Red Moon wallet ripoff

minya

Quote:

hey minya, how does it fit in your pocket? i love the design but it looks pretty massive

--- Original message by lyingonyourdriveway on Feb 26, 2006 03:18 PM

It's not that large, actually... probably 5" tall by 3.5" wide (just estimating) and although it was very thick at the beginning, when the leather was stiff and not bending much, it's been worn in and now is probably about 3/4" to 1" thick.

Definitely not a small wallet though. Makes for a great back pocket fade.

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:

Well, I rubbed neatsfoot oil into it, which darkened the leather considerably. It's also very indigo stained from being in my jeans back pocket. Funny you should ask, I just took some new pictures:

http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/7273/w14hd.jpg

http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/19/w29va.jpg

I might make one out of ostrich leather, which has a very cool look to it because of the feather holes.

--- Original message by minya on Oct 26, 2005 10:59 AM

Looks really nice, Minya, good work. Looks like you did really well with the stitching.

Have you thought about ostrich leg instead of full-quill ostrich? The ostrich leg has a kind of short and wide scale pattern - IMO, it's the nicest exotic skin other than croc/alligator.

I've always thought that quill ostrich nubs were a little odd-looking - again, IMO.

I still have 2 left for sale. I've actually had some interest but kind of dropped the ball and never responded. If you're interested in buying, please contact me again. I swear not to be a flake again this time.

I hope to tweak the design this summer and maybe make something else entirely.. I dunno.

• 1 month later...

So I ended up making my own Red Moon rip off. I don't know anything about leather craft and the leather craft stores near me all closed down. I found this piece of scrap leather at work and I thought I'd give it a try. I made a few mistakes with it, so half way through I just rushed it. I'm going to look into getting some saddle leather and try it again since the leather I used was way too soft and I learned from the mistakes of making this one.

wallet6zq.jpg

www.youngestincharge.com

Quote:

Minya, do you make the complete leather chain, clip and wallet?

--- Original message by DJ_Flame on May 4, 2006 07:13 AM

nope... all my leatherworking stuff is at home in Cali. I'm going home later this summer, I might try my hand at making some new stuff when I'm back....

• 1 month later...