Do people still care about selvedge/raw denim?

englandmj7

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Superdenim/selvage/repro are for the Sufuers who are either too fat to wear slim jeans, or are getting so old that to continue wearing skinny jeans would just be creepy i.e., Karl Lagerfeld. Only a small minority of the Denim aficionado are skinny, and it's only because they're asian and couldn't gain weight if their life depended on it.

Do people still care about selvedge/raw denim? Or has everyone gone back to dunk collecting?

never owned a pair of dunks, but i do love my jeans. so to answer your first question, yes.

Superdenim/selvage/repro are for the Sufuers who are either too fat to wear slim jeans, or are getting so old that to continue wearing skinny jeans would just be creepy i.e., Karl Lagerfeld. Only a small minority of the Denim aficionado are skinny, and it's only because they're asian and couldn't gain weight if their life depended on it.

i couldnt have said it better...

wait.. yeah i could...

my raw selvage denimz will be cool long after your skinny grey jeans are out of style. im not old or fat, they just work well for me and my lifestyle... cant work outside on a construction site or skateboard in tight jeans... not sufu tight at least... and the quality does make a difference to me.

While I'm not knocking anybody for it, I always thought denim collectors missed the point a little bit. One of the main reasons for interest in these jeans is the quality and craftsmanship. The point is that you don't need many pairs when a few will last you for years and years.

That said, raw jeans will never go out of style and there are a ton of beautiful cuts now, so theres really no reason for anyone to ever 'stop caring'.

As I type this I'm wearing my OG contest sammies and they are more beautiful today and fit better than they ever have.

i think i am off the raw denim kick anyways (fingers crossed), as i have every cut i should ever need:

TF - skinny

NS - regular tapered

KMW 1980 - straight leg slim

RRDS - slim bootcut

now i need some black 511s and some of the new S2A grey jeans and im done forever(fingers crossed).

I think that there will always be a loyal following for selvedge denim. Japanese kids have been into it for years on end. If you ever noticed all the hardcore denim brands have always stuck to the tried and true and have never really been about fashion.

The majority of superfuture was never really INTO denim, they just wanted whatever was trendy at the moment among the "elite". Selvedge japanese denim was trendy and now its super skinny nut huggers and shiny shoes.

I think that there will always be a loyal following for selvedge denim. Japanese kids have been into it for years on end. If you ever noticed all the hardcore denim brands have always stuck to the tried and true and have never really been about fashion.

The majority of superfuture was never really INTO denim, they just wanted whatever was trendy at the moment among the "elite". Selvedge japanese denim was trendy and now its super skinny nut huggers and shiny shoes.

you are kidding?

denimbeasting IS fashionbeasting.

please, if you're into clothes - whatever crappy ass fabric it may be - then you're into fashion.

While I'm not knocking anybody for it, I always thought denim collectors missed the point a little bit. One of the main reasons for interest in these jeans is the quality and craftsmanship. The point is that you don't need many pairs when a few will last you for years and years.

this is a really good point.

i've never understood the edmonds of this board who collect pair after pair of super-high quality japanese selvege denim. i have 1 pair of samurais that i wear most days, and 1 pair of levis capital e skinny black jeans for when i need to gothninja it up a bit. why the need for 4-6 pairs of $200+ raw blue selvege denim?

ive gotten it to the point where all of the jeans i own fit and look different. gave away 5 or 6 pair in the past few months. i cant see the point in owning a ton of shit that looks exactly the same.

raw isnt as important to me either... i find myself wearing my rrl(prewashed) as much as anything else.. and if they were better quality id wear the shit out of the black waxed jeans i have.

I'll always wear jeans, and I reckon I'll buy a new pair every 8-10 months or so - as I have done for the past ten years...

Simple stuff really...

edit: but to answer the question - the last two pairs I have bought are one-wash, so raw isn't a must for me. I know they'll look good if I wear them hard and for a decent length of time.

I still dig selvedge becasue I cuff...

I've always loved jeans (starting when I was a little kid, basically) and still do. Breaking in a nice pair seems like a continuation of this to me. I don't plan on giving it up for a while/ever.
^^was thinking the same thing. I just like having a pair break down and become "my fav pair" over time. I really enjoy the process a lot.

amen.

always loved jeans and most likely always will. regarding raw i prefer enjoying the full aging process. regarding selvage i like many of them because i happen to prefer quality. (i don't like a pair of jeans just because they're selvage -- there are tons of horrible selvage jeans out there. but i also like a bunch of non-selvage jeans with good qualities.)

i didn't get into the raw selvage thing because it was what people were into. i got into it because i like them.

kid_chicken.jpg