Red Moon wallet ripoff

minya

I know I'm a bit late, but does anyone know where I can find a wallet that looks like the ones discussed.

I don't want the long type and I already contacted the guy from LeatherGoodsConnection, but he replyed to me that he doesn't ship to The Netherlands because of Amsterdam :confused: ???

miz knows of a guy who specializes in leather goods and could make custom orders. in fact, miz carries around a red moon replica made by this guy now. you should pm him for more info.

wow just saw this, really cool. i want one!
as much as I love my HR-01 as a wallet, I'm starting to hate it for being a backpocket accessory. You have to go through a certain.... postural adjustment.. in order to use it, and my posture is already terrible as it is :P

next week, im going to get started on my own wallet i think... didnt it kill your fingers with all that hand sewing minya ? how did you get that nickel on the snapper ?

how did you do the bit where the chain attaches to the wallet----the uh... wuzzit-called???

where'd you get the hardware???

Split ring?

w70388904.jpg

Trigger snap?

s70387626.jpg

Jump ring?

w70387624.jpg

or were you referring to Lars' Sam Browne stud?

Superstar see Birch St notions - They have some janky looking snaps, but offer an imitation buffalo nickle snap (3/4" diameter). Also, for hand sewing leather most people use an awl to prick holes into the leather beforehand.

eta: also on ebay for slightly less

Also, a leather needle will force through better than a regular needle. You can get this at most drug/outdoors stores in a home repair needle pack, usually around US$3 or less. Thimbles are useful, if you don't enjoy pricking the shit out of your thumb.

needles2.jpg

Minya, awesome wallet. Did you wax the thread before adding it to your wallet?

as much as I love my HR-01 as a wallet, I'm starting to hate it for being a backpocket accessory. You have to go through a certain.... postural adjustment.. in order to use it, and my posture is already terrible as it is :P

That's one way of putting it. I can't sit on it for long periods of time. I actually take it off at work.

Where can I get that jump ring, kauflust? I had to force a split ring into the grommet instead (which kinda pinched the leather in the process), but I should've gotten one of these, wish I knew the name of it and where to get it, before I used the ring.

I've only had some luck finding them at craft stores, but usually they are the shitty tiny jewelry kind. Sometimes hardware stores. This site has great examples: http://www.worthco.com/rings/index.html. I really want some triangular jump rings. Your best best is to find old keychains with jump rings that attach the doohickey to the split ring and cannibalize the parts.

Stainless steel is the best. When you open it with pliers, twist them sideways as opposed to pulling it apart. You won't ruin the shape that way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i just ordered my leather and supplies from tandy leather factory, so i am stoked. i've made a couple wallet reins, but have no wallet to use them on except my old ratty one which i hole-punched to use them with, haha. having near no experience with this i have a few questions. i never see knots tying off the ends of the thread! is this a matter of sly positioning of the knots or is there some technique i haven't turned up on the net? what kind of thread have people been using? i have faux sinew, already but i ordered the waxed nylon they use on saddles as that sounded like a good option (the sinew on the wallet reing i made is getting a little fuzzy). here's some pics of the reins:

DSCF1087.jpg

DSCF1089.jpg

this is a bracelet, but it shows the way i will redo the tied ends on the rein of the same leather:

DSCF1097.jpg