australia :: melbourne :: shopping

Tyro1

well there's a '50% sale' on until midnight, i'm getting around $700 return for the dates i'm interested in. i'd be going from mid-nov. i'm not exactly foreseeing another jetstar sale before then so i may just lash out.

what's jetstar normal rate to tokyo return? i vaguely remember $1100 when i searched a month or so ago.

(off topic sorry)

Does anyone know what is going on with V&V? I was looking forward to the next collection

also anyone selling any of their V&V jackets in size 46 or 48?

I want to get the whole first season :)

Yeah take it @ 700, the other sale a couple of months ago was for that period too, doubt it will be that cheap again unless they have spare seats.

Only thing I cannot stand about flying with Jetstar is the stop at Cairns, leaving Melbourne in the morning and getting there a few hours later you're suddenly hit by the massive change temperature and humidity. Plus there's no Qantas Club there :(

(off topic sorry)

Does anyone know what is going on with V&V? I was looking forward to the next collection

also anyone selling any of their V&V jackets in size 46 or 48?

I want to get the whole first season :)

I'm also interested in knowing this! I need more leather jackets. Also I've got a black work jacket in 46 that I was thinking of selling a month ago, but I think I'm far too emotionally attatched to it sell :(

PS: hello James

still haven't responded to my email. wonder if they'll have photos on hand to email me..

Dude took photo's of some stuff and sent them to me after I called and we discussed what I was after. So probably easier to call first.

Other stuff they have on sale if anyone interested:

RO size small:

woven zipper vest was 1035 now 515

long leather zipper vest was 1870 now 935

and

Ann D white hitop chucks was 995 now 495 - sz 41 (fits 42)

RO combat boots sz42 now 720

i am fucking weeping at those JP flight prices. i've gone twice now and am embarrassed to say how much i paid (a hell of alot more than $700, that's for sure).

I did too.. :(

There was a deal going on before, Malaysia > Korea...for $30!? Sigh...wish I had the audacity to wait for such great deals...

I'm still here :) There will be a new (paid) V&V thread when everything is ready. It inadvertently gets dragged into conversations everywhere else but I'm not wanting to shill V&V, so until then, my posting is taking a backseat to focus on having the new collection ready for (capsule) NY.

Much love.

I completed a Bachelor of Vis Com at Monash. I guess the main strength of doing it there is they encourage diversity and allow students to explore their own personal styles in a range of mediums and/or processes - you could say they take more of a fine arts approach where as the other courses, although good, tend to spew out students with folios too reminiscent of each other. I went to every (worthwhile) graduate show 3 years running (RMIT, Swinburne, Monash) and it was really obvious the teachers where injecting their own design philosophies on the students at the other two.

Swinburne offer IBL which is a great way to get a years worth of industry placement (my friend landed an amazing job through his) and RMIT offer the opportunity to be a part of 'The Works' which is basically an in-house studio where students get to work on real projects outside of uni breifs.

I highly recommend Monash and think it's the best choice right now for vis com in Melb, the open endedness of the course has produced some really good students in the past few years overshadowing the other institutions. Keep in mind like anything, the course is what you make of it.. and considering how competitive (and slow) the design industry is right now I recommend you work your face off!

Send me a pm if you want to know anything in particular.

thanks 50.

yeah i completed an advanced diploma of Multimedia 2 years ago and ive done freelance work since then, however i want to attain more skills in visual communication and print media. I studied fine art (dropped out) at Monash and loved the campus, but hated the course. The diversity of the campus and its courses are what draws me to Monash, as it will allow me to pick up skills i want rather than just be taught the same thing as every other student studying the same course.

and yes i totally agree with your statement that the design industry is slow atm, which sucks when so many people are looking for work due to the last couple of years when no one was hiring.

