N. Hoolywood - S/S 2008 - After Sputnik

djrajio

In my opinion, the best spring/summer 2008 collection out of Tokyo. Daisuke Obana hit all the trends for men for the spring/summer right on the nose: The use of soft/pastel colors alongside bold colors, the neo-futurism/retro-futurism trend ala Raf Simons, Burberry, et. al., the use of techno fabrics/nylons & technical garments, and the love affair w/ Americana mid-1950s and 1960s, especially the nerdy-engineer. Plus the biggest trend, BIG technical backpacks in bold colors. This collection was my favorite.

01ro9.jpg

02qm1.jpg

03ro2.jpg

04xz2.jpg

06hj9.jpg

07dn8.jpg

08mm5.jpg

09il3.jpg

10xc9.jpg

I'm not a big fan of their runway stuff this season. I've always liked their basics (like that grey hoodie) and the compile line.

Their collection / runway pieces are like impossible to find for some reason.

Their stock gets killed super fast.

I saw a fashion magazine at book 1st.

It was really interesting b/c it had snaps of the people who attended the tokyo collection runway shows.

The JLS and N. Hooly pics were really good. My style inspiration...

Also, the recent WWD issue on Obana was A+.

You heard about the Hankyu Men's-Kan Quadrophenia, right?

4 way collabo between N. Hooly, UC, HG, and NN.

HYPE MACHINE

Yeah, I read that article. Did you see the Diet Butcher Slim Skin collection? Its a total reversal from their prior stuff but amazing. I loved the morocaan themed looks. I think the best collections out of Tokyo this year were JLS (as you stated), N. Hoolywood, and Diet Butcher Slim Skin. Didn't hear about the 4-way collab, but I figure it'll just be some basics w/ all the designers logos plastered on them...

Crazy shit. I should scan my work from RISD last summer in the fashion program, it's remarkably similiar to a lot of this. Nearly identical in a couple of places, although nowhere close in others, obviously. I was working on a collection based on space-flight and russian suprematism, so the colors and forms here seem to be going in a similiar direction.

Needless to say, I like it.

Hmm, I'm actually really liking this a lot. My fav pieces are probs the very first suit, love the color and the cut of it, very well done, the orange blazer, silver hats, blue moto jacket, lots of the pants (cut again is very good) and lots of the ties/accessories. Anywhere sold in the US? Or will I need a proxy...

It's highly unlikely that a proxy can get you any of the items above.

First of all, most of their good stuff (including the basics e.g. Levi's NH517, Lee x NH jackets and pants) is flagship exclusive. Unless you know exactly what you want, you wouldn't be able to get it.

Also, their stock rotates quickly. A huge heap of denim you find today can be gone the next day. I remember seeing N. Hooly Dunk Hi's but they were all gone the next day.

The runway pieces sell out instantly. Your best bet is yahoo auction.

They don't have launch dates.

The items just "trickle" in.

Tees usually have release dates. i recall that the compile line suit had an approximate release date but it got delayed and fucked everyone over.

I like it. I kinda want to become a computer tech just so i can buy a few of the outfits. I like some of the suits, sweaters, and slacks. What are prices like?

Crazy shit. I should scan my work from RISD last summer in the fashion program, it's remarkably similiar to a lot of this. Nearly identical in a couple of places, although nowhere close in others, obviously. I was working on a collection based on space-flight and russian suprematism, so the colors and forms here seem to be going in a similiar direction.

Needless to say, I like it.

servo2000, reading minds of the fashion world since feb 2006.

haha, i keed i keed

i like it.

the suits are great

anyone know the sizing on them? i know lad musician is usually tiny, but you never know, lines are always expanding.

i found out that lad makes jackets in sz. 48. 46 fits me though. it's just that they choose not to make big sizes. i dont think they are necessarily cut slim.

i derailed.

i don't know about the suit sizing but the range of sizes available is quite impressive.

for denim, the smallest is like a 25 or 26 and they run up to 33 or 34 in 1 inch interval. same thing applies to their hoodies and basics.

btw, i just found the backpack from the upcoming season in the feb. issue of HUGE.

it's 71600 yen. that's ridiculous. at least it's not as expensive as an undercover one