Pictures that make you uncomfortable

Mr Waffles

cicada, they make the loud buzzing up in the trees. Then they all mate and die out. Completely harmless.

Thanks! Just checked it and it seems the one shown here is the only beautiful ones of that species, they other ones just look like you would expect insects to look like.

cute home birth photo story:

actually I find it more disturbing that the other kid watches that whole "miracle of life"... did she also watch when the baby was made?

found this in a liquor store in Japan...

photo-89.jpg

the things not small either, I couldn't even come close to putting my hand around the jar

They're produced on a few islands in the Ryukyu chain (the chain including Okinawa) where the Habu snake is native. They remove the poison glands and then bottle them up mouth-open as souvenirs.

It is a fucking vicious viper with one of the longest strike distances of any snake. I think (from memory of a crazy doco I saw) they can strike up to 200% of their body length at a pretty serious incline. Imagine cruising through some tropical jungle in Japan, you see this snake on the forest floor about 6 feet away, and before you can move the thing is hanging off your face.

Imagine cruising through some tropical jungle in Japan, you see this snake on the forest floor about 6 feet away, and before you can move the thing is hanging off your face.

This happened to me in Ishigaki, sans getting bit in the face. Kids got sticks and beat it to death, which I didn't really think was fair, but....