Best Non-SLR digital camera

Fingathing

• 3 months later...

Got an all black Lumix GM1 while shooting some low light documentary stuff in Asia,

Originally bought it just because it was super small and looked great, but it's an incredible camera.

Now I carry my Leica M6 and a 35mm point and shoot for daytime shoots and the Lumix for Night / Low light stuff.

Some samples from the 3 months I've had it below, all shot on automatic / unedited. Would highly recommend it.

VreYd9D.png

doTfptE.jpg

Edited by NOBUYOSHI

Nah, just the G7X has touch control for the screen which makes focusing in video easier. Technically the RX100 provides more options for video, but for day-to-day shooting of video the G7X is just more pleasant to use.

• 10 months later...

Hey y'all got a question;

I'm looking at picking up a used mirrorless camera to start some shooting again (previous camera was an old digital rebel xt) and I've narrowed the field to the Sony A6000 and the Fujifilm Xpro1. I'm sort of leaning more towards the Sony, but can anyone give me some reasons to go with the XPro1/solidify my reasoning for the A6000?

I'm budgeting around 600 dollars or so, so the new XPro2 is out of budget.

I originally was thinking about doing an 6D + 50/1.4, but for the amateur stuff I'm doing, the newer mirrorless stuff I've seen is pretty darn good and way more portable.

Fuji cameras are more fun to shoot with because of the fun manual controls and nice build quality of everything, Sony's lens selection is somewhat lackluster, and Sony have pretty much abandoned their non-full frame systems. The A6000 is probably the more "reasonable" choice nonethelss, but I have a soft spot for Fuji. Also any reason why you're not considering one of the earlier Olympus OM-D models?

Fuji cameras are more fun to shoot with because of the fun manual controls and nice build quality of everything, Sony's lens selection is somewhat lackluster, and Sony have pretty much abandoned their non-full frame systems. The A6000 is probably the more "reasonable" choice nonethelss, but I have a soft spot for Fuji. Also any reason why you're not considering one of the earlier Olympus OM-D models?

I hadn't really considered the Olympus, but Sony's happened to be pretty plentiful used.

I ended up getting an a6000 body off craigslist for super cheap this morning. I know the glass is limited, but I like the form factor, and there's a few adapters out there.

Thanks!

^ You may want to look into the Fuji X70 - same compact size that also has an APS-C sensor and 28mm equivalent. Has the advantage of a tilting screen that is touch sensitive.

Ricoh is better for single handed use, but if you like tap to focus and the tilting screen, then Fuji. If you shoot JPEG as opposed to RAW, then the Ricoh is good for their black and white processing, but if you like the JPEGs out of the X100 series, you'll probably like the Fuji better.

• 2 weeks later...

what is the opinion on ricoh gr ii in 2016?

ricoh gr 2 isn't much of an upgrade from the first one. their wifi app sucks, too. i'd wait for the next one if you want a GR

Edited by herpsky

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

or try to get the GR mk1 for cheap! if you don't need the wifi function then it would be a good option I think

Basically the same as the two without wifi!

• 1 year later...

Thought I would throw this question out here- I'm moving across to California and road tripping across the country and looking to get a camera to document the trip, mostly shooting landscapes and portraits. Probably gonna spend around $1200 in total. Any thoughts on a camera to buy? I was thinking a mirror less body and a 50mm 1.8 lense. 

28 minutes ago, nycsurfer530 said:

Thought I would throw this question out here- I'm moving across to California and road tripping across the country and looking to get a camera to document the trip, mostly shooting landscapes and portraits. Probably gonna spend around $1200 in total. Any thoughts on a camera to buy? I was thinking a mirror less body and a 50mm 1.8 lense. 

I just got the Fuji X-100F for the same type of use and it's the best camera I've ever owned from every aspect.

• 4 weeks later...

Fuji XT-2 is out, but it's a bit above your budget, so go with the XT-1 + good lense, then upgrade to the XT-2 in a year or so when you have more experience.

It's not sexy, it's not fun, but I believe in getting something basic, outgrowing it, then moving on to something better when you know what to get. You can buy a 5D MkII, which was a killer camera back in the day, for a fraction of its MSRP, and still make amazing images now.

• 4 weeks later...

Ended up with the fujifilm x-t20 with the 18-55  2.8-4 lense. After trying dozens of cameras at b&h this one by far was the easiest to use (sonys were a mess)- a huge bonus as it's my first real camera. I also don't need a ton of bells and whistles or video features since I'll just be taking stills. I tried out the x2 and it's great but the x-t20 has the same "guts" as the x2- same autofocus and imaging. Super excited about it.  I'll buy a quick wide prime as well to go with it 

IMG_2029.JPG

IMG_2030.JPG

IMG_2031.JPG

IMG_2035.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Xpost from the photography thread.. Picked up an a7ii this weekend. Its not the most attractive camera and the menus are a bit clunky but the full frame sensor and the ability to use my Leica glass sold me over. Its a pretty compact package with my Summicron 40mm on it. I'm really liking the images out of it so far.

36412062994_6bebaa36a9_z.jpg