australia :: melbourne :: shopping

Tyro1

The last time I was in Assin I had a good experience in two of the stores...the city one and fitzroy? But when I went to the one near Chapel St...I think it was closing down...or starting up...or something. But anyway there was only one SA and she was helping a few people already before I entered the store. So she was completely devoting her attention to them which is 100% fine with me as I was just browsing. I wanted to try on a shirt, and since she was in full conversation I decided to just quickly pop into the change room. Came out, didn't like it, went back and got changed. I noticed the people the SA was talking to left while I was getting changed. The moment I came out the SA literally walked past me, not even acknowledging my existence, and took the shirt out of my hands and put it back on the rack. Was as if I didn't even deserve trying it on cause I was some sort of beggar. Fucking rude.

I had a really good time at Marais and the Little Collin's Assin though, so overall that kinda outweighs the melb retail experience with that bitch. But I agree with Rob...you feel hell guilty when you try on so much stuff and don't buy anything...

The staff at Marais have been great both times that I've been there. Super friendly and very helpful. The staff at Assin are usually pretty unfriendly, although I had a good experience with a really nice Asian guy at the Sydney store. They can probably tell that I'm too peasant to buy anything in the store. :(

also, received an email

l.e.f.t is having sales right now

M.A+, Comme Des Garcons Comme Des Garcons, Y’s, Peachoo + Krejberg, Marsell, Gareth Pugh, Munoz Vrandecic, etc.

haul haul haul! they got a size 46 aviator in brown too. might be gone. : \

also, received an email

l.e.f.t is having sales right now

M.A+, Comme Des Garcons Comme Des Garcons, Y’s, Peachoo + Krejberg, Marsell, Gareth Pugh, Munoz Vrandecic, etc.

haul haul haul! they got a size 46 aviator in brown too. might be gone. : \

thx man i need to go there now even though i have no money

That's the thing Ben, most people think that he's Japanese food but he was intensely Australian.

Australian produce, Australian wine (I admit that for 90 bucks for the wine, I would have liked to see non-Australian wines offered, I had a sake, 3 whites, 3 reds and 2 stickies, only non-Aussie alco was the sake) but international methods of cooking.

It was an experience but I have a feeling that I would've enjoyed myself more at Quay or Marque.

Hmmm I looked over the offerings at Maze and I felt it was a little bit wanky. Lots of foam and airy things which is really the high-collar/cowl-neck, asymmetric zipper of the culinary world circa 2009-2010.

If you like the meat, I really liked La Luna in North Carlton which I visited the last time I was in Melbourne.

Sorry I forgot which thread it was but, did somebody here try out the business shirts by Uniqlo? Or the +J? How did it go?

Or if anybody has any recommendations on business shirts that hold up well and are slim fitting, would be appreciated.

I tried the Press Club and thoroughly enjoyed that. Place is decently priced and actually fills you up as well. Wanted to try Nobu too but friends weren't keen to dropping that much money on sushi lol..

I like David Lawrence. Good price for the fabrics and fit although they've discontinued their men's line. Picked up a plain blue work shirt last month in Sydney DFO for like 30 dollars or something when retail is around 160ish. Too easy.

Sorry I forgot which thread it was but, did somebody here try out the business shirts by Uniqlo? Or the +J? How did it go?

Or if anybody has any recommendations on business shirts that hold up well and are slim fitting, would be appreciated.

uniqlo is all you need. I have over 20 of these, fit perfectly and have all held up really well with minimal ironing required after a machine wash.

all of Julius' FW10 leather jackets are something of a misfire imo, was hoping for good things from the midwinter collection but neither the goat leather jut or reverse steer mandarin collar is doing anything for me. the raglan back shoulders are interesting however all the other details suck and the fit is mad boxy. steer reverse looks hella coarse, curious to handle it but would never cop...

I tried to look up the 7th morning section but it's just a placeholder page right now, I'm no match for your picture hunting skillz.

goat leather jut has a really interesting greenish 'zombie' color, steer reverse mandarin collar looks like you can strike a match on it. I can't see a rush for those jackets vs the rider/cowl-neck. you found anything else that's interesting?

I tried the Press Club and thoroughly enjoyed that. Place is decently priced and actually fills you up as well. Wanted to try Nobu too but friends weren't keen to dropping that much money on sushi lol..

Yeah that was me, I bought this in light blue:

http://store.uniqlo.com/jp/CSaGoods/304609-69

The measurements are a bit deceiving though, I thought the L would be too big so I got M and it ended up being too small. I definately recommend it though, great fit and quality for the price.

Cheers Benny and dji. Uniqlo hasn't let me down yet so I'll definitely have a look into it. Dji, which shirts did you get that didn't require ironing? I hate ironing...lol.

^ Did the measurements actually turn out wrong B, or did they just fit smaller? I wear about 46, or size 2/3, what size would you reckon I am?

Thanks guys.

You're a Uniqlo M.

Edit just to clarify: while the measurements of each category of 'qlo item might differ, especially for their button up shirts, I've found that as long as you stick to your size (mine and Ben's being L, meaning you're most likely an M) all your 'qlo purchases would fit just fine since they're made for certain chest sizes (L being 96 ~ 102cm chests iirc)