Supreme 2008 S/S

Dead_Wizard

Part of what you're paying for is the exclusivity, for sure.

well, to the degree that supreme is marking up above rrp and you can't get them anywhere else. but the box price is probably in the ballpark of syndicate rrp (which they also mark up on) so i don't see what the fuss is all about.

btw i didn't think the chukkas were too impressive but the half cabs are actually pretty nice.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the chukka/half cab thing goes...

I can understand the 'special' colorways- but solid colors? Exclusitivity? The only visual difference is the miniscule Supreme labeling.

As for comfort- what's stopping people people from picking up general release, solid color chukkas/halfcabs, throwing in a Dr.Scholl's massaging footbed? That combination makes a premium shoe to me.

As for quality- is the difference worth passing the opportunity to have 2-3 pairs of shoes for the price of 1? I mean you can have you shit-kickers AND your stay-clean cake and eat it too!

I suppose the root of my prodding is to figure out something-

How do people, from time to time, regard and defend Supreme as a core skate brand when its true core supporters just support the t-shirts?

Would I be correct in associating Supreme with non-skate skate brands like Supra NS, Clae, or Elwood?

Not attacking Supreme or supporters in any way; I've just been lurking this forum forever and still have not read a legitimate reason why people place it on a pedastal so high.

(though not undeservedly)

Not attacking Supreme or supporters in any way; I've just been lurking this forum forever and still have not read a legitimate reason why people place it on a pedastal so high.

I just think they have some dope ass shirt designs, that's all. Some of their designs are so fuckin sweet that I'm willing to beast and hunt that shit down, pay for a pickup, reseller, etc. The Miles tee was fucking awesome and I had no problem paying for it.

Kermit and the last round wasn't all that sweet and I didn't beast. But older shits like the Big L, those shirts are so dope to me, and they shirts are way higher quality than a lot of standard shit.

I can understand the 'special' colorways- but solid colors? Exclusitivity? The only visual difference is the miniscule Supreme labeling.

As for comfort- what's stopping people people from picking up general release, solid color chukkas/halfcabs, throwing in a Dr.Scholl's massaging footbed? That combination makes a premium shoe to me.

As for quality- is the difference worth passing the opportunity to have 2-3 pairs of shoes for the price of 1? I mean you can have you shit-kickers AND your stay-clean cake and eat it too!

How do people, from time to time, regard and defend Supreme as a core skate brand when its true core supporters just support the t-shirts?

Would I be correct in associating Supreme with non-skate skate brands like Supra NS, Clae, or Elwood?

this argument/arguments aer made time and time again.......

do little changes make a difference/ why are people willing to pay for for slightly better quality name brand??

that can be asked about alot of supremes cut and sew as well..to the uncaring eye, chinos aer chinos.....whther they are supreme...old navy...polo.....

oxfords...all look same.....but some liek to feel/think a little more care was taken in the construction / thought / design of what they aer wearing.....

and if you dont want to pay extra for something, or don't care or want a "cheaper" version, go for it...

and is Supreme a "skate" brand....at its core i think it is....but its definitely branched out and is more fashion / streetwear staple/scene then a skate staple....but thats just one man's opinion....others will argue against it....

Your logic is akin to: Why drink Glenlivet when you can get a handle of Jim Beam?

Some people appreciate the subtle (or sometimes not so subtle) niceties that make the brand attractive.

Supreme was a root skate shop, still is. Supreme offspringed some of the most legendary NY skateboarders. As far as associating it with elwood, supra, and clae....how could you say those are not skate brands? ELWOOD? Elwood is one of the original skateboard clothing brands of the 90's. Supra is just a new skate shoe brand that targets towards hipsters. Clae has always been sold in skateshops. Supremes just been around forever, some of the best skaters still go in and out of there. Im not going to lie, when I saw some of the skaters I thought were cool in the mid 90's i was like what the hell is Supreme? Then I was like oh ok, thats cool. And yeah a lot people support their tee's, I know i do because of its 80's-90's influence, stuff i grew up on. Punk Rock/Hip hop/Skateboarding. Not to mention collabs with some real influential artist, especially this most recent one. Supremes just raw, and doesnt give a fuck what they throw on their tee's controversial or not. Thats what skateboarding was about before. JUST STRAIGHT NOT GIVEN' A FUCK!

Supreme was a root skate shop, still is. Supreme offspringed some of the most legendary NY skateboarders. As far as associating it with elwood, supra, and clae....how could you say those are not skate brands? ELWOOD? Elwood is one of the original skateboard clothing brands of the 90's. Supra is just a new skate shoe brand that targets towards hipsters. Clae has always been sold in skateshops. Supremes just been around forever, some of the best skaters still go in and out of there. Im not going to lie, when I saw some of the skaters I thought were cool in the mid 90's i was like what the hell is Supreme? Then I was like oh ok, thats cool. And yeah a lot people support their tee's, I know i do because of its 80's-90's influence, stuff i grew up on. Punk Rock/Hip hop/Skateboarding. Not to mention collabs with some real influential artist, especially this most recent one. Supremes just raw, and doesnt give a fuck what they throw on their tee's controversial or not. Thats what skateboarding was about before. JUST STRAIGHT NOT GIVEN' A FUCK!

I meant the comparison to Supra NS (non-skate), Clae, and Elwood like this-

All 3 of those companies create premium gear aimed towards skateboarders, but not normally used in actual skateboarding.

