australia :: melbourne :: shopping

Tyro1

haha I would of said something but 'hey Tyro, i'm that guy from the internet' seemed inappropriate with the awkward tram silence. next time man, and the Punter's Palace Hotel on smith st is open basically 24hours for the junkies and alcoholics haha, so we have our venue! icon14.gif

so this means I have spotted both Tyro and DJI in the space of 5 days. weird.

p.s. what to cop first:

tumblr_l2chamx59D1qbuedjo1_500.jpg

-OR-

canon5d.jpg

id say CCP due to logical reasoning:

a) you could miss the CCP's and they are a lot rarer than the canon.

B) the canon will drop in value faster than the CCPs, hence by the canon later

c) they're CCPs. period.

come on Rob, I promise no one on here will run out to drop $6K on one to steal your swagger haha. seriously though it's such a rare thing to see a sissy p leather worn well, would love to see pics man. :cool:

I tried to make ban jian kuih last night, it turned out okayish but still nowhere near the real thing. perhaps I should just drown pancakes in golden syrup and crushed peanuts next time haha.

9am eye opener ftw haha. are they the seamless tornadoes Sam? not crazy about them, prefer the regular varieties.

tumblr_l2chamx59D1qbuedjo1_500.jpg

this boot, imo, is considered as one of the "coveted" items in 09. tho, i wont say i am a big fan, because it dint look that great on me, for your height sam, it will look great..

the classic diagonal zip boots are re-issues afaik, which i personally prefer, but boring, yeah.

ouch, that is one hell of a price tag. worth it if you love the design and it suits you me thinks. don't see myself letting myself go anytime soon either haha, that's how I justified the sissy p coat and the _7 leather (even if they only cost the paltry sum of 2K-3K :P). fucking julius better shrink wrap wash their motos next season...

I didn't like how those boots looked on me either Rob, they were also hella uncomfortable for some reason...

good point wept, really need to cop asap. yeah D, the pic I posted was of the seamless from darklands but the alternative below is the version from 'THAT PLACE' which seems less desirable aesthetically but more practical is an everyday sense. The leather on the seamless version just looks beyond amazing.

haha, oh yeah the Punter's Palace, where the beer lines are never warm, and the hounds never stop racing... next time.

with the canon we can start to shoot experimental film, possibly open a warhol-esque factory, right here in collingwood, then girls and jawns will come to us!

hahah Dave, onto it.. and that's one of the main reasons i want to get the 5D - start experimenting with film. then, with your web/media skills and my design/print, it is destined for success and a happy jawn filled future.

no doubt the leather is amazing, found the texture really interesting when I handled them at lift. still think they look awkward when worn but iirc they started to look better with wear? vaguely recall some pics on SZ somewhere of a broken in pair...

The way the leather is smooth arounf the toe and then roughs up around the shaft is amazing (have no idea on the technical speak regarding this. someone care to inform me?). It is similar to the goodyear derbies, the leather around the heel is rough, and the toe box smooth, and it looks incredible.

Those no-seam boots have really grown on me, though I prefer the classic spiral zip. I thought you were going to cop the spirals from you-know-where? (I'm not going to blow the spot, because I'm praying my size will stay around for a little longer).

dont worry ivan..at least for now.. there is another stockist revealed it's availability of this same boot, but sizing, i am uncertain..

no doubt the leather is amazing, found the texture really interesting when I handled them at lift. still think they look awkward when worn but iirc they started to look better with wear? vaguely recall some pics on SZ somewhere of a broken in pair...

hmm, maybe you are right, although the fit pic at komakino does look amazing. that being said, the more I look and compare, the regular version is more timeless and has a stronger silhouette. I think I just made up my mind.

Adam I gathered from all the talk that boots = one size smaller than derbies.

It looks that way, at least from what I've tried on. For some strange reason though, I initially had it in my mind that it was the other way around. I'm glad a decided to fly to melbourne to try on some shoes hahaha.

Sam, if you want to explore the application of the 5D in film you might be interested to know that the final two episodes of the current season of House (tagged 20 and 21) were completely filmed using a 5D.

woah thats pretty cool. any chance you know what lens were used?

