Lanvin FW 08-09

mike lowrey

Wow, more amazing work from Lanvin. I'm really loving the blazers, more so than anything else cuz they're very short cut, or at least they appear to be. I've been looking for a good one for far too long, and my prayers have finally been answered. =] It does make me a little sad/intrigued with the lack of runway sneaks, I'm really hoping that they still drop some, really wanting to see what they'll look like too.

Cross-posted from sz cause Lanvin is the talk of the superfuture town hence the hope for a fun discussion:

A strong effort, I'm especially pleased by the long suit-jackets/ frock coats (something I've been looking for quite some time) and the exquisite detailing on the blazers. The grey colour scheme that has been sweeping the runway along with low contrast styling is here in full force but fits so much within Lanvin's design vocabulary that we finally understand how much subterranean influence the house now holds over the collective designers psyche.

I’d say Lanvin and Raf have taken Dior’s relay as the companies that set the pace for mainstream but thoughtful menswear. I’m glad Lanvin has also abandoned the sinking ship of over present sneakers on the runway. I’m not convinced by some of the silhouettes put forward but this isn’t in any way comparable to Raf’s current debacle. I am, however, doubtful of the black tie resurgence, as this seems to be like the carefully planned retreat strategy employed by French fashion houses that want avoid the stigma of being more of a pop culture flash in the pan than the intertwined and enduring partner of high society’s perennial presence (see DH similar move a few collections back).

I am, however, doubtful of the black tie resurgence, as this seems to be like the carefully planned retreat strategy employed by French fashion houses that want avoid the stigma of being more of a pop culture flash in the pan than the intertwined and enduring partner of high society’s perennial presence (see DH similar move a few collections back).

agreed agreed, it seems like every designer in europe is pushing the sportswear meets formalwear (barrett, lanvin, versace, gucci et al) and everyone else who isnt doing that is opting for the american traditional look (junya watanabe, number nine, rag and bone)

while the binary nature of the trends isnt wholly unexpected, its a bit stifling, especially with the absence of any designers offering a remarkable or especially appealing alternative

but appealing is a rather subjective thing to say, and any number of designers could be named as offering a remarkable alternative