required in the initial stages of the program i don't have any ego trips so i might as well start at the bottom and aim for a good form because i never did any of the exercises in the program regularly besides bench presses. I am also recovering from a bad wrist injury so i definitely should avoid overloading at all costs. We will see how it goes, i guess i will lose weight and gain muscle mass much faster than total beginners due to having been in quite good shape before.I will be following the program religiously as suggested by mehdi or what his name is.

My biggest motivation is feeling i am much slower playing basketball and volleyball when i get to do it lately, i think this will help make a big improvement.

Edited by Egpt

Pendlays. They are awesome. Been progressing slowly but steadily. Now able to pull 70kg for 6-7 reps.

If you're lifting for basket/volleyball, I suggest oly back squats as opposed to low bar squats in 5x5. Reason being the larger ROM in the oly squat has more carryover to sprinting/jumping.

5x5 advocates LBBS (low bar back squats) > the back angle is significantly different compared to high-bar, oly style squatting, where the torso is more vertical, your foot stance is narrower, and the depth of the squat is significantly deeper.

The middle one is a high bar. The right one is a low bar. 

squat.jpg

Just google "low bar vs high bar squat". Also, "pendlay vs barbell row".

I think these small changes at a powerlifting beginner level are just minimal, i might as well just stick to the program as is instead of trying to tune up things. pendlays seem like they isolate muscles more because u are keeping ur bar straight throughout the motion, i might as well do barbell rows and get a better general body exercise.

From a physics POV, i assume the low bar squat engages the upper body more than the high bar, so i am also sticking with the former. mind that legs are the thing that i feel i need less concentrating on because they are by far the muscles in my body i have more strength in considering the conditioning i was required to do for my volleyball team which had strong emphasis on making us jump higher. Breaking parallel on the squats with low bar seems more than enough for me on squats specially considering i will be doing 3 times a week. combine this with the weekly basketball and boxing practice i usually engage in and it's more than enough.

I thank you for suggestions but i think that this powerlifting thing when it comes to these small details do barely any difference whatsoever. just get your ass in the gym when you have to, achieve proper form and results will come. spending too much time switching programs and questioning them just hinders progression.

Edited by Egpt

Its your call. I just feel that as one ball player to another I find high bar and pendlay to be more sports specific. High bar + front squats esp has made my vertical and 40m dash improve by lot.

If after a couple of months i feel like i'm stalling or not making as much progression as i would like to i will give this a try though. thanks for the suggestion.