australia :: melbourne :: shopping

Tyro1

I like what you posted up there wept. Here are some quotes that really suit this discussion.

"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known." - Chuck Palahniuk

There is no limit to what can be accomplished if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I don't believe there is such a thing as an 'uninfluenced' heart. Everything you do, see, hear and experience has an affect on you. We say here that RO is a leader in this industry. But wasn't he influenced by something as well? In fact, he started off working for a company that cut up designer clothes to make rip offs. That would of played a part in his sartorial work as well as his vision. Everything in his life has probably influenced his vision, and it might even include other designers. Often we pay credit to the person who we 'saw' do something first, regardless of where the original idea stemmed from. Let's not get caught up and start comparing everything new that comes up as 'influenced imitation RO'.

It's natural for new-comers to be compared to the more established, but you'll never know how strong their own (evolving) vision is unless you give them a chance. I find BBS is in this situation. I gave it a chance, and it doesn't feel like RO at all. BBS FW10 thread in the other forum has some discussion on this too.

^ Awesome isn't it? One of my favorite quotes that I will always remember.

Also I wanted to add to my previous post and state the obvious. I think taking influence from another designer is perfectly fine as long as you 'make it your own'.

And replying to your 'look with your eyes' comment Rob. This might sound corny and gay but...maybe you look with your eyes too much. I think you should take a more open-minded perspective on the whole situation. More designers doing goth-ninja just means more variety for us. This market is anything but saturated...I mean most of us here can name an entire fit pic's labels worn down to the fuking socks. Lol. And we all stick to the firm belief that money can't buy style, so what's the problem in this expensive niche?

Maybe years down the track one of these 'influenced RO' designers will create something awesomely better than anything we've experienced. We should give it a chance.

As have been previously mentioned bob, we are not in a position to say whether something is derivative or not, or whether a designer designs from their heart. The whole thing is higly subjective, and of course we are biased by our experiences.

Something to consider: there are a tonne of designers in the world pushing boundaries and doing their thing. But how many are recognised and brought to our attention? And furthermore, goth ninja cannot by any stretch of the imagaination be considered as saturated. Boot cut jeans, white leather slip ons and dress shirts on the other hand is.

^Dont't be like that. We could discuss our night. Like how i got wasted, ate a real nice lamb pizza, passed out on my mate's couch, vomited said pizza out in his toilet basin after waking up, clogged the drain, cleaned it out with my bare hands, and then walked an hour home cos i'm too cheap to call a cab.

Yeah i was aware enough to roll up the sleeves of Vincent's leather jacket prior to entering the 'abyss'.

Just a suggestion.

Aha yh, the work jacket.

Speaking of which, i'm interested to sell if the price is right.

Sz 48 black nappa work jacket

Sz 46 black nappa strapped neck bomber (shoulder pads removed by tailor)

Been thinking about a Boris leather actually ;p

Hmm, Rob (same name ahah),

Chances..

Why aren't we discussing about Australian designers then? Abit contradictory here me finds. Don't they have, in some way deserved some recognition, like you guys had for BBS then? It's very similar "experimental" vision/ aesthetics most of you are accepting.. no? Was it the distance, between "leaders" and "followers" are way apart?

Now I can say this is because not until they defined who they are, I don't have chances for them.. but I have absolutely no hate for them.

Yeah I always found it weird to call somebody else the same name as myself. Since you were here first I can be Rob2. LOL :P I would like to discuss all of your points but we've drowned out this thread enough, so I'll just be brief and maybe we'll take it to pm again.

'Chances' for me are granted strangely...probably best described on a basis of 'convenience'. What has been recommended by people who share a similar mindset. What has already gained enough reputation to attract my attention. What I can find physically available. Example: I gave CM a chance when I was in Melbourne last year cause I visited its store. But I haven't given Triampee a chance because people like yourselves don't recommend it. This is all because I don't have spare time in my life to go through everything. Chances seem to have a screening process first.

I think it's perfectly fine that you will only give chances to designers you believe have a concrete vision, as that's your style. But there will always be other people who have a lower threshold, and try out more things.

