Red Moon wallet ripoff

minya

So, I'm sure most people who've looked at those oft-referenced "holy grail" Eternal 811 jeans have noticed that the dude who wore them carried a Red Moon wallet. Red Moon appears to be, as far as I can tell, an extremely overpriced Japanese leather accessory maker. The wallet in question costs, from Red Moon, $250! Sorry, it ain't worth that much! Especially since nearly everything Red Moon makes is just ripping off Native American stuff anyway.

So I wanted this wallet, because it was nice and chunky and had a badass snap, so I went to a local leatherworking store, bought a couple tools, some cheap, cheap leather, and started working.

Here's the result:

http://img399.imageshack.us/my.php?image=w15ik.jpg

http://img399.imageshack.us/my.php?image=w28ia.jpg

Overall it was pretty easy to make. The pattern was easy enough, and it took one somewhat botched prototype to point out a couple initial mistakes, but I've got most of the problems ironed out. Only differences between mine and Red Moon's: instead of an Indian head snap, it's a 5-cent buffalo nickel snap; I don't have the zipper pocket in mine; mine doesn't look as polished or refined.

Now I just need to either stain it or oil it. I think I'm going to just rub oil into it, since I love the way well-oiled leather looks (and feels).

What do you guys think?

Quote:

Don't do the bleach pen!! A branding would look way cooler IMO. Btw that's really cool.

Maybe you could heat up a coin or something metal with a cool pattern. I dunno.

ps. cool

--- Original message by meditation on Aug 30, 2005 07:54 PM

Don't worry, I didn't do the bleach pen on this wallet, just on some leather scraps icon_smile.gif

Really good idea about the heated coin -- not sure if I could get things hot enough to really make an impression, but that's a great idea. I might try it, or something similar.

Quote:

What would you say the total cost was on all the materials? + how long did it take?

--- Original message by whynotmakeboth on Aug 30, 2005 11:50 PM

Probably $20 or so in materials. Maybe a little more.

It takes about 3 days, maybe 4, to go from pattern to wallet now that I've got the pattern down pretty well.

we have leather shops here that build custom products as well as ready made ones. Its the first time i hear that its possible to buy the raw materials to make your own. Minya, did you learn how to cut and construct on your own or you are a professional? It looks pretty good.

What type of leathers do you recommend for leather wallets like that and messenger bag styled that can fit A4 sized documents? What leather did you use for yours?

Quote:

we have leather shops here that build custom products as well as ready made ones. Its the first time i hear that its possible to buy the raw materials to make your own. Minya, did you learn how to cut and construct on your own or you are a professional? It looks pretty good.

What type of leathers do you recommend for leather wallets like that and messenger bag styled that can fit A4 sized documents? What leather did you use for yours?

--- Original message by magicclean on Aug 31, 2005 01:08 AM

I made it with my father, who's worked with leather for a long time. He did most of the cutting, and I did most of the pattern-making and sewing.

Most leather specialty stores will sell you raw leather. I just bought scraps, not even "good" quality leather, which made my end price even cheaper.

For this wallet, I would recommend completely unfinished cowhide, which is stiff and inflexible. Saddle leather is good for this purpose. I bought some more treated cowhide, though, which is a lot more flexible than the leather the wallet in the pictures is made of, so I'm going to make another and see how that turns out. For a messenger bag, you want very high quality leather, and that's going to take a lot more work with both the pattern and construction than a wallet.

alej: No, I made the pattern myself, using pictures from the online shops that sell the wallet icon_smile_wink.gif

Edited by minya on Aug 31, 2005 at 11:12 AM

• 1 month later...

Well, I rubbed neatsfoot oil into it, which darkened the leather considerably. It's also very indigo stained from being in my jeans back pocket. Funny you should ask, I just took some new pictures:

http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/7273/w14hd.jpg

http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/19/w29va.jpg

I might make one out of ostrich leather, which has a very cool look to it because of the feather holes.

Quote:

that looks gangsta...

where did you get the wallet chain from, btw?

all the ones I see in the store are plated so they eventually turn this copper colour....

--- Original message by triniboy27 on Oct 26, 2005 11:12 AM

It's a double chain. It looks cool but it's kind of a pain in the ass. I took it from a Parcel wallet I paid $18 for.

I think I'm going to take it off soon (it's going to get freezing cold during the winter) and just leave it off or replace it with a handmade leather one.

Oh yeah, and it's hard to see from the pic but the snap is a welded buffalo nickel...

Edited by minya on Oct 26, 2005 at 12:00 PM

there's a D&G double braided leather wallet strap/keychain in holts right now for $250 but that's way too much for something that I feel that I can make myself...cept I can't

(lol)..because i have no idea how to attach the leather to the metal clips, etc.

There's also a leather Duffer of St. George one up on Oki-ni as well..

Lemme know how yours comes out...i'd be really interested to see.

Peace.

• 3 months later...