Supra has LEGENDS (and legends in the making) on their team, I've known about Clae since they first showed up through Sole Technology a few years back. Elwood since the beginning as well. All 3 of these companies now cater to an audience that prefers the skate style, but you're not really going to actually sweat in or rip that product up.

I'm understanding more what drives Supreme- I guess my confusion was coming from the hypebeast demand of Supreme, and the possibility that the folks at Supreme occasionally throw some shit together in haste to make a quick buck off off those said hypebeasts.

Lastly, comparing Glenlivet to Jim Beam is missing the point.

My logic was, in essence, comparing Jim Beam to Jim Beam X Supreme :cool:

Alright... I'll stop beating, pissing, and shitting on the dead horse.

Thanks for speaking your minds though, much love

The whole hypebeast thing really began once Supreme collaborated with Nike, introducing that whole mess of people to the brand. Then the brand became synonymous with "limited edition!!!!!" mania which really gets the kids crazy, which is funny because when you look at old interviews with James Jebbia, he specifically says that they're not doing miniscule runs of their product to drum up hype, but rather match the demand without diluting the market. Combine all that with launching a website that made inventory very transparent, and you have Supreme of today.

I couldn't care less about beasted out kids wearing the gear like it's a uniform, because honestly, jokes on them for looking like a complete tool.

Supreme has successfully marketed authenticity to people looking to be able to buy it. How punk/street/skater is that? Their limited editions operate on the same principle that manufactured scarcity toys do. Most of these kids probably started skating five months ago, after seeing Pharrell do it, and have Kubricks and GTA5 or whatever in their $500 backpacks, slung on their buffalo check shoulders. Real. fuckin'. street.

Later, clo(w)nes.

Was anyone else not impressed with the most recent chukkas?

The suede was really rough compared to last seasons. Definitely not what I was expecting at all.

were there chuckas last year? or were talkin about the syndicate quilted suade?

The whole hypebeast thing really began once Supreme collaborated with Nike, introducing that whole mess of people to the brand. Then the brand became synonymous with "limited edition!!!!!" mania which really gets the kids crazy, which is funny because when you look at old interviews with James Jebbia, he specifically says that they're not doing miniscule runs of their product to drum up hype, but rather match the demand without diluting the market. Combine all that with launching a website that made inventory very transparent, and you have Supreme of today.

I couldn't care less about beasted out kids wearing the gear like it's a uniform, because honestly, jokes on them for looking like a complete tool.

Dead_Wiz, You Are On point.

It would be sick if the Cliver decks were slicks!

Also, if I remember correctly, Clae was a podium (lakai/DVS) deal (right?). They closed up shop in '02-'03('04?) and somebody recently bought the name/old designs or something like that from them.

Basically old Clae has nothing to do with new Clae.

I meant the comparison to Supra NS (non-skate), I've known about Clae since they first showed up through Sole Technology a few years back.

*disclamer: I may be totally wrong

You either get it or you dont. Like the best things, its hard to explain but better to learn about of your own accord. Asking here isnt gonna reveal much to you. Its easier if you've been there for a while, any newcomers would find it difficult to 'get'. Essentially it boils down to subtlety, details and cutural / historical nous with a sprinkle of that edgy New York flavour, thats why Supreme rules...

Also, if I remember correctly, Clae was a podium (lakai/DVS) deal (right?). They closed up shop in '02-'03('04?) and somebody recently bought the name/old designs or something like that from them.

Basically old Clae has nothing to do with new Clae.

from what I understand, Sung Choi is still the dude behind Clae (as he was from the start) but i don't think it's thru podium anymore? Clae were dope at the time...sleek, simple, not too padded and nicely designed. Basically everything Lakai should have been (who he also designed for) at the time but wasn't.

thesupreme hit the nail on the head also

It would be sick if the Cliver decks were slicks!

Slicks!

Did they even make those after 95?

Workshop and Acme used to make the ill slicks back in the day. Those fuckers were heavy though!

edit: oh I guess you meant as a homage to early-mid 90s skate culture. and for the amount of people that will use them for their intended purpose they prob should\ve. Scrap the t-shirts and release a pair of size 40 green cords with super wide legs also. maybe even some oversized shpants for the full pacakge.(0)

The latest iteration of Clae has nothing to do with Sole Tech - although it is aesthetically similar to the Etnies Plus line. They aren't meant for skateboarding.

On a different note, reading through this got me ruminating on some shit:

The thing about skateboarding is that I was clowned on my whole life by jocks and thugs for it. Chased off the street by police and security guards, scoffed at by cheerleaders I so badly wanted to hump in the backseats of their shiny new convertibles in high school, that, "what are you, 14?" look, all "you STILL skateboard? Do a kickflip." "TONY HAAAWK!"

I'm not claiming I was some kind of outcast, skateboarding did more good for me than bad, that's why I stuck with it, but I certainly caught my share of shit for it, so the last thing I'm going to do is dog on someone else for skating. Never that.

With that said, if you look stupid, you look stupid. If you're trying too hard it shows, and that isn't what it's about either. Supreme is for all types--just not corny losers working harder on their image than whatever else it is that they do. And as much as the brand signifies some kind of respect for skate and street culture, it's also a red flag. So for those of you wondering: we know.

haha, i can definitely hear you on that gnar. i am in college now and i get that shit from all the stupid frat boys. its all good though, dont let that shit bother me, i just do me.

i occasionally see other people wearing supreme and if they look like they arent posers i give em a head nod, real respect real. most of the people rockin supreme up here in boston are asian hypebeasts, but theres some people who genuinely know whats up.