Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

I have a big bag of odd-side leather that's thicker than anything else I've ever seen. Probably over 12oz all around, some possibly thicker. I really have no idea what to do with it...

Suggestions? Definitely some high-end stuff with a lot of impreg oil, though the brown stuff is pretty light inside like Chromexel. I'm really curious what the dude in central VT was using it for...

I'm sure it's been listed here before, but I just didn't feel like going through page after page...

I need some good Veg Tanned thicker hide to make a belt loop.

Where are you guys buying your stock from? In the US...

Curious if anyone would be willing to try their hand at making a canvas bike pannier with some leather straps to hold it down. It seems the market for them is either really pricey or just really shitty.

If I ever get a sewing machine, some canvas/leather bike stuff is going to be my first mission, but it's still down the road a bit for me.

Anyone know of a good source for some nice heavyweight canvas? I'd like to start working with canvas for some packs. Maybe even a cordura source? Let me know, thanks.

check your local amy surplus store. You can source lots of reclaimed fabrics there, if thats your cup-o-tea.

Anyone know of a good source for some nice heavyweight canvas? I'd like to start working with canvas for some packs. Maybe even a cordura source? Let me know, thanks.

check your local amy surplus store. You can source lots of reclaimed fabrics there, if thats your cup-o-tea.

Figured I'd post this up, it's kinda part of my process. I like to design little graphics for my bags and print them all by hand, and I did one tonight and took a few pictures.

So first I draw out what I'd like. I print with a Gocco, so I draw it out with a special pen that has carbon in it, because the screen will burn based on a reaction with the carbon. I figure a whale tale with an anchor inside would be nice, and I play around with cut paper and type before settling on one.

5013240259_373ed2f853_z.jpg

From there it's pretty simple. I burn a screen, ink it up, and print my bags. I like classic colors, so I go with red. I don't keep the screen perfectly ink'd, because I like every print to be different.

5013846792_d5da06b5d7_z.jpg

They look nice, but the reason I used a bold design was because I wanted some dimension- so I clean the screen and reink with blue. I don't bother to align the bags, so wherever the second color prints, it prints. I get both perfect alignments:

5013853760_15fa49da51_z.jpg

and perfectly unperfect alignments:

5013854366_845a7c2e00_z.jpg

Either way, it's a great way to add even more fun and creativity to the craft. Anyone else make their own packaging?

Thanks Beatle!

Here's a design I've been working on for a while. I basically took the exterior of an interior and put it inside, so the interior shell forms the exterior pocket inside the wallet. It allows me to use 5oz leather throughout, and the wallets still only 3/8" thick. This is the sample, hasn't really been edged.

5015374166_1e9bb1ce12_z.jpg

5015373306_1ab2cc078c_z.jpg