Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

unlucky- are you sewing by machine? only reason I ask is that on the pictures from your blog there are walking foot marks. What machine are you using? I'm very interested in machines, as I've never used one- I'm interested in your experiences with em.

Does anyone know where I would be able to get me one of these? Or at least something similar?

fh_wallet_tan_01_03.jpg

The only thing even similar to that that I've seen available without a wallet attached is from Funny, here:

http://leathertools.jp/?pid=6805653

http://leathertools.jp/?pid=9223797

And they're quite expensive. Some day I'm going to get into silversmithing so I can make my own.

That'd take you at least a whole day to make by hand.

Whereas you can find a moldmaker nearby, make a model in maybe a couple hours at the most, pay a nominal fee for the moldmaking and per-piece thereafter for very little.

I'm tight with a lot of jewelry makers. Something even very small takes hours and hours to form and file if you can't automate the process. Cleaning up a cast only takes a few minutes from a good cast. Very cheap.

unlucky- are you sewing by machine? only reason I ask is that on the pictures from your blog there are walking foot marks. What machine are you using? I'm very interested in machines, as I've never used one- I'm interested in your experiences with em.

Hey Corter, Did you never get that Sailrite? I've got a Neels #5 harness stitcher for doing heavy thread (up to 415). I've got an oid hand crank singer for light stuff. I've got a Singer 111 upholstery machine for medium weight thread (up to 207) and a few others not worth mentioning. I bought them all used and fixed them up myself - kind of like working on bicycle - not that tough. The 111 is the only one with a walking foot.

Sewing machines are great for a lot of stuff but I still end up hand sewing most of my wallets; however, I have been using a sewing machine to punch the holes. Those pressure foot marks you see go away pretty quickly.

The only thing even similar to that that I've seen available without a wallet attached is from Funny, here:

http://leathertools.jp/?pid=6805653

http://leathertools.jp/?pid=9223797

And they're quite expensive. Some day I'm going to get into silversmithing so I can make my own.

Thanks a lot bro. Yeah when you get into silver smithing tell me I'll buy these darn things from you haha

ah cool! yea, I never got the machine- just isn't really my deal right now, but I'm really interested in them. Thats really cool, work looks good!

Whatever you do, don't buy a Sailrite. They are a rip off and not very good sewing machines.

Ah...since we are at this, we finally got some time to take some pics of our reliable SINGER 188K sewing machine.

Serving the leather community for 3 generations, it is still going strong through oiling and maintenance. Used to sewing leather boots in the past, now it serves us dutifully on our leathercrafts.

singer-188k-1.jpg

singer-188k-2.jpg

singer-188k-4.jpg

singer-188k-5.jpg

singer-188k-6.jpg

singer-188k-3.jpg

Here's my #5 and 111. This 111 ran around the clock in a local upholstery shop for many many years. I got it with the table and motor for 100 bucks. I cleaned it, oiled it, turned it on, and it took right off. A few adjustments later, and I had a perfect stitch. These are amazing machines!

P7020399.jpg

P7020398.jpg

my second sewing project.

Good Start, blacap :)

Here my updates,

Workwear Long Trucker Wallet, inspired by RW 877. Triple stitchings and matching brown colour.

WX220Brown20Long20Wallet201.jpg

WX220Brown20Long20Wallet2011.jpg

WX220Brown20Long20Wallet209.jpg

Workwear Lite version, Mid Wallet

WX220Lite20Mid20Wallet201.jpg

MX Short wallet, made for my lady with her name stamped for a personal touch :)

MXShortWallet1.jpg

MXShortWallet6.jpg

Black Studded Bracelet

Heroes20Bracelet201.jpg

Olympus PEN EP-1 strap and lugg kit

PEN20Veg20Tan20Neck20Strap20and20Lu.jpg

Anybody have any tips on card pockets in more complex wallets? I've done a fair share of card holders and small items for friends and would like to move onto wallets, but I can't seem to wrap my head around a good way to work pockets into my design.

The only way I can figure to keep cards in place and not slide down is to stitch each stacked pocket on the bottom to the inside portion of the wallet then stitch the outside edges of the inside piece to the shell of the wallet. It looks somewhat sloppy, but admittedly, my stitching needs a lot of work.

Anybody have any tips on card pockets in more complex wallets? I've done a fair share of card holders and small items for friends and would like to move onto wallets, but I can't seem to wrap my head around a good way to work pockets into my design.

The only way I can figure to keep cards in place and not slide down is to stitch each stacked pocket on the bottom to the inside portion of the wallet then stitch the outside edges of the inside piece to the shell of the wallet. It looks somewhat sloppy, but admittedly, my stitching needs a lot of work.

show some pics, i believe a lot of those who is experience will share some thoughts.

PEN20Veg20Tan20Neck20Strap20and20Lu.jpg

I'm gonna need to get me a nice strap for my Canon 10D one of these days...

In other news...

I really like the idea of getting an untanned/dyed leather strap for my Tissot T-touch, and watching it age over the rest of my time in Uganda. Unfortunately it seems like in order for anyone to custom make it, they'd need an actual Tissot watch-strap to base it off of, which I'm obviously in no place to provide. Anyone have any ideas?

You can stitch them if you want, however if you use a 3-4oz leather they'll stay in place without it, so you won't need it.

I'm gonna need to get me a nice strap for my Canon 10D one of these days...

In other news...

I really like the idea of getting an untanned/dyed leather strap for my Tissot T-touch, and watching it age over the rest of my time in Uganda. Unfortunately it seems like in order for anyone to custom make it, they'd need an actual Tissot watch-strap to base it off of, which I'm obviously in no place to provide. Anyone have any ideas?

replied over PM, dkatz!

You just need the width...

Really? But what about the shape of the joint where the strap connects to the case? It would look kinda funky if the strap was squared off and the joint on the case has some shape to it - does that make sense?

See how there's some shape to where the strap meets the case:

tissot01.jpg

replied over PM, dkatz!

Replied to your reply!