Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

I'm glad I took your guys' advice on Royal Meadow vs W&C. I picked up a side of RM today, and it's damn close to the quality of the Euro single bends. I also received a set of swatches from W&C, and that stuff feels like cardboard in comparison.

The RM is currently on sale for about $7.50/sqft, and the Euro Single bends were $10-15/sqft!

Corter, that tote looks amazing! I bought some black digi camo to use for linings, etc, a while back but never ended up using it. Inspiring me to use it on some backpacks or something. Also, wish I could use oil cloth for bagss, but it gums up my machine. Anyone have the same problem It seems like a common problem from what I've read.

anyone recommend a good glove snap? I got some those 10mm glove snaps from Tandy, but I'm having trouble getting the male one to make a solid connection from the stud to the post... Any ideas on a good model about that size maybe from another company?

I'd be interested in knowing a better source for snaps as well.

How do you guys prefer to store your sides of leather when not in use? It seems to make the most sense to store them flat, but space is a bit limited in my house.

I've been wrapping mine in a spare bed sheet and sliding it under the couch :) I have to cut them in half for them to fit, though.

I'm looking for a storage solution too - I'm thinking about one of those under-the-bed style plastic containers but haven't found one long enough.

I just roll mine grain side in and keep them in a dark closet, door closed. keeps them hydrated and away from sun, plus they don't take up a ton of space

Edited by corter

OK, last question for the day, I promise. Someone on here was mentioning they make a balm for burnishing edges, yes? Can someone remind me who that was? I am finding that straight beeswax is much too solid.

Edited by zissou

I do not longer use this receipe since i realized it gives a more "burnt " than "burnished" look to the edges, and i prefer clear, sharp edges, polished with saddle soap, water, and cocobolo burnishing wheel.

However, if you're looking for a dark caramel color, it's a great receipe.

Edited by JoeySullivan

Hi All,

Knocked out a new wallet design. Pretty simple. 2 card pockets that hold 2 cards each, and a larger interior pocket with a divider for bills, other cards etc. Added a little loop in case someone wants to add a lanyard of some sort. All made from 2-3 oz veg tan so it's pretty light/slim for the size. I'll post evolution pics once I have some time using it.

Friday_River_Thornwood_Wallet_Natural_Front.jpg

Friday_River_Thornwood_Wallet_Natural_Open.jpg

Friday_River_Thornwood_Wallet_Natural_Back.jpg

Very nice, corter! I love practical designs like that.

Zissou, you're maybe refering to this joeysullivan post. I want to try his recipe as well :)

Yes, that's it! I think I will make some today. I need something a little softer than straight beeswax.

Son of a.... Maybe I'll just add some neatsfoot to straight beeswax, then. I like to use beeswax to seal edges after burnishing, but I notice that it starts flaking after being used for a bit. So, I think I need something a little softer that will go on a little lighter.

Well, it just occurred to me that maybe I should go with the parrafin/beeswax mix so it doesn't go on so thick. I think that might be my problem. Or, like you said, buff off the excess with some canvas scraps or something. I usually hit it with the slicker, but that doesn't do anything to remove excess. Thanks for the tips.

Yea, i would believe the problem lies in the amount of wax used. Cause a little goes a long way. I'm using a 100% pure beeswax chunk for my burnish and i buff the edges off with a cloth. No problems here.

Haha.! Wouldnt know about how it behaves in winter since im from singapore.!

You can use Fiebing's Aussie Leather Conditioner if you have the flaking problem. It's a creme with bee's wax and is formulated for extreme hot and cold weather. Doesn't affect color much, but apply it after burnishing and it'll really smooth and shine up your edges, keeping them sealed and moisturized like a bar of bee's wax would.

Edit: Personal Tote also all done. Measures 8.5" x about 10", made for lunch/dopp/pencils/whatever might need a case to be put in.

6802856621_969ca2d206_z.jpg

6802856987_c767aabd97_z.jpg

Both Personal and Business together, designed to be big brother/little brother I guess

6802857255_678e04edfd_z.jpg

Edited by corter

I'll keep an eye out for the Aussie Leather Conditioner, corter.

Thinking more about waxes, parrafin is harder than beeswax, but I think it has a lower melting point. So, when mixed half and half with beeswax, the parrafin (along with a bit of neatsfoot oil) should help help the waxes penetrate the leather better. I could be talking out of my ass here, but I am going to give it a try anyway. Hollows' edges using joey's recipe look mighty fine to me.

Isn't there something like this way of mixing 50/50 paraffin and beeswax and dripping it into water, while liquid and then moulding it, while it's still quite warm? It should make a nice soft, pliable wax.

I remember hearing about this technique from some old man, that does leatherwork.

I've had so little time to do leatherwork, that I've had to start from scratch basically.

Here are some card cases, that I made. Nothing revolutionary, but they are quite popular, but it still feels crappy, when looking at all the amazing stuff, that Corter is putting out!

6804587243_9c52a7921e_z.jpg

ATD - læder by tuntelder, on Flickr

(Iphone pics, sorry)