Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Corter -

Sorry for shitting up this thread, but I've emailed you a couple times and tried PMing you (your inbox is full) about a possible order. What's the best way to be in touch?

+1

haven't heard back from you in a while again man :(

Hey,

There’s some nice work going on in this thread as always!. Jigrushable, nice work! The leather you’ve used for it, veg or chrome tanned? Also it sounds like a nice collection of machines you’ve got! Blacap – the stitching in that last picture looks super tidy!

Anyways, I don’t know about you guys but my favourite activity in the whole leatherworking thing is prototyping and working on new stuff. I’ve been thinking about this little case/pouch thing for a fair while and I finally got round to bashing out the first prototype; handstitched at 8spi and a fair proportion of it hand pared. Proportions are a bit off, it’s slightly bigger than it should be and I didn’t do enough paring but I learnt a ton of stuff from it.

prototype1.jpg

prototype2.jpg

Anyways, keep up the inspiring work all, ciao

Great work R.B.! Work looks really clean. I like the design! I'll try to post some of my hand-made stuff here too. I've only done camera straps for my daughter though. Also, my neighbor does handmade shoes, and though it's DIY (like me, he does everything from pattern making to sewing etc.) I don't know if I can put it in this thread, so just let me know.

I just did a quick wiki of veg and chrome tan, and it said that if I soak it in hot water and let it dry and it cracks, it's veg tan. So I did it with a swatch of leather and it cracked. I don't know if that's good or not.

I would absolutely love to see some handmade shoes, Jig.

Excellent stuff both Jig and RB, very cool to have some new posters in the thread.

Nice to know new users are welcome here!

robynn-7.jpg

robynn-1_0.jpg

robynn-6.jpg

robynn-2.jpg

Beautiful! What leather? I love the color.

Thanks for more pics, they're just fine. Love the zipper on that.... very nice man!

img3205ta.jpg

I'm actually going to replace them with leather pullers :)

more canvas. Been doing lots of leather, but nothing really new lately.

5247382176_d587c1900b_z.jpg

I did a smaller rivet for the pockets, and then a leather washer of sorts that I double punched out of scrap. Should look nice when it's darkened a bit.

Nice, can you post a close-up view of the canvas? I've been wanting to make canvas bags but don't know what to use.

Here is what my neighbor Jay, who is a full time shoemaker, is making for me:

tumblrlbo5k293md1qbzwcq.jpg

He said it will be finished soon, I'm excited! He said he's done lasting and next is attaching the sole.

does anyone know where to source the brass or nickel fish hook style key chain? anyone ever dealt with a foundry to make custom metal pieces???

This guy has them all the time, but this link is just to one of his auctions. Check the rest of his listings, and if you don't see what you like, just ask him. He is usually very good with responding to customers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WHOLESALE-LOTS-Brass-15-x-Nickel-15-Multiple-FISHHOOK-/320627309510?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa6e07bc6

I have a circle cutter that I found in japan town at the $1.50 store, it's basically a compas with a blade instead of a pencil.

If you do it with a blade, cut 1/2 to 1/3 first time, then come back and cut through all the way. Then sand the edges. Thats how I solved it...

Heres a new wallet inspired by WWII bomber jackets-

bomber+wallet.jpg

I have a circle cutter that I found in japan town at the $1.50 store, it's basically a compas with a blade instead of a pencil.

If you do it with a blade, cut 1/2 to 1/3 first time, then come back and cut through all the way. Then sand the edges. Thats how I solved it...

Heres a new wallet inspired by WWII bomber jackets-

bomber+wallet.jpg

Really nice wallet dude!

is this a patch or it is leather that you have painted?