korea :: seoul :: general

thomas_highstreet

it's gonna be cold for you til about May, I'd say, lol. It's like 60 deg F at night (still haven't bothered to learn celsius in all my time here, lol) and like 75 in the day right now, its perfect weather for catching a cold. The days get really short and the nights really long come late November til about March. I wear my leather jacket with various layers (and that might mean a lot of layers in February, it's still snow and bitter wind weather) about 6 months of the year here. Layering is essential because it can be 20 deg F outside and blowing some really vicious winds at you, then it'll be like 85 deg F inside a store or restaurant and you'll be sweatin it out. I stick to a combo of a tee, cardi, leather jacket, and then Uniqlo half tights under my jeans. I am still cold in the winter but it's ok as long as you don't stay outside too much. Spring will be really nice though.

yeah but I work better with measurements off jackets. Kind of hard for me to work with body measurements still, and I'm still feeling out my leathers and I have yet to see them on a variety of people yet and just make them to a set of measurements.

I just noticed that Seoul Fashion Week is starting up right after I arrive. Does anyone know how strict they are about getting into shows and exhibitions? I have no problem in Tokyo but don't really know anyone over there. I put in a registration as a buyer but it was kind of last minute so hopefully it all goes through.

I don't know how exciting any of it actually is, but I figure I'll be there so I might as well check it out.

its pretty interesting to find my hometown city on this forum... went through a couple of pages and its looking legit. the prices here are a bit higher than the states but theres a few gems. walked into stone island and copped some heat yesterday..

did anybody hit up the corso cormo event last friday?

currently the hotspots for nightlife:

heaven, eden, answer (pvd reopened it last fri), naked (afterhours)

mix on wednesdays (garosugil)

tutti matti on thursdays (garosugil)

The best ones for you are gonna be in Daeshin-dong, to the front of the East gate of Yonsei, where you'll be. It's quiet and a nice student housing neighborhood back there.

Otherwise, there are a ton of hasooks littered around Shinchon (Daehyun-dong perhaps?). There's a few streets right under my window that are lined with only hasooks, it's halfway between Ewha and Shinchon subways, clustered opposite the Shinchon KTX station (old Shinchon overland rail station, aka Migliore, megabox theater, etc)... You can probably Google map it.

I think the best bet are the sleep-only hasooks with a private bathroom, you don't want to risk getting some hasook lady who can't cook and end up having to pay for putrid food you won't eat, I think they're all pretty much around 400,000W/month no matter what kind of options are included in your hasook.

The best ones for you are gonna be in Daeshin-dong, to the front of the East gate of Yonsei, where you'll be. It's quiet and a nice student housing neighborhood back there.

Otherwise, there are a ton of hasooks littered around Shinchon (Daehyun-dong perhaps?). There's a few streets right under my window that are lined with only hasooks, it's halfway between Ewha and Shinchon subways, clustered opposite the Shinchon KTX station (old Shinchon overland rail station, aka Migliore, megabox theater, etc)... You can probably Google map it.

I think the best bet are the sleep-only hasooks with a private bathroom, you don't want to risk getting some hasook lady who can't cook and end up having to pay for putrid food you won't eat, I think they're all pretty much around 400,000W/month no matter what kind of options are included in your hasook.

helpful as always, but do you know of any specific names of these establishments? generic searches on the internet haven't yielded anything particularly useful for me.

They're all tiny 10-room places with different names, some men-only, some women-only, some co-ed on diff floors, etc. It's kinda early to book one now but hit me up later when I have more time, like December and I can grab phone numbers when I go out for a walk or something. You probably do need to reserve in advance, at least a little, but they also have signs in front whenever they have space.

nightlife@garosugil?

just bars right?

Technically yes but Tutti Matti has a basement with a bar and some stomping room to dance. Drink prices are a bit steep but the place is good for a pre-drink before heading out to any of the major clubs in Kangnam.

I believe Wednesdays is ladies night at Mix and thus drink prices are cheaper for beer and tequila. No room to dance at ALL.