Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

eric, haven't heard from you in three weeks :( making me sad man

not sure what you're talking about- the pm you sent concerning designs nov 1st? got a lot going on right now, not much time to teach unfortunately. my best advice is to look at pictures, reverse engineer, and design your own stuff- start small.

Finn- thanks a ton, means a lot! I wouldn't sell anything just yet- still learning how to sew.

not sure what you're talking about- the pm you sent concerning designs nov 1st? got a lot going on right now, not much time to teach unfortunately. my best advice is to look at pictures, reverse engineer, and design your own stuff- start small.

Finn- thanks a ton, means a lot! I wouldn't sell anything just yet- still learning how to sew.

i've actually been emailing you about a wallet. you last emailed me on the 25th of october.

so my KC wallet hardware broke. anyone able to help me? i dont know if i lost a piece or what but the reign doesnt stay attached to the wallet because the loop piece came undone from. hope the pics make more sense than my description...

[IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

please help me

so my KC wallet hardware broke. anyone able to help me? i dont know if i lost a piece or what but the reign doesnt stay attached to the wallet because the loop piece came undone from. hope the pics make more sense than my description...

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

please help me

Get a replacement for the rein hook, not that difficult to change, a screw driver will do the works.

Hi,

Been trawling this thread these past few days and just wanted to say it’s been really inspiring and motivating to see your guys work but also how you’re going about things. Aesthetically I’m into slightly different things but still it’s really interesting to see how other people are approaching it + you guys seem around my age (20’s to 30’s) instead of the “slightly†older leatherworker found elsewhere on the net.

John, your stuff looks real good, certainly stuff to be pleased with, you planning on oiling the undyed pieces? Can’t really offer any specific tips/critiques other than to join the army of leatherworkers regularly practising to hopefully one day slay the almighty & masterful hermès. Corter, quite a few pages back there was talk about stitching horses etc. to hold the leather whilst you go to work on the stitching. I use something called a stitching clam that could possibly be right up your street if you can get hold of one that side of the atlantic.

Anyhow, pictures always add spice to a post, these are two “hats†I made for two of my awl’s a few days back, the 43mm and the scratch awl, handstitched in my go-to stitch length of 10 per inch. I’m trying to think of a variation I can make for my curved awls but my mind hasn’t blessed me with a solution just yet. (hopefully the image will show)

mytwohats.jpg

Anyways, looking forward to see how this thread progress’s, bye

R.B. the undyed/ natural set have not been treated ,I make it for a friend who dont know anything about leather and put some cheap spray shoe protector on , before i even have the time to tell him to oil it.

I'm curious to see the result ...will see when i meet him .

By the way the little belt loop/key holder got treated with aussie leather conditioner and sun tanned a bit , it age really well will post pics soon.

The little ''hat'' for the tool are pretty nice, i was wondering what to use to protect my tool, ..think i'm gonna make some of these.

Thats what i like about this thread it's very inspiring.

handstitched in my go-to stitch length of 10 per inch.

Nice to see such fine hand stitching. Do you eyeball that or do you have a pricking wheel or overstitching wheel for that? I have been trying to find some higher stitching count markers. PM me a link if you know of a place to get one. Tandy does not seem to carry anything over a 7.

Looks like you have got some nicer awls than tandy sells. Are you familiar with Bob Douglas tools?

Hey,

John, I’m sure the shoe protector stuff will wear off over time, but like you say its going to be interesting to see what happens. Its going to age and change no matter what, that’s the beauty and curse of tannin tanned leather. The wallet below looks good too, it holding up well in day to day life? The hats work well, you should defiantly have a bash at some, be interesting to see what design and style of hat you come up with!

Ihatebrianwilliams, yer I use a pricking iron for the 10spi stuff (the tool is classed as 10spi but actually the gap between each stitch is 2.7mm) though I have a pricking wheel carriage and wheels for other stuff at different spi’s. Tbh I think your going to find it hard to get hold of one in America simply because it isn’t a traditional tool in American leathercraft, you guys seem to use the overstitch wheels or the chisel like stitching tool things. On my internet travels though I have come across an American place called siegels of California that seems to import Dixon stuff, that could be a place to start the search. I have this book about leathertools from the 1700’s to the 1950’s and its unbelievable the amount of tools they had available back then compared to what we have now.

Oh and bob Douglas tools, ive heard them referenced to on other forums (the big leatherworker one) with high regard but frankly as I generally stick to traditional European methods I generally stick with European tools so that’s as much as I know about them sadly.

Hollows, looking real good. I know this is against the grain with the superfuture mass(considering the leather evolution thread) but I prefer veg tan leather when its nice and creamy like that rather to when its aged, tanned and stuff.

Anyways, have fun, bye

hey corter, thanks for the welcome. I’ve come across your work before, I think on the freeman blog and I must say I do like how you’re going about things, building your empire, its inspiring for a guy like me trying to find a footing for his own little empire to start building foundations on. That hide looks a beast though, going to make some nice belts that stuff.

Anyway it’s a new day here, im going to get started on some work, bye.