I can't speak highly enough of SAA suiting (the rest of their stuff is meh). I have 2 pairs of pants, and 2 suits from them and they have held up well. Great value for money, and I get tonnes of compliments.

i need to get my shit together and buy a black suit for next weekend. cheap is best, considering i never wear suits. what are the SAA price-points? can i cop SAA in melbourne?

other options?

thanks 50.

yeah i completed an advanced diploma of Multimedia 2 years ago and ive done freelance work since then, however i want to attain more skills in visual communication and print media. I studied fine art (dropped out) at Monash and loved the campus, but hated the course. The diversity of the campus and its courses are what draws me to Monash, as it will allow me to pick up skills i want rather than just be taught the same thing as every other student studying the same course.

and yes i totally agree with your statement that the design industry is slow atm, which sucks when so many people are looking for work due to the last couple of years when no one was hiring.

just out of curiosity, did you do your diploma at TAFE? how did you find it? i did cert IV/diploma of multimeida straight out of high school and found it pretty useless (diploma especially). it never got me anywhere and i was definitely in the top few of my class, mainly because i live in adelaide and your options are so limited. i basically gave up after a year of looking for work. i used to be actually pretty decent with flash and have now forgotten all of it in the years since (due to not using it). :(

just out of curiosity, did you do your diploma at TAFE? how did you find it? i did cert IV/diploma of multimeida straight out of high school and found it pretty useless (diploma especially). it never got me anywhere and i was definitely in the top few of my class, mainly because i live in adelaide and your options are so limited. i basically gave up after a year of looking for work. i used to be actually pretty decent with flash and have now forgotten all of it in the years since (due to not using it). :(

hey conqueror. ive always been artistic which is why i studied an advanced diploma of multimedia at tafe. i found it to be a good course but its to open and it allows each student to produce something via there own means. this 'openness' is both a blessing and a curse as until you know what the industry wants (you find out when you finish the course and start looking for work) you dont really know how to express your ideas while studying. the problem i have is the course was too broad and im now looking to attain a higher qualification in a more specific field (print media).

Im sure people have got work out fo doing a diploma in multimedia, however ive found that places are limited and there are way too many people looking for work, both this year and last year. During the time i have spend in the industry ive come to realise that a lot of creative types cannot draw for shit. They just get a stock image, manipulate it, add text (typography skills) and then ship it to client. At first this amazed me, but the truth is illustration and graphic design are 2 totally different things.

ive found that if you dont have a degree in anything youre unlikely to get full time 9am to 5pm work, which sucks. like i said earlier, too many people not enough jobs.

hey conqueror. ive always been artistic which is why i studied an advanced diploma of multimedia at tafe. i found it to be a good course but its to open and it allows each student to produce something via there own means. this 'openness' is both a blessing and a curse as until you know what the industry wants (you find out when you finish the course and start looking for work) you dont really know how to express your ideas while studying. the problem i have is the course was too broad and im now looking to attain a higher qualification in a more specific field (print media).

Im sure people have got work out fo doing a diploma in multimedia, however ive found that places are limited and there are way too many people looking for work, both this year and last year. During the time i have spend in the industry ive come to realise that a lot of creative types cannot draw for shit. They just get a stock image, manipulate it, add text (typography skills) and then ship it to client. At first this amazed me, but the truth is illustration and graphic design are 2 totally different things.

ive found that if you dont have a degree in anything youre unlikely to get full time 9am to 5pm work, which sucks. like i said earlier, too many people not enough jobs.

thanks for your perspective man. i definitely agree about it being too broad. i did my diploma back in '06 so it might have changed, but we basically did one day of photoshop/graphic design, one day of web design (dreamweaver), one day of flash, one day of video editing (premiere) and one day of 3d modelling/animation. its seriously just too much and you never got enough time to focus on anything. i was always good at photoshop and flash but i fucking sucked at web design (html, css etc) and 3d animation (loved it but i found it too technical). i looked solidly for work and found nothing. i was young (19) and couldn't get my foot in anywhere, it got really disheartening so i stopped trying and worked in shitty retail for a few years. to me it proved the old 'its who you know, not what you know' motto is definitely true, especially in small cities like adelaide. i know your work is meant to speak for itself but i didn't see it that way at all. 9 of us graduated with the diploma and i only know of 1 person who went on to work in some sort of 'multimedia' field - he is doing web design for nova radio. with the exception of photoshop, since finishing i have basically forgotten every program i learnt. :(

good luck with the future, really. the uni course sounds awesome. don't give up!

ps i was one of the people you mentioned who sucked at drawing, too. :)