Just want to make a recommendation, I went to China Bar Buffet last Friday for dinner and it was really good.

http://www.chinabarsignature.com/

I wasn't expecting it to be good coz it's China Bar lol, but it's nothing like the ones in the city. They have excellent sushi and sashimi for a buffet, the sashimi is cut for you when you ask, the chinese roasts were good, peking duck was good, I didn't try the dim sum, curries, chilli or seafood, mostly ate sashimi and roast meat. The desserts were the low point but overall the food is very good. It is now my equal fave buffet along with Melba. Although Conservatory have the best desserts, so I just go there for dessert buffet sometimes which is pretty good value for $20.50 with coffee, considering some places charge $16 for a slice of cake.

hey china bar is okay after a night of drinking and the only other things left open are maccas and hungry jacks haha. lulz @ the session times, I'm disgraceful at buffets but all you can eat roast meat and sushi/sashimi sounds too good to pass up. :o shame about the desserts, all you can eat cendol...

Hit up Rice Queen for sure - always really fresh and the prices are decent.

Old Kingdom is so good, the duck is insane. So many amazing places to eat along smith st, other noteable mentions:

Coconut Palms for Vietnamese

Shoubu for Japanese

Mama Vittoria for the best Pasta ever.

Siya for homegrown salads and amazing burgers on Thursdays.

Just want to make a recommendation, I went to China Bar Buffet last Friday for dinner and it was really good.

http://www.chinabarsignature.com/

I wasn't expecting it to be good coz it's China Bar lol, but it's nothing like the ones in the city. They have excellent sushi and sashimi for a buffet, the sashimi is cut for you when you ask, the chinese roasts were good, peking duck was good, I didn't try the dim sum, curries, chilli or seafood, mostly ate sashimi and roast meat. The desserts were the low point but overall the food is very good. It is now my equal fave buffet along with Melba. Although Conservatory have the best desserts, so I just go there for dessert buffet sometimes which is pretty good value for $20.50 with coffee, considering some places charge $16 for a slice of cake.

blehhh i live pretty close to china bar buffet (like 15 min drive) and ive been meaning to go for ages

everyone i know who has gone has said it was awesome, but expensive

still, this makes me want to go even more

I actually didn't enjoy Old Kingdom that much, but it seems my partner and I are the only ones though. The peking duck was mad oily and was probably deep fried (peking duck's usually roasted) but I'm sensitive to oily things anyway.

Pretty ashamed I'm not that familiar with the Smith St eateries considering I've stayed here for over a year... usually cook at home and the odd night we feel like eating out it seems pretty stupid to just walk out 2 mins away... not quite a 'night out'! The only places I eat at regularly are Proud Mary and Pizza Capers (don't let the franchise concept turn you off... shit is REAL good).

Thanks for the recommendations 50, always knew there was good shit around here but were regularly let down the rare occasions we decide to be adventurous. Tried Wood Spoon and it sucked, Coconut Palms was super oily and gross (again, a pet peeve), one of the Korean places and it was mediocre, and the other Jap places near Gertrude and they fucked up curry, which I ordered specifically because it's impossible to fuck up. THE SAUCE COMES IN BLOCKS THAT YOU JUST STIR INTO HOT WATER PEOPLE FUCK

Oh and RE: beanies, the best ones are super cheapass ones from korean sellers on eBay seriously. Free shipping, and the best beanies I've ever gotten are from there.

and the other Jap places near Gertrude and they fucked up curry, which I ordered specifically because it's impossible to fuck up. THE SAUCE COMES IN BLOCKS THAT YOU JUST STIR INTO HOT WATER PEOPLE FUCK

I ordered curry chicken don from one of the "japanese" places around the docklands last week and they used fucking keen's curry powder to make it. :mad: needless to say I've finally learnt my lesson regarding the asian (japanese, vietnamese and chinese/malaysian/thai, all equally shit) takeaway food around the area, stick with the passable char siu banh mi and raw salmon rolls and avoid everything else like the plague.