Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

As I said a few pages back, I took a bunch of photos of the construction of the new wallet I recently made for myself. I documented the whole thing from beginning to end for all of the up-and-coming leatherworkers that watch this thread.

In the interest of not cluttering up this thread too much, I'm only going to post the first few pictures here, but the whole series is also up on my flickr page in it's own separate album, here.

4965521625_e898bd741c.jpg

0.) The project.

I'm going to be making a new wallet in natural to match my old belt, with the Western pattern that you see on Clint Eastwood's gear in the 'Man with No Name" series.

4966106628_fdcc516dcd.jpg

1.) To start...

...I've cut the three main pieces for this project.

The longest one will be the main shell of the wallet, the middle one will be the left side card slot, which will be folded in half, and the smallest is the right side card slot.

I like to cut 'inside' pieces a few millimeters larger than they need to be so that I can trim the edges to match each other precisely. You'll see this later on.

4966107614_54d511c459.jpg

2.) Rounding the corners...

...I use a snap setting anvil for this, just because I like the size of the curve, and it's easy to work with.

Circle tracers work fine, but this is simpler for me. I just hold the little anvil in place and trim along the edge to make the curved corner.

4966108600_01db1cccc1.jpg

3.) Curved

All four corners trimmed down

4966109544_e4aef9bbf5.jpg

4.) Shaping the card slots...

...I use some cereal box cardboard templates for complex curves to ensure that they come out the same each time.

I usually just draw them on paper, then fold it and cut to ensure symmetry, then glue the paper to some cardboard so that I have a tracer that I can use a few times.

4966110468_e8082cb896.jpg

5.) Slotted

Here are the completed card slot cuts. The one on the right will be folded in half on the finished wallet.

...and the rest of the series is here. I hope that this helps any of the future leatherworkers out a little bit. I don't know too much about how other people work, but this is what I do, and it seems to work pretty well for me. It's definitely not "the" way, just "a" way.

Cool stuff as usual, hollows.

I made my first bracelet for someone today. Nothing too fancy, but it is custom length, burnished edges, oil dye, oiled to buttery softness.

braceletsm.jpg

As I said a few pages back, I took a bunch of photos of the construction of the new wallet I recently made for myself. I documented the whole thing from beginning to end for all of the up-and-coming leatherworkers that watch this thread.

definitely a +rep! Great effort, hollows.

Clear pics and easily understood explanation.

Awesome tutorial hollows.

P.S., After seeing you in the waywt thread you are DEFINATLY not how I would have pictured...

Haha, thanks? I think? The beard definitely catches people off guard sometimes. I usually just chop it off once a year in the springtime, then let it grow. Gotta have that protective barrier when bicycling a Minneapolis winter.

Haha, thanks? I think? The beard definitely catches people off guard sometimes. I usually just chop it off once a year in the springtime, then let it grow. Gotta have that protective barrier when bicycling a Minneapolis winter.

lol, I meant no disrespect. I have already went into hibernation mode for the Midwest winter and its still in the 80s here in Chicago. I went over to see my mother just a few hours ago and she says "boy, you are looking rough" and thats only 3 weeks without shaving...

So my mom works for an organic farmer/nursery and she just called me. Supposedly a regular customer that comes there all the time to buy veggies just stopped by with a huge box of "leather making" stuff wanting to know if anyone was interested in it. Supposedly it belonged to someone she knew that passed away that was into leather working. This could potentially be a gold mine. Cant wait to get such said box and see whats in it...

Sorry, Had to tell someone :)

So my mom works for an organic farmer/nursery and she just called me. Supposedly a regular customer that comes there all the time to buy veggies just stopped by with a huge box of "leather making" stuff wanting to know if anyone was interested in it. Supposedly it belonged to someone she knew that passed away that was into leather working. This could potentially be a gold mine. Cant wait to get such said box and see whats in it...

Sorry, Had to tell someone :)

Hopefully it's not just a bunch of tanning equipment....

No doubt. But from the very brief conversation I had with my mom, since she was working, There are fixed blade knives, stamps and "got a costumer bye"... So at the very least I have a box of knives and stamps...

What do you use to create border-lines like on this? A creaser seems too thin, but I'm not sure.

Use a groover:

02.jpg

leather. other than that, get an awl, straight edge, some needles, thread and a knife. work with those tools for a while, and if you enjoy it get an edge beveler, an overstitch wheel and a groover. If you do a search, I'm pretty sure I put a long list in either this thread or the leathergoods thread a couple years ago with more detailed info