Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Hi guys, this is a offtopic question... but where do you guys get canvas from(something similar to corter canvas bag material)? Is there any onlineshop or something that stock canvas and ship to Singapore..

Looking to make some canvas bag....

Thanks

This place has pretty awesome stuff. Low minimum orders too!

http://www.waxwear.com/

Hello PYC people,

First I must thank you for all the usefull tips. I read through this thread from the start and it is a goldmine for any aspiring leathercrafter. I've been lurking for a while and I will try to humbly contribute even though I'm new to leathercraft and slowly learning.

Here's a key fob I did this afternoon :

img_4981.jpg

Edited by Dominion

I pretty much blindly went about trying to make a wallet. After a year, I was making better wallets.

looks like thats what i will be doing also then. couple questiosn

what size leathers did you use for the diffrent parts of the wallets?

what are the basic tools every leather worker needs?

and theres no where to get leather around me, where can i get a reasonable price on a small order of leather online?

you should try Tandy Leather.

they also have like a beginner / starter tool kit & leather for end customers.

4/5oz for outer shell might be the right size. and 2/3oz for interior construction.

Couple new wallets. First is drum dyed tan horween veg tan:

IMG_7107.JPG

IMG_7112.JPG

For some reason the burnish looks wierd, may be the adjustments I made to the photos?

Next is brown cxl outside, inside is veg tan cow and pig.

IMG_7086.JPG

IMG_7115.JPGI really like the veg tan pig pockets. Really gives a totally different feel.

Finished a little Horse and Pig wallet myself.

The Horse has a some really nice grain coming out too. First time with Pig skin. Very stiff and I think will work and hold up really well as the inside leather...

stocking0070.jpg

stocking0068.jpg

stocking0071.jpg

stocking0072.jpg

I like the mix. What machine are you using? There's a compound walking foot for sale near me and I'm really considering it.

I use a JUKI LU-563 from the late 80s. Its great for anything flat, but shows its limitations on bags making me want a cylinder or post bed machine. If your want to make larger stuff, its a game changer. I would pick one up if its within your budget and you have the room, they are fun to have around and tinker on. Im about to move my shop across town and am not looking forward to moving it though...

I finally had a chance to work on my biker wallet design. It is hard to take such a simplistic design. and try to put your own spin on it.

this is also the first time i used a sewing machine and a zipper on one of my own designs :) (just the zipper is machine sewn)

I am really stoked about this wallet

6743906211_c9cb21e18f_z.jpg

6743906367_7ffd812b8b_z.jpg

I also got a chance to finalize my card wallet design

6743906995_3d792106ab_z.jpg

6743906717_a9e0e51060_z.jpg

and all my work for this week

6743907411_9f3c9bec52_z.jpg

I use a JUKI LU-563 from the late 80s. Its great for anything flat, but shows its limitations on bags making me want a cylinder or post bed machine. If your want to make larger stuff, its a game changer. I would pick one up if its within your budget and you have the room, they are fun to have around and tinker on. Im about to move my shop across town and am not looking forward to moving it though...

Yeah, seems like nothing short of a dedicated machine (like those Cobras, holy god) will come close to a hand stitch in look. Walking foot is a good compromise, I want to get back to sewing jeans and start in on some canvas bags.

I just ran into the girl to whom I sold my Singer 31-36. Selling it made sense because I didn't want it to influence my decisions on where to move to but golly do I miss it.

3223480549_9cc93aab9c_z.jpg

Thanks Nic and Friday!

well Mr. Hollows, the feeling is mutual! I do own a wallet from you lol!

if i didn't covet other peoples leather work or handmade stuff.....i would not be doing this.

I love buying handmade quality shit, be it a bad ass pair of Aldens or Wescos,

or a cool ring from Fine Light Trading. i am just a fan and nerd about this stuff.

Finished up my smaller everydaycarry-bag:

6736923069_3f1aeb6c41_z.jpg

Still got a lot to learn, stitching got better after I bought a proper hammer-thing to make 8 and 8 holes.

I think my next project is a few leather wallets and similar items, don't think my fingertips can take another large project just yet.

You never know - everyone has a different idea of the perfect wallet. I know a couple people that pack that light ... cards and a few bucks in one pocket, phone in the other. You could always make a couple and see how it goes. It looks cool regardless.

Well, no one suggested a different saddle clamp or convinced me not to get one, so I ended up getting the Vergez Blanchard saddle clamp anyways. I'm still slowly getting the hang of sewing a piece together, but after lot of practice, it'll be worth it. If some of you don't know what a saddle clamp is, it's in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fHYcnrSie8

I think Vergez Blanchard makes the clamps for Hermes too.