Fingathing

Best Non-SLR digital camera

831 posts in this topic

I've been really happy with the Sony RX100. It might not be what you're looking for - a glorified point and shoot with a zoom, but the Zeiss lens and intuitive interface yield surprising results in a small and accessible package that's easy to carry all the time. 

I like the Fuji X series cameras, too. Maybe you can find an X30 for a really good deal?

I have a x10 thats kinda follow me everywhere, very convenient good price for what it does 

recently got a lumix gm-5 and with a prime lens this is by far my favorite digital camera I've owned. Seems to me that micro 4/3s is the way to go if you don't want an SLR

Got an all black Lumix GM1 while shooting some low light documentary stuff in Asia,

Originally bought it just because it was super small and looked great, but it's an incredible camera.

Now I carry my Leica M6 and a 35mm point and shoot for daytime shoots and the Lumix for Night / Low light stuff.

Some samples from the 3 months I've had it below, all shot on automatic / unedited. Would highly recommend it.

VreYd9D.png

doTfptE.jpg

Edited by NOBUYOSHI

suggestions for a pocket sized point and shoot? sony rx100?

bought a fuji xa1 but i want something that can fit in my pocket when travelling 

^ Sony RX100 is probably the best bet. I'd get a Canon G7X instead if you're more interested in video though.

anything bad about the rx100 video?

Nah, just the G7X has touch control for the screen which makes focusing in video easier. Technically the RX100 provides more options for video, but for day-to-day shooting of video the G7X is just more pleasant to use.

Hey y'all got a question;

I'm looking at picking up a used mirrorless camera to start some shooting again (previous camera was an old digital rebel xt) and I've narrowed the field to the Sony A6000 and the Fujifilm Xpro1. I'm sort of leaning more towards the Sony, but can anyone give me some reasons to go with the XPro1/solidify my reasoning for the A6000?

I'm budgeting around 600 dollars or so, so the new XPro2 is out of budget.

I originally was thinking about doing an 6D + 50/1.4, but for the amateur stuff I'm doing, the newer mirrorless stuff I've seen is pretty darn good and way more portable.

Fuji cameras are more fun to shoot with because of the fun manual controls and nice build quality of everything, Sony's lens selection is somewhat lackluster, and Sony have pretty much abandoned their non-full frame systems. The A6000 is probably the more "reasonable" choice nonethelss, but I have a soft spot for Fuji. Also any reason why you're not considering one of the earlier Olympus OM-D models?

Fuji cameras are more fun to shoot with because of the fun manual controls and nice build quality of everything, Sony's lens selection is somewhat lackluster, and Sony have pretty much abandoned their non-full frame systems. The A6000 is probably the more "reasonable" choice nonethelss, but I have a soft spot for Fuji. Also any reason why you're not considering one of the earlier Olympus OM-D models?

I hadn't really considered the Olympus, but Sony's happened to be pretty plentiful used.

I ended up getting an a6000 body off craigslist for super cheap this morning. I know the glass is limited, but I like the form factor, and there's a few adapters out there.

Thanks!

what is the opinion on ricoh gr ii in 2016?

^ You may want to look into the Fuji X70 - same compact size that also has an APS-C sensor and 28mm equivalent. Has the advantage of a tilting screen that is touch sensitive.

Ricoh is better for single handed use, but if you like tap to focus and the tilting screen, then Fuji. If you shoot JPEG as opposed to RAW, then the Ricoh is good for their black and white processing, but if you like the JPEGs out of the X100 series, you'll probably like the Fuji better.

what is the opinion on ricoh gr ii in 2016?

ricoh gr 2 isn't much of an upgrade from the first one. their wifi app sucks, too. i'd wait for the next one if you want a GR

Edited by herpsky

or try to get the GR mk1 for cheap! if you don't need the wifi function then it would be a good option I think

or try to get the GR mk1 for cheap! if you don't need the wifi function then it would be a good option I think

Basically the same as the two without wifi!

Thought I would throw this question out here- I'm moving across to California and road tripping across the country and looking to get a camera to document the trip, mostly shooting landscapes and portraits. Probably gonna spend around $1200 in total. Any thoughts on a camera to buy? I was thinking a mirror less body and a 50mm 1.8 lense. 

28 minutes ago, nycsurfer530 said:

Thought I would throw this question out here- I'm moving across to California and road tripping across the country and looking to get a camera to document the trip, mostly shooting landscapes and portraits. Probably gonna spend around $1200 in total. Any thoughts on a camera to buy? I was thinking a mirror less body and a 50mm 1.8 lense. 

I just got the Fuji X-100F for the same type of use and it's the best camera I've ever owned from every aspect.