I don't just look at one particular painting from an artist, I look at, if possibly, the entire work, past and present, and read what was available about him, which sometimes, I know, biased, and then need to predict again his future work

This goes into the discussion of authorship. Do you look at clothes for what it is, alone. Or do you put context into clothes by relating it to the entire collection and story behind it. So do you look at a 'drape' shirt by Julius, or do you look at a 'imperfect industrially damage-pulled' shirt by Julius. This discussion is also a matter of preference as you, Rob, would say that you need to look at an item with its background and story behind it. Some people prefer just look at a item alone, without the designer's story. And then let their own imagination take the item to where they want it to be.

Enough of this I'm drained lol. Good discussion now back to the where2kopz. :)

Any recommendations on a casual (linen?) white suit? Something that looks like its gone through the country side...or the zombie apocalypse.

Also, quick nerd question: I have a macbook Pro Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo), and I recently upgraded my internet to 30Mbps, but I can only achieve those speeds when connected to my wireless router via ethernet cable. What is limiting my wireless speed? Is it the bigpond router or my oldschool macbook? Or both? How to fix? Where2kop?

^ router, your macbook pro has a 802.11g capable wireless card which has a theoretical max of 54Mbps. need to cop new router, I have this linksys one and it's good (and cheap).

you actually get close to those speeds on Telstra cable (also why in god's name are you with Telstra??)? recently upgraded to the 150gb plan from optus, actually get over 2MB/s at times which is fantastic.

Yeah, I plugged in the ethernet cable and did the various speed tests and the line speed was 30Mbps which is good. Why am I with telstra you ask? Good fucking question! When I signed up, optus plans were shit, and ADSL2+ was going to be too expensive to install, so I went with Telstra.

I just upgraded to their 'elite' cable on their new offer, so I have doubled my download limit (to a poultry 25GB, but no off-peak split) and increased my speed by over 4 times, and I get a home phone line; and it only costs me an extra $10 a month ($70 all up including the home phone).

It also turns out the phone connection cost was only $59, instead of the first advised $299, so that was good news.

Looks like I'll have to get a new router then. Why the fuck do Telstra sell a service with speeds their routers can't handle?

I just realised my current bigpond modem also doubles as the router, is that going to be a problem with something like the Linksys? Or do I just plug it into the modem and use it as the wireless router? Is this the best option, or would I be better buying a new combined modem/router?

Seems like there shouldn't be a problem with your setup, I'd take a look at the router's settings to see if it came with any QoS settings and probably try to eliminate the possibility of interference from other devices in the house. This happens even if you're using wireless right next to the router right?

was thinking about changing to TPG but changing phone lines is mad effort and while I've heard TPG is great when it works if you ever have any issues you're basically on your own. that and always on cable where you don't need to worry about distance to exchange, etc. is convenient.

Only ISPs worth a hoot in Australia are Internode and iiNet. Do you guys live in areas that don't have ADSL2+ or something? Then again it seems that you guys don't have oversubscribing problems with your cable connect in your area so that's good.

Edit: Damien is right, sounds like you're on 802.11b Adam. Go to your router page and check the wifi settings.

I use Internode cos TPG (which I originally wanted) ran out of spots for ADSL2+ here. It's far more costly at 75/mo for 40 GB but apparently the customer service is the best, although I haven't had to use it much but it fucking sucks when shit fails and you get some guy on the phone who doesn't speak English and doesn't give a shit.

Also, Internode has tons of unmetered content so it doesn't add to the limit.

Edit: Damien is right, sounds like you're on 802.11b Adam. Go to your router page and check the wifi settings.

Check my router settings, but there is no option to change it. I did some looking through whirlpool and it turns out that 30Mbps speeds aren't capable over a wireless G connection.

Looks like I'll plug in my PS3 with an ethernet cable, and bear the 12Mbps speeds on my Laptop (unless I want to download something big).

Thanks for your help guys...

*goes back to waiting for Augustas*