Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Awesome camera case James. What are the prices on that mid length wallet? I got the itch for another mid length!

Edit, Found the prices up on your site already. I just my have to pull the trigger on one of these...

Thanks Mike, PMed :)

What weight of leather are you all using on wallets and other compact items? I'm getting back into leathercrafting using some 3-4oz I picked up from Tandy and my first simple pouch/card holder was over a quarter inch thick without anything in it, even a small wallet would be double that.

What weight of leather are you all using on wallets and other compact items? I'm getting back into leathercrafting using some 3-4oz I picked up from Tandy and my first simple pouch/card holder was over a quarter inch thick without anything in it, even a small wallet would be double that.

This is one of the challenges. You have to strike a balance with each project.

I use 2-3oz for the inside bits of most wallets, but you still need to design everything with overall thickness in mind. A clever design can make a wallet thin without sacrificing (too much) function, or durable without gaining (too much) thickness.

I use 5 oz for shells and 3-4 oz for everything else. Though sometimes I use 6 oz for shells, and sometimes I use 4 oz for everything. Design is most important, you can figure out how to make anything thin by designing it well.

Here's a new belt style I tried out! Hand cut, hand set rivets, double stitching, al that good stuff.

4540773475_a295a0cdf3.jpg

4541397686_3aeb02e556.jpg

and a really special project. A customer, Joe, sent me a wallet his brother had given him about 7 years ago, I believe it was made in Spain. His brother had originally planned to keep it, so he had me remake it as closely as I could to give to him. It came out almost identical, I'm very happy with it.

4526644326_d7b05f3cec.jpg

4526644526_3f89c01c2d.jpg

Scrap Leather Coasters:

4521206652_b484c993c2.jpg

6" trifold, very much a workhorse utility piece. Has 12 card slots, bill slot, holds a moleskin and has 4 receipt/bill slots. Only 1/2" thick, too.

4535705105_057f47bfc6.jpg

4536339204_c0e9856d45.jpg

A couple of the 100 day project things:

4533691300_4e6873d2cf.jpg

4527214944_f60b9248f0.jpg

4536431495_8e73936634.jpg

Thanks for the advice hollow & corter – I think I’m getting a little ahead of myself and shooting for the moon a bit trying to make things above my current skill level.

Corter, that’s a really nice touch with the circle stitching on the ring belt – good solution to keep the grain out all the way around.

Michael's has Tandy leather lace, cord, and scrap bags in half-pound to five-pound increments. It's under $10 a pound, and that's a lot of leather.

I or anyone else could get you some, but you'd be happier yet to have a bunch for repairs or other small projects. Some of the pieces can be quite large, I had a couple that were almost two square feet.

6" trifold, very much a workhorse utility piece. Has 12 card slots, bill slot, holds a moleskin and has 4 receipt/bill slots. Only 1/2" thick, too.

4535705105_057f47bfc6.jpg

4536339204_c0e9856d45.jpg

I really love this.

corter when do you usually post up the new 100 days items? Every time I check the site the item is always sold out already :(

Anyone have scrap leather that I can use to tie to my backpack zippers? Perhaps dark, thin leather strips that I can tie into loops/knots. I will gladly pay for the shipping and any additional costs.

Please PM

Bought a bag of tandy's scrap leather laces for this exact purpose.

I really love this.

corter when do you usually post up the new 100 days items? Every time I check the site the item is always sold out already :(

Seriously last few days there were several items I wanted but it always seems like it's sold out immediately. and I try to regularly refresh the page from 7-10PM... bah.

any chance you'll add some of those pieces as permanent items in your shop? obviously you can adjust the price to what you think is appropriate.

Thanks guys~I try my best to stagger, and I'm going to work harder to do so,though I've usually been posting around midnight EST. I figure it's the best way to give east coast, west coast, and europe/asian countries a fair shot, because most people are kinda awake. Either way, no matter when I post the item it's gone within 2 minutes, it's really quite something.

Zenii- I'll be adding some versions of things in future collections. This whole project is a brainstorming thing, getting the creative juices flowing, so I'm sure I'll be making more of some of the things!

Here's another picture of the trifolds, the order was for 2 whole setups. It was lots and lots of leather, enough to make 3 bifolds per wallet!

4547541826_fbe500dd83.jpg

anyone know of any good simple patterns?

It's always best to make things with an original design. It's more personal that way. Play around with construction paper and look at other wallets to help with measurements.

One thing to remember is that the outside piece is usually about a half inch longer than the inside piece because of the fold.

Introducing...........The Partytime collection

IMG_4589.jpg

IMG_4574.jpg

IMG_4576.jpg

IMG_4356.jpg

Rabbit fur. Temporary upgrade not currently in action I'm playing around with the idea that sleeves can be temporary as well. This garment has already eliminated most of my need for a wardrode. It's time to upgrade it to a vest for the summer. partytime.

IMG_4603.jpg

IMG_4609.jpg

IMG_4611.jpg

Leather Buttons

IMG_4618.jpg

Corter,

I am very supportive of the barter project. You are welcome to test out a trial run to Hartford. You should come camping with me and a few friends. You can teach us how to sew and we can teach you how to go. Trade camping recipes and pro tips.

We can share with you what we have learned about the art of blending and go blends. Different mixes of nutrients that promote going and productivity. It's still a collection of evolving concepts but I bet you could add some insight.

Just finished a wallet, but any tips on finishing the edges, theyre really rough right now :o

For me, edges are like the slippery slope of insanity. The more time you spend on them, the nicer they'll be.

There are tools for rounding the corners, but you can also sand, burnish, wax, or oil them. I dare you not to become a little bit obsessed.